“STAY ELSEWHERE”

Clarion Inn & Suites
Ranked #32 of 51 Hotels in Harrisburg
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Have stayed at other hotels with similar or better value, but this one was the worst. We rented three rooms for our extended family for three nights, and this is a summary of all three rooms.
1. Tub water was dirty, and the toilet kept getting clogged.
2. Sheets were all over the place when we came back to the room around 5 pm, as if someone had left in the middle of cleaning. Waited patiently after being told we were next, but had to still go get them an hour later after no one came.... apparently, they had forgotten,
3. Worst of all, my expensive perfume was stolen. I left the perfume out of my bag in a hurry, but when I came back, it was gone. I should have been more careful, yes, but they still should not have stolen in the first place.
4. AC was not working properly in all of the rooms.
Please choose a different place for a similar value, this was not a good experience.

Room Tip: Just go elsewhere, and keep an eye on your stuff.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank SamShaz

Reviewed 1 July 2013

I got a good deal on this as I was driving home to Pittsburgh from Newark after an international flight and wanted to drive half way. I had booked this in advance and arrived at 6pm. Mine and many other rooms had not yet been cleaned although the hotel was booked solid. Anyway, the front desk was very nice and gave me the keys to my room. Well, like others I got to my room and it was filthy. The bed had not been changed. Towels on the floor, chewing tobacco in the waste cans and a couch that looked like it came from a frat house. i went down to the desk and to their credit they gave me another room with no trouble when I pointed out the problems. with the room. That room was very nice, although the coffee maker was there, but the coffee pot was missing. I would have given the experience a "Poor" but for the breakfast. The people running this were brilliant. They were friendly, helpful and went out of their way to make sure everyone was taken care of i a very good way. This and the service at the front desk saved the day. However, the dirty room was a definite turn off. While I appreciate that they made right the problems and had a good breakfast, I would not stay there again.

Room Tip: Make sure when you book that they have the room ready at 3pm as they are supposed.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank pugachev1
Reviewed 19 June 2013

My colleague and I stayed for two nights in early June. Total AAA rate for the two nights, with two beds, no smoking, was $136, including tax. We had a first floor room with two doors, one directly to the parking lot, the other just off the lobby. When we asked, the staff brought in a combo microwave/mini refrigerator, no extra charge. Our room was clean, the beds comfortable, and the WiFi was ok. We saw there was a pool, and my colleague used the fitness room. We saw there was a breakfast room with a decent selection of food, as well as a microwave and hot pot available 24/7 in the lobby. The motel is very well situated, just off route 81, on North Progress Avenue, which is a short distance from Linglestown Road, with a terrific Giant supermarket. In short, we had a good experience in a standard motel, at an excellent rate, so I'm rating 4 stars, one extra for the value received.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 June 2013

My family rented the Spacious "Apartment" Suite because we have 7 people in the family. When we arrived to check in, we were greeted by a friendly agent at the front desk. We were very excited and anxious to get to our room because we all were tired after driving 9 hours. Upon entering the "suite" we found the entire suite to be the most disgusting, unsafe, unsanitary room I have ever seen. There were exposed electrical wires hanging from the ceilings and out of the walls where switches should be. For curtains on the windows, they used bath towels. The air conditioning units in neither of the 2 rooms did not work as the tv's only got 1 or 2 channels. The TV's were from the 1990's and did not have remote controls. As far as the bathroom, it had nasty little creepy bugs in the shower. At this time, we went to the front desk and told the clerk that this was not going to work for us and we needed to be moved to a cleaner, safer room. He flat out told us that he would never rent the room to anyone, however he did just check us into the room 15 minutes prior. we were looking forward to having a kitchen in our room along with a washer and dryer. We had neither, not even a refrigerator or a microwave. We were put into 2 seperate rooms so my family could not even be together for our vacation. It was a complete disaster. In our new bathrooms, both bathtubs filled with water due to being clogged as we were taking showers. We also received no room cleanings the entire stay, even after complaining to the front desk each and every day, which we stayed 4 nights only because all area hotels were booked. We also were told that we needed to take our own trash out to the dumpster out back when we emptied it. We were in town for a dance competition and everywhere was booked solid. After returning home, 5 days later one of my children had lice eggs in their head. GROSS!!!! The breakfast was not as expected, however I must say that the breakfast service gentleman was very nice and did a great job. He along with the manager Chris were the only positive part of our stay. I most definately would not recommend this property to anyone at this time. We were told that they could be doing some extensive remodeling and possibly new management/owners so if that does happen it could change things for the better. Think before you book on this property. Also, pet policy states that small pets, 20 or 25 pounds are okay. Tell me how and why they allowed a Doberman Pincher in the hotel. It at least was on a leash, while one day my family was in the lobby after breakfast and a Pit Bull came running thru the lobby and it started to growl and ran at my 4 year old son. The front desk girl did not do anything about it.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Stephanie L
Reviewed 4 June 2013 via mobile

We went to Harrisburg to pick up some paperwork. But, ended up stopping by the Firemans Expo too.
Personal was great, questions were answered. Somehow our request for smoking room got messed up.... resolved within 5 mins. Would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 1 June 2013

My trip was for a week, and advertised features which resulted in my booking this hotel included high speed WiFi, pool, fitness center, cable tv and free breakfast. When I arrived it was 95 degrees, and the pool was not open. The WiFi was so slow it was useless. I was told that there had been a recent accident which disrupted the WiFi signal. The 'fitness center' is a little room with a few pieces of exercise equipment, most which didn't work very well. This exercise room could easily be improved by spending $100 to get a floor mat for stretching, an exercise ball and a few free weights. The tv was on satellite signal (I believe Dish) with access to only about a dozen stations which did not include the main cable stations I like: FX, CNBC, Fox News, A&E, AMC, VH1, or PBS. I felt like I was in a cave without access to the outside world! Plus it was an older model tv without HD. It was not fun trying to watch the NBA playoffs using antiquated technology.
The rooms were cheaply constructed and cheaply furnished. A couple of times, I had trouble getting the key card to work. I asked for a quiet room, but for two of the days there, they put some noisy kids in the room next door. The prefab shower/tub in the bathroom was not fit properly and coming out from the wall. The water pressure was so low in the sink, it was hard to wash your face. There was no plug for the bathroom sink. There was no in-room mini-fridge. The furnishings looked like they were bought in bulk at a Salvation Army resale shop. Overall a pretty drab room. And they forgot to make up my room the first day of my stay.
On the good side, it was fairly clean. At least there were no roaches, rodents or crawling insects! And the breakfast was decent and reliable.

Room Tip: Rooms on the NW side have two entrances, one from the parking lot and the other from the inside hall...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 April 2013

20 min ride from the fairgrounds; nice, clean hotel room. right off the highway. Breakfast was good. Would definitely go back again next time. Close to Hrshey also. Guy at front desk was very helpful with info on local attractions.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple