“Renovations but still nice”

Clarion Inn & Suites
Ranked #32 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Stayed here during the Farm show event. They are renovating , but if that does not bother you it is a nice location. 3 minute drive to the farm show. We stayed for 8 nights. We were in a partially renovated room, nice new bathroom and beds. The front desk lady told us they were getting all new furniture. Dina was overall very accommodating and was able to help us with directions and local restaurants. Will be excited to return once renovations are complete but nice just the same. Breakfast was actually really good, our kids love the make your own waffles. Overall, we had a nice visit and got some business accomplished.

Room Tip: The pool is not open, other than that ask for the third floor. (rooms are halfway renovated, at leas...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
AGM_PA156, Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback on your recent stay. We greatly appreciate your kind words of praise while we are renovating. We are glad you found the breakfast, rooms, and staff pleasing. I will pass on your kind compliments to Dina in regard to your stay. Our staff enjoys going above and beyond for our guests and find it rewarding when guests find our staff to be accommodating. We look forward to seeing you on your next travels through the area.

There are newer reviews for Clarion Inn & Suites

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Needed a clean, safe place near Hershey Park for one night, but didn't want to pay a fortune. And that's exactly what I got.The property is undergoing renovations so the pool was closed. In my room, there were light bulbs in only a few of the fixtures. Hot but no cold water in the sink. Exposed wires near the temperature control unit. However, I did get a very good rate that included a hot breakfast and the bed and pillows were comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
AGM_PA156, Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thank you taking the time to leave us feedback on your recent stay. We are pleased to hear you found our establishment to be clean and safe. We take pride on providing a clean atmosphere for our guests. The outdoor pool will remain closed for the rest of the summer. After renovations, the pool will become an indoor salt water pool. We want to provide a pool all year long, so our guests are able to use it. We do include a hot complimentary breakfast buffet, which includes: potatoes, eggs, sausage, bacon, waffles, and plenty more. Our beds are brand new, as well as our linen and pillows. We hope to see you again, on your next travels through the area.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

We were given a newly renovated room and found out later we were the first ones to stay in it. Despite the renovations it was awful. We couldn't close the curtains, the ceiling plaster was sprayed into the track and had dried. Some of the plaster chunks and dust had fallen into the A/C vents so when it blew, the room smelled bad. My nose became plugged up during the night and we couldn't turn off the A/C because it would have been too hot. We alerted the desk clerk about the curtain problem immediately but that room had the same problem. He sent up a maint. person (turned out just a 20 year old that didn't speak much English) to force the curtain closed. The chair in the room was very stained so I didn't feel comfortable sitting in it. There was no hair dryer and no pop machine stocked or working in the entire hotel. Our room had a loose wire sticking out from the wall as did the other room we were offered. The breakfast lady was polite but only made a few servings of eggs, etc at a time so there were long waits between servings. All the hallways were dusty and smelly. Most moldings pulled off walls. Midway through my daughter's shower she ran out of water, not just hot water, all water! We could not use the business center. The deskclerk offered to print things out for us but that defeats any privacy issue involved.
The only thing nice about our room was the new bed, it was comfortable.
When I tried to relate a few of the other issues we had at checkout the clerk said I had insisted on a newly renovated room. During a phone call the previous day I had asked if one might be available. I did expect if one were given to a guest it would have been inspected to be sure it met with the Clarion quality expectations. Sadly, this one fell far short.
We have received a 50% discount for our trouble after I completed an online survey.
Another couple checking out at the same time mentioned their toilet chain not being connected in the tank.

Room Tip: wait until renovations are complete before staying
2  Thank slpgradstu

Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback on your recent stay. I want to sincerely apologize your stay failed beneath your expectations. Our beds are completely brand new, and we will have everything renovated here shortly. We are receiving new couches, tables, desks, curtains, microwaves, refrigerators, and credenzas in the next few weeks. We apologize it was stated the room was completely renovated, as our renovations are not complete. We do not have fully renovated rooms, except the bathrooms and carpet are brand new. I spoke to my breakfast attendant in regard to replenishing the food more often. It was surely my pleasure to offer you the discount in regard to your stay. I do apologize again, and hope once our renovations are complete you visit us again.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

At first this hotel seemed okay, but it kept getting worse. The check-in clerk was fine and helpful, but after we checked we found that the toilet did not flush. My husband tried to fix it, but it still didn't work. One of the beds had a small stain that did not look like it had been washed. We then switched rooms and things seemed better until I shut the bathroom door behind me and it locked all by itself. The clerk said, when she unlocked it, that something was wrong with the lock on the door and it stayed locked...so it couldn't be closed all the way unless you were actually in the bathroom...as it would open from inside, just not from outside.
While the hotel was undergoing renovations, some things were good, like the beds were new and the carpet seemed fairly new. However, the new wallpaper was already peeling off at one place on the wall in our 2nd room. The new counter tops were nice, but you could see in some places, around the edges, that they just couldn't cover everything up. The final straw was when the shower didn't drain properly! It's stinks to have to take a shower in 2 or 3 inches of water!!! This place did have an okay breakfast, but wasn't work the $69 we were charged.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
AGM_PA156, Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear Imgreeso001,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback on your recent stay. Unfortunately the rooms you were in , are not renovated yet. We are still under going renovations, with better quality of products. Everything in our hotel is being completely redone, including bathroom doors. We apologize you were dissatisfied with your stay, and the issues experienced. I will have maintenance look into the draining issue you experienced. The beds are in fact brand new. We want to accommodate our guests as best as possible, and are working on creating a better atmosphere. Our new renovations will include, all new showers, vanities, amenities, bedding, carpet, light fixtures, and an indoor salt water pool; many more new features!

Again, thank you for leaving us feedback. It will help us improve in the future.

We hope you will revisit us once the hotel is completely renovated.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

It was a pleasure being welcomed by Jack when we arrived. He took care of us well. I made some minor suggestions to management upon checkout, but did not note any significant problems and therefore recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
AGM_PA156, Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Thank you for leaving us feedback on your recent stay. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay, and were able to speak with Jack. I will definitely pass on your kind compliments! We are striving to improve and with suggestions, like yours we are able to do so. We really appreciate you taking the time to provide us with the overall guest experience, and hope to see you on your next travels!

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Stayed here because usual accommodations were booked on Memorial Day weekend. Last minute trip to pick up a car. Hotel was being renovated, which it needed. Room was old, tired, but clean (except for carpeting). Sink was plugged. Called the front desk and they sent a maintenance man who could not understand English. He came with a toilet plunger. When I told him it was sink, he flushed toilet. Seeing as how that worked, he turned and looked at me with a puzzled look. I pointed to sink. He turned on the water and did, indeed, see that it was plugged. He proceeded to plunge it with the toilet plunger. Gross! When he left, the front desk called to see if it was fixed. I told him about toilet plunger in sink and asked to have housekeeping come and clean the sink. She was there right away. When going out for evening, front desk clerk informed me there are two plungers, one for sinks, and one for toilets, so maintenance used sink plunger. I informed him maintenance was thinking the toilet needed fixed, so I'm sure he had the toilet plunger. Would consider staying there again once their renovations are done. We had a room that was not yet renovated. Carpet was spotted and dirty. The rest of the room and bathroom seemed to be very clean. Beds were VERY comfortable! Went to breakfast room to get coffee. Free breakfast looked okay, but since we were meeting family for breakfast, we just grabbed coffee, juice and a yogurt.

Room Tip: Ask for newly renovated room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
AGM_PA156, Assistant General Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear Julie,

Thank you for leaving feedback on your recent stay! We are pleased to hear you found the room to be clean. We are currently undergoing renovations, and within the next few months everything will be more modern and dated. I do apologize for the issue with the plunger, and will speak to the houseman in regard to proper procedures. Thank you for bringing this matter to my attention. We strive on guest excellence and hope to see you on your next travels through the area.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Overall, this wasn't a bad place. It was being renovated when I stayed here. The wing that my room was in wasn't done yet. The room was clean but dated, same with bathroom. I am sure after the renovations, it will be very nice. Still though, it was a nice place to stay. The breakfast was not that good. Go elsewhere for breakfast. The bacon is horrible and they only put out enough food to make sure it will all be taken and none will go to waste so you are always waiting on a new batch to be served. Plenty of parking and it is close enough to restaurants and gas etc. The bed was probably one of the best I have ever slept on. Very comfortable. I would stay here again if I needed to return to Harrisburg.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Ross,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review on your stay. We are pleased to hear you had a good night's rest. We are currently renovating all the rooms at the property, and everything will be completely modern when finished. We are redoing everything from carpet, bedding, light fixtures, pictures, walls, bathrooms, creating an indoor pool, and much more!

In regard to breakfast, we are currently training our breakfast attendants to replenish the breakfast more often. We want our guests to feel our hotel is a home away from home, and will improve with your feedback. I thank you for bringing this to my attention.

We hope to see you when you visit the area again, and hope you are able to experience our upcoming renovations!