“Lousy Customer Service, Rooms Sub-Par”

Clarion Inn & Suites
Ranked #32 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Baden, PA
“Lousy Customer Service, Rooms Sub-Par”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

This was not a pleasant stay in any way. We were not greeted by Janet at the front desk. She apparently hates her job and did her best to annoy us. She was rude and condescending. It continually amazes me that I'm treated as though THEY are spending THEIR money and not the other way around. Things didn't get better. Our room had a large stain on the rug. The sofa was stained and sagging. No one should sit on it without getting a tetanus shot first. The bathroom door lock was covered over with duct tape on the door side and the plate on the frame would swing around every time the door was opened or closed. Only one light in the bathroom worked. The lamp shades by the bed were torn on the inside creating an interesting pattern when lit. I could go on and on. Yes, this hotel is undergoing renovations. However, these items were not part of the renovations. The air conditioning unit is quite loud, however, we had a room that faced the interstate and the traffic noise was worse. So we ran the air conditioner continually to cover the traffic noise. The breakfast is the standard "hot" breakfast. On a busy Saturday there were no empty tables and almost all of the food was gone by 8 a.m. Replenishment was quite slow and the two employees handling the breakfast looked very frazzled and also apparently dislike their jobs. Never again!

Room Tip: If you must stay here, ask for a room facing the front of the building.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank retiredandlovinit
AGM_PA156, Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback on your recent stay. I want to apologize on behalf of my entire team for failing to provide you with excellent customer service. I will definitely speak to my staff in regard to the mentioned issues. We are currently undergoing renovations, and will replace the furniture in the rooms once the shipment arrives. We do apologize for the lack of customer service you experienced, and I will implement a new customer service strategy approach for my staff. Again, thank you kindly for bringing these issues to my attention.

Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Suffolk, VA
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Upon checking In I asked for a King bed. The Clerk said "how about a Queen" I assumed they didn't have a King bed room. We got in the room and it was a standard two queen room with one of the beds missing, there was a big open space where the other bed should have been. The mirror was on the floor. I notified the front desk about the mirror to be sure I wouldn't be charged for damages. She said "oh I guess they haven't finished with the room yet. Later my wife tried to take a bath and the drain plug wouldn't work. I notified the front desk, they gave me a different room. This one had a king bed in it, but the bathtub was peeling. There was no guest laundry, and the pool still had the cover on it in July. The customer office had wires hanging down in front of the computer and printer. I saw a room filled with building supplies. They're still doing renovations to the hotel. They should finish before they rent rooms. Had I booked more then one night I would have cut my visit short. I only paid $77.00 for the room but still feel I was overcharged for what I got.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
3 Thank Lets_go_family
Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback on your recent stay. I do apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with the hotel. It is true , we are undergoing renovations and hope you do give us another chance once complete. The pool is currently under renovations as well, as we have recently had it removed from our websites. We intend to make this hotel better than before with brand new everything, including moving the pool indoor. I do apologize we fell short on guest satisfaction, and hope to see you once renovations are complete. Thank you again for bringing these matters to my attention.

Bakersfield, California
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Stayed here during the Farm show event. They are renovating , but if that does not bother you it is a nice location. 3 minute drive to the farm show. We stayed for 8 nights. We were in a partially renovated room, nice new bathroom and beds. The front desk lady told us they were getting all new furniture. Dina was overall very accommodating and was able to help us with directions and local restaurants. Will be excited to return once renovations are complete but nice just the same. Breakfast was actually really good, our kids love the make your own waffles. Overall, we had a nice visit and got some business accomplished.

Room Tip: The pool is not open, other than that ask for the third floor. (rooms are halfway renovated, at leas...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
AGM_PA156, Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback on your recent stay. We greatly appreciate your kind words of praise while we are renovating. We are glad you found the breakfast, rooms, and staff pleasing. I will pass on your kind compliments to Dina in regard to your stay. Our staff enjoys going above and beyond for our guests and find it rewarding when guests find our staff to be accommodating. We look forward to seeing you on your next travels through the area.

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Needed a clean, safe place near Hershey Park for one night, but didn't want to pay a fortune. And that's exactly what I got.The property is undergoing renovations so the pool was closed. In my room, there were light bulbs in only a few of the fixtures. Hot but no cold water in the sink. Exposed wires near the temperature control unit. However, I did get a very good rate that included a hot breakfast and the bed and pillows were comfortable.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
AGM_PA156, Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Thank you taking the time to leave us feedback on your recent stay. We are pleased to hear you found our establishment to be clean and safe. We take pride on providing a clean atmosphere for our guests. The outdoor pool will remain closed for the rest of the summer. After renovations, the pool will become an indoor salt water pool. We want to provide a pool all year long, so our guests are able to use it. We do include a hot complimentary breakfast buffet, which includes: potatoes, eggs, sausage, bacon, waffles, and plenty more. Our beds are brand new, as well as our linen and pillows. We hope to see you again, on your next travels through the area.

NW Ohio
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We were given a newly renovated room and found out later we were the first ones to stay in it. Despite the renovations it was awful. We couldn't close the curtains, the ceiling plaster was sprayed into the track and had dried. Some of the plaster chunks and dust had fallen into the A/C vents so when it blew, the room smelled bad. My nose became plugged up during the night and we couldn't turn off the A/C because it would have been too hot. We alerted the desk clerk about the curtain problem immediately but that room had the same problem. He sent up a maint. person (turned out just a 20 year old that didn't speak much English) to force the curtain closed. The chair in the room was very stained so I didn't feel comfortable sitting in it. There was no hair dryer and no pop machine stocked or working in the entire hotel. Our room had a loose wire sticking out from the wall as did the other room we were offered. The breakfast lady was polite but only made a few servings of eggs, etc at a time so there were long waits between servings. All the hallways were dusty and smelly. Most moldings pulled off walls. Midway through my daughter's shower she ran out of water, not just hot water, all water! We could not use the business center. The deskclerk offered to print things out for us but that defeats any privacy issue involved.
The only thing nice about our room was the new bed, it was comfortable.
When I tried to relate a few of the other issues we had at checkout the clerk said I had insisted on a newly renovated room. During a phone call the previous day I had asked if one might be available. I did expect if one were given to a guest it would have been inspected to be sure it met with the Clarion quality expectations. Sadly, this one fell far short.
We have received a 50% discount for our trouble after I completed an online survey.
Another couple checking out at the same time mentioned their toilet chain not being connected in the tank.

Room Tip: wait until renovations are complete before staying
2 Thank slpgradstu
Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback on your recent stay. I want to sincerely apologize your stay failed beneath your expectations. Our beds are completely brand new, and we will have everything renovated here shortly. We are receiving new couches, tables, desks, curtains, microwaves, refrigerators, and credenzas in the next few weeks. We apologize it was stated the room was completely renovated, as our renovations are not complete. We do not have fully renovated rooms, except the bathrooms and carpet are brand new. I spoke to my breakfast attendant in regard to replenishing the food more often. It was surely my pleasure to offer you the discount in regard to your stay. I do apologize again, and hope once our renovations are complete you visit us again.

Lawsonville, North Carolina
Reviewed 25 June 2014

At first this hotel seemed okay, but it kept getting worse. The check-in clerk was fine and helpful, but after we checked we found that the toilet did not flush. My husband tried to fix it, but it still didn't work. One of the beds had a small stain that did not look like it had been washed. We then switched rooms and things seemed better until I shut the bathroom door behind me and it locked all by itself. The clerk said, when she unlocked it, that something was wrong with the lock on the door and it stayed locked...so it couldn't be closed all the way unless you were actually in the bathroom...as it would open from inside, just not from outside.
While the hotel was undergoing renovations, some things were good, like the beds were new and the carpet seemed fairly new. However, the new wallpaper was already peeling off at one place on the wall in our 2nd room. The new counter tops were nice, but you could see in some places, around the edges, that they just couldn't cover everything up. The final straw was when the shower didn't drain properly! It's stinks to have to take a shower in 2 or 3 inches of water!!! This place did have an okay breakfast, but wasn't work the $69 we were charged.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
AGM_PA156, Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Imgreeso001,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback on your recent stay. Unfortunately the rooms you were in , are not renovated yet. We are still under going renovations, with better quality of products. Everything in our hotel is being completely redone, including bathroom doors. We apologize you were dissatisfied with your stay, and the issues experienced. I will have maintenance look into the draining issue you experienced. The beds are in fact brand new. We want to accommodate our guests as best as possible, and are working on creating a better atmosphere. Our new renovations will include, all new showers, vanities, amenities, bedding, carpet, light fixtures, and an indoor salt water pool; many more new features!

Again, thank you for leaving us feedback. It will help us improve in the future.

We hope you will revisit us once the hotel is completely renovated.

Trophy Club, Texas, USA
Reviewed 22 June 2014

It was a pleasure being welcomed by Jack when we arrived. He took care of us well. I made some minor suggestions to management upon checkout, but did not note any significant problems and therefore recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
AGM_PA156, Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Thank you for leaving us feedback on your recent stay. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay, and were able to speak with Jack. I will definitely pass on your kind compliments! We are striving to improve and with suggestions, like yours we are able to do so. We really appreciate you taking the time to provide us with the overall guest experience, and hope to see you on your next travels!