Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Harrisburg at Union Deposit Road
Ranked #19 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Reviewed 21 February 2011

Me, my girlfriend and her son stayed here last August while visiting Hershey Park for a few days. It was a great time and the room was real nice and seemed rather large (which was good). Like the fridge in the room. The breakfast was great also. Places to eat nearby and close to all the attractions. Going back to Hershey over the summer and plan to book here. Very reasonable rates!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank manttip

Reviewed 11 February 2011

Clean comfortable room, polite, efficient staff, good value. Every time I walked through it seemed someone was quietly cleaning and polishing something and it showed. Only problem for me was the scent from, I think, the recently cleaned carpet in the room - way too strong for those of us who are sensitive to same. Other than that, we enjoyed this hotel and would stay again. Breakfast was very good with a decent selection and dining staff friendly and professional.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank roadrunners777
Reviewed 31 December 2010

Think of a nice sized room with a fireplace and jacuzzi tub all clean in your room with a microwave , refrigerator, and a really comfortable bed. Well that has to cost at least $150 or more not here under $100 with a full breakfast free wireless and pool and even newspaper and and free cookies. I have to tell you this is really the best valued and well run and kept places I have ever stayed. Do yourself a favor and come here it is all GREAT and the way it should be done.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jeffotitan
Reviewed 30 November 2010

This hotel was beyond expectation. It's not a 5 star but it felt like one. The rate was really reasonable. This is a brand new hotel, the room was prob. even better than a 5 star hotel. The beds and pillows were really comfortable, and it was not too far from Hershey park. about 20 minutes --or less you hit traffice going into the park so leave early . I'm very picky about hotel but on a limited budget this was awesome--my whole family was happy. The breakfast and pool were great too. i don't have single bad thing to say about it. you can walk to Mc dee's --i love love this hotel

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 November 2010

I love the Country Inn & Suites Harrisburg, it is one of the best valued hotels that I have every stayed at, it has it all. Comfortable beds, clean rooms, an indoor pool and sauna, workout room, free breakfast in the morning for close to, or under $100. Wow, whether you are in Harrisburg for business or pleasure, the Country Inn & Suites off of Union Depot road is the place to stay. I was at a conference recently in Harrisburg and my colleagues stayed downtown at a much more expensive hotel and not nearly as nice. This hotel is just minutes from downtown and it is awesome.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank davejinpa
Reviewed 29 October 2010

Very welcoming hotel - fresh cookies in the lobby, great service, tasty breakfast. Nice workout room, comfy bed, close to interstate as well as many restaurants. All in all a great stay, would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 October 2010

I cut my first-time visit to the Finger Lakes area short and headed on toward home early due to another error of the very same kind. I'm finding that hotels are just not accommodating when it comes to disabled travelers. They all need to "get with it", as the baby boomer generation is traveling and more and more hotel guests will be disabled. I booked this room at the Harrisburg Country Inn & Suites to make sure I had a handicap accessible room waiting for me at the end of that exhausting day. I had spent too much time that morning trying to locate a hotel with the room I needed that would accomodate 3 adults. So the only reason we drove on to Harrisburg and to this particular hotel was because they assured me that I was reserving exactly what I needed .... a handicap accessible room with a roll-in shower that would sleep 3. But when we finally arrived late that evening, just like at the hotel we stayed at the night before, I was told they did not have any rooms available like the one I had reserved....and needed!!! I was furious....two hotels in a row. My much deserved and long awaited vacation had been ruined over hotel mistakes. There was no manager on duty for me to speak to. Just two young desk clerks. I insisted that one of them call the manager. She did so, then came back and continued looking over the list of rooms they DID have available, trying to figure out what to do with us. I thought I heard something said between the two girls about leaving a message. So I had to ask if she spoke to the manager on the phone or did she leave a message? She left a message. I asked when the call would be returned? Turned out it might not even be that day. Again, when was I going to be told that? The two girls decided I could book two rooms to accomodate the three of us, with me in a room with the needed roll-in shower. I asked if they expected me to pay more for those two rooms than the rate I had been quoted for that room I reserved.....that had been given to someone else. Yes, they thought I would do that. I knew I was going to have a hard time finding something else now and they had wasted even more of my time trying to figure out what to do. But this was their problem, not mine. I made the reservation; the hotel personnel made the error.....once again!!! And what I was getting from what I was hearing was that such a room as the one I had reserved didn't even exist.....a roll-in that would sleep 3 adults. Again, their mistake. I wouldn't even have been in Harrisburg except for our need for that room on our way back home. The pair decided to "take care of us" on their own, without the blessing of the manager. They finally assured me I would not be charged more and they would deal with the manager the next day. They would put us in two rooms. Now I wondered why one of them was now going to accompany us to those rooms. We had all our "stuff" loaded onto the luggage cart and we all headed to the rooms with the desk clerk leading the way. Most handicap accessible rooms are on the first floor and the room key indicated the first floor. But we were led onto the elevator and taken.....down. Now I know what the LL button is for on these elevators. "Lower Level", which one might think would be for parking. But this hotel actually had some rooms down there in the basement where the pool was located. Totally different atmosphere,.,.,.and clammy and dank. When I saw the first room, I just decided to leave. We hated to keep on driving that late, not even knowing where we'd end up. But I decided I'd rather sleep in my mini-van than in those basement rooms. I had reserved better than that....and this is how they had decided to fix the hotel's major mistake!!! So we loaded everything back into my van and we did drive on, ending up at a Hampton Inn in Frederick, MD that had just the room type we required....even that late in the evening and with a wedding going on. Oh, well, we were that much closer to home. Travelling is not going to be very pleasant, if even possible, for us aging baby boomers! After all the hotel issues (and there were more than just reservation errors) on this entire week-long trip, I will be booking private accomodations through sites such as VRBO.com every chance I have. Cleaner, more comfortable, better locations.....and in most cases you get a whole house for less than what these hotels are charging these days!!! And you don't have to worry about reservation errors. I've found that you cannot protect yourself. I always make myself clear and double and triple check that the desk clerk gets my room requirements and my reservation correct. What else can one do???

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank hobiesmom
mkrotulski, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Harrisburg at Union Deposit Road, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2010

I'm sad to hear of this situation and offer my sincere apologies. We take full responsibility for this experience and have learned a great deal through the process. We have re-trained all guest service agents in our hotels handicap accessible rooms/ammenities and truly hope that you won't hold this experience against us or Country Inn & Suites again in the future. I'd love a chance to redeem ourselves if every in Harrisburg!