“Bed Bugs”

Candlewood Suites Harrisburg
Ranked #18 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We checked in late at 10pm after driving almost 8 hours from Raleigh, NC. The staff was polite and check in was easy even with traveling with our dog. However, when we got to the room one of my daughters commented that one of the beds didn't look clean as there was hair on the sheets. My other daughter sat on the second bed to do homework on her laptop (she is a senior in college). After about 45 minutes she noticed a bug on her shirt. I took it off and then she noticed a second one under her shirt. After freaking out, we pulled the bed linens back and there were multiple bed bugs on the mattress and bed linens!! We called the front desk and informed them of the bed bugs. They offered to switch our rooms but my girls were too freaked out by the bed bugs to stay. We were refunded all our fees and offered 1000 points on our reward card (equivalent of $5.00!). I have to say the front desk clerk apologized profusely, and was shocked we had found bed bugs. We left around midnight and drove the rest of the 8 hours to Boston. It was an extremely long night!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Stacey B
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Harrisburg, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Dear Stacey B,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express Dundee, Scotland. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Reviewed 28 September 2013

Im coming over and over. I thought the whole experience, I have had in a long time.. The price was good too..The location was super closed to Hershey Park and Close to Several Malls and Grocery Stores..usually when i go to Hotels, I wanna leave and go to thr movies, but this hotel, I would live there for sure... Thank again.. The Linder Family

• Stayed: September 2013
candlewoodhburg, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Harrisburg, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

Wow! It's always great to hear from guests who love our hotel as much as we do! You guys are always welcome back and we look forward to having you stay with us again soon.
Thank You!

Reviewed 8 September 2013

This was my first experience with Candlewood Suites and it won't be the last. We were totally and pleasantly surprised by the rooms amenities. Stove top, microwave, full refrig, silverware, plate and bowl service and cookware. Great office station for computer work, plus there was a business center near the lobby. It has a large exercise room with great equipment. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We were missing towels and washcloths, but the night manager brought them personally within five minutes.
We enjoyed the room and the reasonable rate so much we stayed here on the way back from New England and had another great experience.
I read some of the negative reviews and had none of these problems.

Room Tip: We stayed on the ends of the hallways on different floors and had no difficulty with noise, etc.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review of our hotel! We especially appreciate all the great details about our property you pointed out, don't think i could have done it any better myself!

Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

We are a family of 5. The first thing that I do when I call to make reservations anywhere is ask if they have a sofa bed or rollaway bed. I booked this hotel because I was assured they could accommodate us. I called again while enroute to confirm that a rollaway bed would be waiting for us when we arrived for check in. Again, I was promised they could accommodate us. I have no hearing impairment and am cognitively intact. I was told twice a rollaway bed would not be a problem. Upon our arrival, no rollaway bed was waiting and the representative at the front desk informed me there were none in the entire hotel. She said there was an updated note in the computer stating I was told this-WTH!??? I asked to speak to a manager. The representative told me she would have one call me in the morning. No one ever called. I paid 3 nights so my son could sleep on 2 chairs pushed together. I later found out that there was supposed to be a free breakfast offered to us which never happened. This is bad business practice and they should really be ashamed. This is the most unprofessional experience I can recall. To boot, the toilet was dirty!
I Should have kept my reservations at the Hampton Inn. We have never gone wrong there. Misled and disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank 644mindyb
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Harrisburg, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2013

Dear minchy5555,

We would like to thank you for your review. We apologize that your experience with our hotel did not meet your expectations.

I have sent you a private message to obtain additional details about your experience.

Regards,

Brenda J.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

We have stayed at this hotel a few times while visiting Hershey, PA. The first time we had no problems at all. When we went last October 2012 they did not have our reservations, we had to get two different rooms. My husband and son were on the first floor and my daughter and I had a room on the 3rd floor. Was very disappointed in this. The second night they kept us in two different rooms but they moved my husband up to the adjoining room next to us. this was not so bad.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Harrisburg, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2013

Dear donna s,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us. It was unfortunate to see your stay was not as comfortable as it could have been. Please remain assured that we have recorded your comments and will forward it to the appropriate departments for future considerations. We hope that you take the time to stop in for a visit soon to see how we have taken every comment very seriously in order to make your future stays with us as pleasant as possible.

Thank you again for your review and have a wonderful day!

Karen C

Reviewed 26 August 2013

I needed a hotel on short notice. One that would take my 55 pound Springer spaniel and had a king bed. I called the hotel directly and they offered me an accessible King suite @ $161.89, $25 for dog and tax. I splurged, $205+ change = total. HOUSE KEEPING WAS HORRIBLE
The sheets were so rumpled I couldn't tell if they had been changed. The air-conditioning unit was in the living rm area and worked fine but the wall fan that was supposed to transfer the cold air to the bedroom did nothing. The dining table/desk had food stuck on it. NO ice in the broken refrigerator. No bowls and spoons in the cupboards for breakfast ( the hotel doesn't offer breakfast) and later found in the dishwasher, probably ran by former occupants. The TV clicker wouldn't work due to dead batteries. The pool had so many chemicals in it I was afraid my skin would peel off.
I will say, the very sweet and frazzled girl at the desk ( all alone) did her very best to correct everything. She brought ice and batteries and offered to re-sheet the bed. I don't what happen at the desk while she tried to help us. She was the best thing about the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Robert J
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Harrisburg, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

Dear Robert J,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property.

I am sorry to hear that your stay with us did not live up to your expectations. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the dissatisfaction you had with the room and its amenities.

Your feedback is not only essential but is also a helpful tool to measure the level of service we extend to our guests and at the same time provides us with an opportunity to improve our standards. We appreciate all guest feedback, and strive to provide excellent service to all of our guests. We hope that you give us a chance to change your perception of our hotel.

Reviewed 19 August 2013

This is a typical Candlewood hotel. Nothing fancy. Would have been a higher rating if the room was cleaner. Looked clean on first look but it wasn't. Very quick check-in. Mattresses leave a lot to be desired. Took me a few hours to straighten up in the morning. Would I stay here again? Yes, if it's for 1 night. Location couldn't be beat.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Harrisburg, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Dear ilovepuntacana,

Thank you for your review. All our guest comments are valuable and we consider them seriously in the consistent endeavor to improve the quality of our products and service.

I am truly sorry that our level of cleanliness fell below your expectations. I apologize for the shortfalls, nevertheless, I am glad that you were satisfied with most of the features provided.

Your feedback is not only essential but is also a helpful tool to measure the level of service we extend to our guests and at the same time provides us with an opportunity to improve our standards. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.