“Pleasantly surprised”

SpringHill Suites Harrisburg Hershey
Ranked #9 of 51 Hotels in Harrisburg
Reviewed 14 July 2012

We were headed from Virginia to Vermont and decided to cut the trip in half by leaving the night before. I picked the SpringHill Suites solely on location and membership. I expected a real budget hotel. Wow, were we surprised. The lobby had a bar and large breakfast room. The room was large, modern, clean, and really different. For instance, the toilet was separate from the shower and both had sinks. Very convenient for getting going in the morning. Breakfast was very good with several choices. The kitchen staff was excellent - nothing ran out and they were really pleasant. Even though there was a major soccer tournament in town, we did not hear a peep from anyone all night.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Kirsha D, Director of Sales at SpringHill Suites Harrisburg Hershey, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2012

Thank you for your wonderful comments. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed the property. Please visit us again when traveling through the area.

Reviewed 11 July 2012

Pool is very small, but I knew that from reading the reviews. The room was very nice, loved the way the room was set up. Dividing the bed from the couch, plus the shower seperate from the tiolet , made getting ready with kids a breeze. Bed was super comfy, I read reviews about highway noise, which I did hear, but honestly wasn't that loud, plus I heard the air more than the noise outside.Breakfast, I wish was set up different, crowded and no where to sit. Nothing bad to speak of, would stay again there in aheartbeat.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for your comments. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay. Please visit us again when traveling to the area.

Reviewed 7 July 2012 via mobile

Modern hotel and very clèan. Bar tender was great and grilled up light sandwich and burgers. Our two sons loved this place. Breakfast was good and there was plenty of seating at 7:15 on a Saturday.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 27 June 2012

Stayed there two years ago and loved it. I went again this past weekend and it was ok. The hotel was not as "new" as it was two years ago. The linens weren't crisp, there were no liners in the trash bins for your garbage and the wait for breakfast was ridiculous. There was always a minimum of 10 people on line and a wait of at least 10 minutes. When you finally get your breakfast, you have to search for one of the limited seats to eat. I'll stay there if I'm stuck but definitely not my first choice

1  Thank AccidentalTouristx3
Reviewed 26 June 2012

The hotel is advertised as an all suite hotel but other than a 'frosted glass' there is no real division between the sitting area and the beds. And the mattress in the sofa-bed is 'un-sleepable'. My 104 pound daughter tried to sleep on it so that we could each have our own sleeping area (which is what we indicated was our top priority when we booked the room) but it was all springs and no mattress. When I expressed my dissatisfaction, the manager on duty just continually explained to me that I should not expect a sofa bed to be comfortable - and would not listen when I told her that this was worse than most as my daughter had just spent the last two nights on the sofa bed at Marriotts Residence Inn and it was fine. She basically told me that I got what I paid for and if I really wanted another bed I should have booked another room. Next time I will do that - but at another hotel that does not charge $50-$60 dollars more for a room that they call a suite. (PS - we did book two rooms at a Holiday Inn Express on the front end of our trip in order to have our own beds. The employee who took our reservation at SpringHill knew we each wanted a bed and said this would work)
The breakfast was also poorly equiped - no yogurt left at 8:30 am and they had a hard time keeping the hot foods replenished.
If you stay - make sure it's only a top floor - you can hear every step of the person staying in the room above you.

Room Tip: top floor and don't expect to actually use the sofa bed unless it's for a toddler
1  Thank MarleneB6463
Reviewed 19 June 2012

Pick a high Floor and parking lot side. This hotel in on the highway so even on the back side you may still hear trucks. I would stay again. Def put your do not disturb sign on door or house keeping will bang on your door at 8am until you open. Even though it was double locked.

Room Tip: Pick a high Floor and parking lot side. This hotel in on the highway so even on the back side you m...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
DOS5564, Director of Sales at SpringHill Suites Harrisburg Hershey, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2012

Thank you for your comments. Yes, we are located near the highway which provides for easy on and off access along with being centrally located to all major attractions within our area - including Hersheypark. We appreciate the opportunity to have you stay with us. We are glad to see that you have friends and family within the Marriott system.

Reviewed 16 June 2012

Check in was convenient and pleasant after a very long drive from SC. This property was chosen specifically for its on-site restaurant and bar. We were towing a trailer and didn't feel like going out with it to eat. Upon arrival we found out that the restaurant was closed that evening -- apparently management didn't think they would have enough business. This is the second time a Marriott property that advertised a restaurant wound up not having one. Come on Marriott, have you ever heard of truth in advertising or do you believe that your name will simply let you coast? Apparently if you really intend to use their advertised restaurant, you must call ahead for a special reservation.

OK, with that issue aside, I must also agree with a previous reviewer who comments that signage was essentially non-existent. Come on folks, you're in business to make the life of the traveling public easier -- not more difficult. Spend some money on adequate signage.

The room was clean and pleasant. This is the first property I've seen with totally separate shower and toilet spaces -- each with a sliding glass door. I little odd, but very European I suppose.

Breakfast was good and we observed none of the problems reported by a previous reviewer. Staff was hustling and everything went as it should.

We stayed just the one night, but it was good and we'd go back.

Room Tip: The property is so removed from highways that I'd expect all the rooms to be equal.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
DOS5564, Director of Sales at SpringHill Suites Harrisburg Hershey, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2012

Thank you for staying with us at the SpringHill Suites by Marriott Harrisburg Hershey. I am sorry the Sky Lounge was not open. As listed, we are open Monday through Saturday from 5pm to 11pm. Our lounge serves light faire food.

As for the signage. We do have listings on I-81 and where permitted, off the exit.

We hope that when you are traveling through the area again, that you stay with us.