“Awesome”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Harrisburg
City House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 7 Harrisburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Spotless, beautifully modernized while still having the original charm.. and very secure. Amazing Weston mattresses - fireplaces- huge showers with multiple heads. I have stayed twice and if I go back to Harrisburg- this is the only place I would stay. Highly recommend...its within walking distance to the PA State Capitol..with a view of the river. You have to book in advance- they only have four rooms.. all have en suite baths.

Room Tip: Get the Bryce-- 3 shower heads!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Diane G

Reviewed 6 July 2013

We had a very nice experience from the time we arrived through the time we left. The parking lot has a secure gate that requires an access code to enter after hours. You also need an access code to gain entry into the building as well as entry into your room. I felt very safe here. The room has a very comfortable king size bed, a nice size flat screen TV, and a nice ceiling fan that helps with the air conditioning. There is a nice size bathroom with an excellent large double shower. There is a small kitchenette outside of the rooms that contain good homemade chocolate chip cookies, a Kreugeg coffee maker, and a small fridge. Breakfast was good and was served buffet style. The French toast was very tasty. There was also fruit, cereal, yogurt, orange juice, coffee and tea. The host was very cordial and friendly. We had a very good experience here and look forward to staying here in the future.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2013

We stayed here on a stopover on our way to Pittsburg, and I had a delightful time. It was safe, clean, friendly and convenient. Free, gated parking is included, and rates are very reasonable, compared to other local hotels. Bruce the innkeeper was prompt,knowledgeable, and efficient. The hotel is just across the street from a nice little river walk where you might take in a sunrise or sunset on the river, or just enjoy the local architecture. Good restaurants are in easy walking distance too, and the Capitol building is a very worthy attraction and the 1/2 hour tours are free, and so worthwhile. Breakfast at the inn on the weekend we were there was more like a continental breakfast with some delicious homemade oat cake, fruit,and other standard continental fair. Book early, as senators often book here while congress is in session.

Room Tip: My room faced another building, but an angled window still allowed a view of the river.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lilbigwlk
Reviewed 28 April 2013

We stayed only one night and wished we could've stayed longer. The room was comfortable, especially the bed! We stayed in the Bryce Room, and the view of the Susquehanna was beautiful. We appreciated Bruce's suggestions re: dinner. Service was great, and so was breakfast. We'll definitely stay here again whenever we come back to Harrisburg!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FrenchGirl152
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Charming welcome, well appointed room, comfortable bed, and oodles of charm. Much thought has gone into the details, make up removers, water in the fridge, the well supplied beverage station. If only all hotels were this good at this price.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Adam S
Reviewed 14 March 2013

We arrived and were greeted by Bruce who immediately welcomed and showed us the locking keypad at the front door. Walked into this lovely B& B, I immediately felt at ease that this was a good choice. After paperwork, Bruce explained details to help us settle in. Earlier in the week, when the reservation was made, he listened carefully to our tastes and made a perfect suggestion for dinner that evening. We had rented the largest room and were very happy with it. It was a quiet night's sleep even though on a main road. The lights shining on the river across the street was a peaceful view to relax and wake up to. The bathroom shower was huge and such a treat. The bed, linens and alike were quite comfortable. Morning breakfast was simple but filling and we met the nicest young lady with whom to converse at the table. We were even able to walk to dinner as there are several close by restaurants. I couldn't ask for anything more.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PaBarbara
Reviewed 8 January 2013

I often travel to Harrisburg for work and enjoy staying at City House when my visits are limited to 1-2 days. Because I travel quite a bit for work, I've developed a criteria list which City House caters to that includes:

1. A top floor room. All the guest rooms are on the top floor so you don't have anyone walking around above you in this beautifully well maintained old house.
2. Quiet and safe. Because there are only 4 guest rooms, there are never issues with a stampede out in the halls or running around at all hours. And although the wooden floors do creak a bit, I've never been bothered by hearing someone outside my room. There is an exterior gate that can be closed for completely secure parking, and while the neighborhood might seem initially kind of sketchy, I've never actually seen any weirdos around so I have always felt fairly safe.
3. Comfortable beds with soft pillows. Most hotels have pillows that are just too hard and firm, but City House has created a perfect blend of pillows on their super comfortable pillow-top king size beds. The sheets are also soft and smooth, so slipping into bed after a long day of meetings is always an amazing experience at City House.
4. Great showers with plenty of hot water and lots of water pressure. The showers never fail to deliver here!

I've stayed in both the William and Elizabeth rooms. While each has it's own unique feel, they are both outstanding options for business travel. My only major gripe is with the breakfast. Because I usually have a very early schedule, I have not gotten to sit with the other guests to enjoy the fresh breakfast, but have been very graciously provided a cold option that is always ready for me when I get up before the sun is up. Another minor gripe, but this is the reason that I only stay here during short trips, is that there is no access to the kitchen in the evenings which would be great for extended trips instead of having to dine out every night.

The B&B is located in a historic and scenic area of town, right across the river. The river provides an outstanding location to go for a brisk morning walk, but if you're concerned with the neighborhood (like I said, it does have some sketchy elements), the YMCA is located a block away and has something for everyone (pool, ball courts, weights, classes, etc).

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the river if you want a great view.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business