“Lovely, pleasant place”

Ranked #8 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Des Moines, Iowa
“Lovely, pleasant place”
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

This a new, stylish La Quinta. The decor is modern and pretty. My room was comfortable, clean and cozy. The woman at the front desk could not have been more gracious. It's a pet friendly location, with a treat provided for my pup from the front desk as we checked in. If this is the future of La Quinta, count me in!

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed 24 December 2013

I had a near perfect experience here! I chose LaQuinta because of their reasonable pet policy and no charge for 2 dogs. The hotel appeared brand new and I was told it was about 1.5 years old. My room was immaculate and had all the amenities including microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker etc. Wish I had thought to bring a swim suit because there was an indoor pool and hot tub. The staff was very friendly. I checked in about midnight with two dogs and felt very safe taking them for a walk at night--there was a nice well lit sidewalk around the perimeter of the hotel. The next morning I discovered a nice sidewalk in the back that went down the hill and found a nice grassy area. I agree with an earlier reviewer that it was disappointing many dog owners do not pick up after their pets. There was also an area on sidewalk outside one of the side hotel doors that was heavily littered with cigarette butts--possibly where the staff take their breaks? I was traveling through for the holidays and checked out at least a dozen hotels along the route. LaQuinta was the only chain that did not charge either a damage deposit or a $15 per dog charge for EACH pet. As for the bad review on the breakfast buffet, considering this was a free breakfast available to guests for several hours, there was a nice selection of items and I thought the coffee was great. I only had a muffin and it was tasty. Word to the budget conscious--check the web rate before you go and tell the staff--they honored that and my AAA discount. I got a great $65 rate since it was a quiet Sunday night in the "off season" (Hershey was closed). The manager told me that the summer rate when Hershey is open is more like $200. The La Quinta in Chambersburg was $20 more for the same night. Since the two hotels are only an hour apart, it might be worth checking both for the best rate depending on the time of year when you travel. As for the dog policy, I read the fine print and it was a very reasonable agreement. In particular, as long as your dogs are well behaved it is okay to leave them unattended in the room. Many hotels prohibit this which basically means you are room-bound unless you take your dogs with you everywhere you go. Thanks LaQuinta for accepting my dogs like they are no big deal. Most hotels make me feel like they really don't want my dogs or they take advantage with unreasonable charges.

Room Tip: I stayed right off the main lobby across from the pool. It was very convenient but might be noisy i...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Dayton, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 23 December 2013

I'm a La Quinta regular and I plan to stay with the chain whenever I can. Unfortunately, the Harrisburg location was the worst one so far.

I was quite happy with the accommodations. I know La Quinta is in the business of buying locations from other owners and bringing them up to speed; this one shows some signs of prior owner neglect--spotty carpeting in halls, odd door plaques where I guess room numbers used to be before the La Quinta brand room numbers went on the walls. The rooms were a little less spacious than others in the chain, but still comfortably furnished, clean as a whistle, and provided with free wireless internet--always a plus.

The desk staff were faultlessly friendly, efficient and helpful.

Where the place failed utterly was the breakfast. I am quite fond of the cook-your-own-on-the-flip-iron waffles, and I determined I would indulge in one despite my dietary restrictions. Well, the waffle was as expected, the butter was creamy, but the syrup tasted bitter and off-tone. Then I tried to get my protein with a hard-cooked egg, but the first bite was horrid--mealy, dry, and bitter-tasting. I choked it down, discarded the rest, and spent the remainder of the day wondering if I ought to have spat it out to avoid gastric distress-fortunately no such tummy trouble developed.

I did communicate those troubles with the front desk. Hope they can invest in better syrup and perhaps they ought to keep those eggs on ice? Well, the coffee was OK and I suppose the bagels and OJ were palatable--some things are hard to mess up.

I did note a good number of guests with dogs in the hotel, and thought it was nice of them to accommodate our pets.

Room Tip: Our room, 301, was on the side furthest from the highway and the access road; might be good for nois...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Texas
Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

We had a great experience at this dog friendly hotel. We traveled with our two dogs and it's always nice to know La Quintas accept them without a fee. The only sad part is the irresponsible pet owners that leave dog feces all over the outside so I would recommend the hotel put a trash and bags out there for these ridiculous people.

The hotel was very clean and modern. The pool was clean and warm. The breakfast was normal with cereal, bagels and waffles. It is only 10 minutes from Hershey's attractions.

• Stayed December 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Traveling with 2 dogs makes it hard to find a nice place to stay. Restaurant nearby, Clean, Indoor Pool, Jacuzzi, AM Breakfast free, what more could you ask for. Nice folks at the desk. Large lobby and the room was comfortable. Large flat screen TV

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Cromwell, Connecticut
Reviewed 18 December 2013

We've stayed in a number of La Quinta's around the country which usually have an above average architectural style and room decor. Apparently La Quinta has changed their strategy - this was a newly built location, but for me everywhere I looked, I saw very basic styling and materials, evident even to the cheap facial tissues. The colors were bleah! - orange everywhere. But what about the room comfort - that was ok. Very clean. Noise level ok - heard a few smaller trucks driving by locally - not interstate traffic. One reason for selecting this hotel was that they had a pool and most desirably a hot tub. The pool water was a little cooler than desired so we headed to the hot tub. What a joke. The water temperature was close to normal shower water temperature, and the jets were more like someone squirting water out of their mouth. So after a short time there we disappointingly heading for the room. The breakfast was average at best - no hot eggs, only cold and boiled. But they had our favorite brand of yogurt Yoplait. On the positive side, next door is a family restaurant where we had a fabulous meal - salisbury steak with gravy and onions, mashed potatoes and gravy, tossed salad, coconut custard pie!

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harrisburg
Best Western Premier The Central Hotel & Conference Center
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Harrisburg Northeast (Hershey)
La Quinta Inn & Suites Harrisburg Airport Hershey
Fairfield Inn & Suites Hershey Chocolate Avenue
Hampton Inn & Suites Hershey
Red Lion Hotel Harrisburg Hershey

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Harrisburg Hershey? Share your experiences!