“Affordable Close to Hershey”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Harrisburg Hershey
Ranked #8 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Baltimore, Maryland
“Affordable Close to Hershey”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Be mindful there are two La Quintas in Harrisburg so put the address in the GPS...I made the mistake Of typing La Qunita Harrisburg Pennsylvania into my GPS which took us to the other older hotel. I obviously made the mistake so Im not blaming the hotel just a friendly suggestion. I was told people mix the two all the time.
The front desk evening lady was very nice and helpful 100% professional! The lobby was nice esp. For such a cheaper line of hotels. I noticed people cleaning constantly during the day and it seems it would take constant upkeep to ma rain all the glass and metal.
The breakfast area which stocked hot chocolate, tea, and coffee almost 24/7 which was a nice touch since we went to Hershey Christmas Candylane. It was nice to save on expensive park hot chocolate knowing we could get it a oh hotel. This is one of those things that doesn't cost the hotel much and makes you want to come back.
The breakfast was standard. I would say Holiday Inn express has a much better breakfast but there rooms were twice the cost so that's not exactly a "free" breakfast. I would say adding scrambled eggs would be inexpensive and would really raise the bar as much of what is offered are carbs and no protein. The waffles were very good.
The rooms were modern and super clean. My only concern was that there were no comforters or heavier blankets which in winter was disappointing.
The laundry room although advertised as a feature was not available...which was disappointing as I spilled milk on my jacket and had to just buy a new jacket or smell all weekend. This is something they need to expedite as they have many people traveling with children... laundry facilities are something I look for.
The pool was warm and clean...not too much chlorine like at other hotels in the area. However the jacuzzi was broken many people tried turning it on and other then the filter nothing was coming on. I understand these break however we were there almost a month ago and I see this is still in issue in more recent reviews. If you need a full functioning jacuzzi after a long car ride this place is not for you.
This place is like 10 minutes literally down the street from Hershey! That was awesome!
Overall the high point were location and font desk staff...style of room...the low points...crappy jacuzzi, no warm comforters, no laundry room.... I would go back if the price was right...the potential for a favorite hotel is there just need to be more detail orientated :-D

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Hopep1974

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Barrington, Rhode Island
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Perfect place to stop mid-trip - I have stayed here three different times. Nice new hotel with cheerful lobby and welcoming rooms. Great value and convenience. A family-style restaurant is conveniently located right next door. The staff has always been helpful and attentive.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 January 2014

4 of stayed here for $80 bucks a night. It's a spotless and very nice place. Another guest was actually taking pictures of the decor in the lobby and breakfast area, and nobody was laughing at her. The staff was great. In our area, that's easily a $200 dollar a night room.

It's also right off the highway exit, and shares parking lot with two restaurants. Indoor pool, etc., etc.

I don't do reviews, but this joint deserves one. We're at least annual visitors to family there, and that's our hotel from now on.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Albany, New York
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Passing through the Harrisburg area my wife and I were advised by a family member that this La Quinta was nice and a good value, and the TripAdvisor reviews supported that. We weren't disappointed, but I do have some helpful observations. We stayed overnight January 1-2, so it was the night after the "big" night, which might have affected the overall condition of the hotel as we found it.
The hotel is nicely appointed. Fixtures and linens are of good quality, and the king bed was comfortable and nicely presented. We had traveled for many hours so we opted to soak in the hot tub shortly after check-in (we brought along suits, shirts and flip-flops). The pool and hot tub are indoors on the ground floor, and right off the elevator, so no parading through the lobby to get there. We had the place to ourselves. The facility is beginning to show signs of age and use, but was adequate for our needs.
The room suffered a bit from the same condition as the public areas of the hotel. Everything was generally clean, but many surfaces were only cursorily wiped and still displayed beverage rings, fingerprints, and sticky spots, especially the glass-topped desk and chrome chair arms. A bit of wiping by ourselves fixed the situation. Outside the room, the hallways needed more meticulous vacuuming, as did the floor of the elevator, especially the edges. There are lots of reflective surfaces around the hotel, and all need a bit of Windex. Around the breakfast area the trashcans needed emptying and the lids needed a good wipe down. The public bathroom off the exercise/pool area needed a good cleaning. The floor was dirty and all stainless steel or chrome surfaces were very dirty, notably the chrome faucet and handle and the towel dispenser. It's a "devil in the details" situation.
The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Clearly this place does most things correctly. It falls a bit short on the finer details or follow-up, nevertheless, we would recommend this place to family and friends. One other proviso: La Quinta hotels are "pet friendly." If you have a pet...great. If you don't, well that can be an issue. We were on the second floor and most travelers with pets are put on the first floor. It was not a problem for us at all.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

This a new, stylish La Quinta. The decor is modern and pretty. My room was comfortable, clean and cozy. The woman at the front desk could not have been more gracious. It's a pet friendly location, with a treat provided for my pup from the front desk as we checked in. If this is the future of La Quinta, count me in!

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed 24 December 2013

I had a near perfect experience here! I chose LaQuinta because of their reasonable pet policy and no charge for 2 dogs. The hotel appeared brand new and I was told it was about 1.5 years old. My room was immaculate and had all the amenities including microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker etc. Wish I had thought to bring a swim suit because there was an indoor pool and hot tub. The staff was very friendly. I checked in about midnight with two dogs and felt very safe taking them for a walk at night--there was a nice well lit sidewalk around the perimeter of the hotel. The next morning I discovered a nice sidewalk in the back that went down the hill and found a nice grassy area. I agree with an earlier reviewer that it was disappointing many dog owners do not pick up after their pets. There was also an area on sidewalk outside one of the side hotel doors that was heavily littered with cigarette butts--possibly where the staff take their breaks? I was traveling through for the holidays and checked out at least a dozen hotels along the route. LaQuinta was the only chain that did not charge either a damage deposit or a $15 per dog charge for EACH pet. As for the bad review on the breakfast buffet, considering this was a free breakfast available to guests for several hours, there was a nice selection of items and I thought the coffee was great. I only had a muffin and it was tasty. Word to the budget conscious--check the web rate before you go and tell the staff--they honored that and my AAA discount. I got a great $65 rate since it was a quiet Sunday night in the "off season" (Hershey was closed). The manager told me that the summer rate when Hershey is open is more like $200. The La Quinta in Chambersburg was $20 more for the same night. Since the two hotels are only an hour apart, it might be worth checking both for the best rate depending on the time of year when you travel. As for the dog policy, I read the fine print and it was a very reasonable agreement. In particular, as long as your dogs are well behaved it is okay to leave them unattended in the room. Many hotels prohibit this which basically means you are room-bound unless you take your dogs with you everywhere you go. Thanks LaQuinta for accepting my dogs like they are no big deal. Most hotels make me feel like they really don't want my dogs or they take advantage with unreasonable charges.

Room Tip: I stayed right off the main lobby across from the pool. It was very convenient but might be noisy i...