“Excellent food and service!”
Review of Golden Sheaf - CLOSED

Golden Sheaf
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Seafood, Wine Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Market Street
Transit: Located two blocks from the Harrisburg Transportation Center that houses both rail and bus lines.
Rochester, New York
“Excellent food and service!”
Reviewed 1 February 2014

The scallops and black cod were excellent! We shared the Iceberg Napoleon salad. All our foods were seasoned perfectly and beautifully presented.

Visited January 2014
2 Thank AandT1
Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at Golden Sheaf, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
A&T,
Thank you for your feedback and for your continued patronage of The Golden Sheaf. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your scallops and cod. We take pride in providing wonderful, well prepared specials and love to hear that our dishes are well received. We look forward to seeing you soon.

York, Pennsylvania
“Keeps it classy”
Reviewed 4 December 2013

This is where you go in Harrisburg to splurge on a scrumptious, hearty meal and a bottle of champagne. The staff is definitely a dying breed of knowledgable, polite servers who will treat you like royalty. Yes it's going to be expensive. Husband & I would usually do the Sheaf once every few months. We've also been there for two New Year's Eves. Both of those occasions were the only times I've seen every table at the Sheaf filled. I've noticed this establishment draws an older, perhaps more sophisticated crowd. Rightfully so, but for younger couples who want an authentically 'fancy-schmancy' experience, it's the Sheaf all the way. I'm hoping to come back soon for my favorite crab Mac and cheese- and hopefully have Joseph bring me a fresh bottle of Clicquot, too!

• Visited January 2013
Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at Golden Sheaf, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Lara,
Thank you for your loyalty! I am so glad to hear that you and your husband enjoyed your most recent experiences and all prior experiences. To hear that our food and service provide the perfect background for your special nights means that we are doing our jobs right. We look forward to continuing to welcome you back.
Portfolio Reputation Manager - Golden Sheaf
Sandhurst, United Kingdom
“An OK place to eat”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

The Golden Sheaf restaurant in the Hilton Harrisburg is the best place to eat in the local area if you don't wish to go to far. The menu is limited but sufficient to appeal to most people. The wine list is very extensive, but you need to ask for the Full List before you order your wine, otherwise you are only presented with a limited choice on the menus your are presented with. The quality of food was good, not great, with surprisingly big portions for a restaurant of this type. However, my wife and I had Creme Brûlée, it was huge and to top it off it was accompanied by the largest chocolate biscotti I have ever seen, unfortunately this size of dessert was off-putting and neither of us enjoyed the experience. In essence, the service was very good, but the food was OK.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Philip E
Pilip,
Thank you for your comments about your recent experience. We work every day to give our guests the best service and food and we rely on your feedback to continue improving. I am pleased that the service you experience, but regret that the food was not to our high standard. I would appreciate a chance to follow up with you about some of the specific dishes that you selected so our culinary team can discuss ways to improve them. I look forward to speaking with you soon and hope to have a chance to welcome you back.
Portfolio Reputation Manager - Golden Sheaf
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“Tried it again, but still disappointed”
Reviewed 25 August 2013

My sister and I ate here about a year ago and were terribly disappointed. We tried it again with the same result. I ordered a Caesar salad because it was very good before. They definitely changed the dressing. It tasted more like Ranch and had no hint of anchovies. The wine that was suggested was excellent. Service and ambiance were average. I'm not certain I'd try again.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Phyllis K
Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at Golden Sheaf, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Phyllis,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. We truly appreciate your dining with us again. Let me assure you that we take great pride in our culinary performance and anything short of fantastic is not acceptable. I am sorry that your experience did not reflect this. Please know that we have a number of exciting changes upcoming that will address the ambiance and feeling of the restaurant. I welcome an opportunity to speak with you further about your experience and share with you some of the changes we are planning.
Mifflinburg, Pennsylvania
“good restaurant in the Harrisburg Hilton Hotel”
Reviewed 16 August 2013

This restaurant located off the main lobby in the downtown Harrisburg Hilton Hotel, and it does a great job in providing attentive service. The hotel is an older, conservative hotel, but clean and maintained well for its age.
The food in the restaurant is very carefully prepared. As with restaurants located in many hotels, the dinner prices might be above-average, but the excellent service made the price here seem quite reasonable. I had rack of lamb, and was a little disappointed in that the rack consisted of only two rib chops. (...testimony, perhaps, to the fact that the price of lamb has risen over the years). Prior to the entrée, the waiter brought a small, complimentary cold plate (a bouche fraische?) to whet the appetite -- a single shrimp wrapped in a thin slice of cucumber -- and a small basket of assorted breads. The rack of lamb ($34) was done to perfection, served over a tomato-based sauce with chickpeas, and was accompanied by a serving of sliced summer squash, lightly sautéed. The wine list was modest and a bit pricey, but good.
The ambience was conservative: modest lighting, soft vocalist's recordings, a quiet, perhaps traditional European décor. I didn't expect the place to be crowded; it wasn't. (One or two young couples, a few businessmen). But, again, I found the service to be well above average, and sometimes that factor alone is enough to make a selected restaurant worthwhile.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank FineDiner658
Fine Diner 658,
Thank you for your comments about your recent experience. We work every day to give our guests the best service and food and it is always nice to hear we are hitting our mark. Please feel free to contact me for assistance with any upcoming reservations. We look forward to seeing you again soon.