“Not kid friendly”

Ranked #33 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Ferrisburgh, Vermont
“Not kid friendly”
Reviewed 20 August 2006

Traveling as a family with our 20 month old son, we stay in suites as often as possible for the extra amenties (mini-fridge, microwave, etc.) and the extra room to put him to sleep in.

Arriving at the apparently new Scottish Inn near Hershey Park, we were dismayed to find that our 'suite' was not a suite at all, merely a slightly larger room with a larger bathroom, for people with disabilities; an important, necessary facility to have, but not really what we were hoping for. There was, of course, no fridge or microwave, and none available.

Of the two air-conditioning units in our room, one was unplugged (not working we were told) and the other turned itself off and on all night--completely off, not just the cooling, but the fan as well, meaning we pretty much woke up everytime it kicked back on during the night (we purchased a table fan from Target the next day to distract us from the AC).

Getting ready next morning, or son quickly discovered that the door to our room didn't stay locked from the inside--if you pulled down on it's handle, it unlocked, and since there was no latch or chain on the door, it quickly became a game of "can I get the door open and run out into the hallway before Mom and Dad get dressed?"--he loved it!
Arriving at the complimentary breakfast, we asked the front desk for a high chair, to which we were told "that's the one thing we don't have". We could only laugh. Breakfast again, became a great ' run around the lobby, head for the automatic front doors' game.

Finally, as an apparent amenity, they leave coffee on the burner in the lobby all day and into the evening. If they had an air pot, complimentary coffee would be a great idea, but the smell of very old and very burnt coffee that inundated the lobby I found fairly revolting.

On the plus side, the rooms are new and clean, you are allowed to use the swimming pool in the motel next-door, and the staff attempted to be helpful, but I cannot recommend the Scottish Inn if you are travelling with young children, which, being just a few miles from Hershey Park, seems incredibly short-sighted of them.

2 Thank VermontDad

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 11 July 2006

This is one place where you get what you pay for. It was nice for a fairly cheap motel ($89 4th of July weekend). The service was very friendly and the room was just clean enough. It is a fairly new motel, I think they opened in Sept 05. If you are just passing through and need a place to stay for a night I would reccomend it but not for a lengthy stay. Complimentary breakfast included cereal, danishes and bagles.

• Stayed July 2006
1 Thank CarolynKP
Reviewed 30 June 2006

Just returned from a two night stay in Harrisburg PA.

This hotel was actually across the street from a hotel I was booked at. I was so disappointed in that hotel, that I took a look at the Scottish Inns to see if it was any better and it was it was surprisingly wonderful. I was a little skeptical at first because I didn't see any cars in the parking lot, and it didn't seem like any lights were on in the lobby. But as soon as I walked through the front door, I could tell I was going to be happier here......it smelled fresh, clean, and wasn't as damp/humid as the other place. The desk clerk was very accomodating and gave me a quick tour of a double room and a suite. They were very impressive (the suite had two double beds and a huge living area separated by a half wall). And the rooms actually cost less than the other place. I Immediately checked out of the hotel I was staying in and booked my two nights stay here. They don't have a pool on site but have a deal with the adjacent hotel, The Country Hearth, that allows you to use their indoor pool (a very short walk through the parking lot). We booked two double rooms and a suite and they all were immaculate. This hotel is only 10 months old and is sooo much nicer than the place I almost had to stay at. They have a free continental breakfast too. Switching to this hotel made our trip to Hershey soooo much more enjoyable!

• Stayed June 2006
4 Thank candeeland
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harrisburg
Econo Lodge Harrisburg
Ramada Harrisburg/Hershey Area
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#35 of 50 in Harrisburg

Been to Super 8 Harrisburg Hershey North? Share your experiences!