“Good but had hoped for better”

Ranked #6 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Hartsdale, New York
“Good but had hoped for better”
Reviewed 1 September 2014

Stayed here this past weekend on a quick Hershey getaway with my family. Other than a Hampton Inn here and there, I haven't frequented Hilton brand hotels as of late. We decided to try this chain after reading the reviews. The pros of the hotel are that the location is very close to Hershey, but you save a fair amount by not staying in town. The hotel lobby is very elegant and clean, and the staff are very nice. The rooms are fairly clean and nicely laid out. There is some wear and tear here and there, but nothing major. We were on the 4th floor, facing the front of the hotel, but we never noticed any noise from outside. The beds were horrible. I have never been a fan of memory foam, and this was no exception. The beds were so hard that getting a good night sleep was nearly impossible.

One thing I liked when I looked at the hotel on line was that they had two pools - one indoor and then one outdoor. Unfortunately, we never got to use the outdoor pool. We ended up using the indoor pool because the outdoor pool seems to be a gathering place for people to smoke. We took our 2 year old daughter out to the pool on our last morning and around 6 people were gathered at the tables by the outdoor pool smoking. Very disappointing. This seemed to be a theme throughout. We smelled smoke in our room at one point, and smelled smoke in the hall on more than one occasion. Not sure why since the hotel is 100% non-smoking.

We purchased the bed and breakfast package, which really was an eye opener. If you decide to use this - get the buffet. We ordered from the menu and the scrambled eggs we ordered were horrible. It was as if someone was making an omelet and in the middle decided, 'let me make scrambled eggs instead.' They were dark brown, in thin flat sheets - unlike any eggs I have ever seen. We ordered two waffles and they were so over cooked that it was really hard to cut them. I am not sure I have ever had a waffle so tough. The selection at the buffet looked much better and later we wished we had just gotten that instead.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Very nice stay! We stayed two nights, July 18-20, to visit the HersheyPark and Chocolate World and loved the convenient location. Check-in was quick and smooth with very friendly and helpful staff. Stayed with another family who booked two rooms and we all liked our rooms and beds. Loved the lobby - open and clean and connected to restaurant with lollypops for kids and lemon/lime water for us. No issues with noise. Didn't spend much time in hotel was up early for activities and back late to sleep. I would stay here again!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Jon G, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Harrisburg East, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear misled m
Thank you for writing such a kind review of our hotel. I’m glad that you enjoyed our friendly staff and convenient location. We hope that you will stay with us on your next visit to the Harrisburg/Hershey area. I look forward to having you as our guest once again.

Jon Gays
Sales Manager
717-635-7299
jon.gays@hilton.com
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed for a weekend to attend an event in Harrisburg. It's a great location for its proximity to the city and Hershey but not a picturesque one as the hotel is located within a business park. For us it didn't matter. It's just a few minutes walk to restaurants but also has its own dining. The entrance and lobby is large, light and airy. They have a bar area that served later than expected because there were so many guests the bartender kept it open. My husband had the shrimp cocktail appetizer made with avocado that was an unusual but excellent take on that dish. I had a great tasting fresh salad at the bar. For breakfast my husband had the made to order breakfast and I had the buffet. The buffet was ok. Have definitely had better more varied choices at other hotels for same price or less but it was still a plus to have a breakfast on site. The room was a little larger than an HGI I stayed in in Virginia Beach. They had infused water in the lobby and some type of oatmeal bars too.
Staff was very congenial especially the young woman who cleaned our room. The front desk gave us some good recommendations for dinner when we were looking for a view. We ate at a seafood restaurant just past the city island and were able to watch fireworks from our table overlooking the Susquehanna River. Can highly recommend the Hilton Garden Inn. The only unusual part was a staff member who complained to us about a lack of support from management and being overworked. Thought that was something that was better not shared with guests.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Rita H
Hello and thank you for taking the time to share your great experience at our hotel. I’m glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our staff very congenial. If you would like to discuss your stay further please contact me either via my e-mail address below or please feel free to call me. I look forward to speaking with you and also hosting your next overnight stay in the Harrisburg/Hershey area. Thank you once again.

Jon Gays
Sales Manager
717-635-7299
jon.gays@hilton.com
Traverse City, United States
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Jon accommodated our last minute request to use the boardroom at the HGI in Harrisburg, PA for 2 hours in the early morning hours the next day. He set it up for the meeting, no coffee or food was needed and allowed us to use the room at no charge. Much appreciated!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Reviewed 28 July 2014

I have stayed at many Hilton Gardens and this was the nicest I've had the pleasure to visit! Stayed here for one night in June with my two kids, plus a friend and her two kids, after visiting Hersheypark. The Hilton Garden Harrisburg East is an easy drive from Hershey attractions and located just outside Harrisburg downtown, so it is also an easy drive to the State Capitol, farm show, airport, etc. The surrounding properties are shopping centers and office parks but the property itself and the stylish interior more than make up for the safe but blah surrounding neighborhood. The hotel is beautifully decorated and well maintained, with nice landscaping, a front patio and a back outdoor pool and terrace. We loved the lobby with its fireplace, tables with refreshments (the ice water with floating cucumber and melon slices was so delightful on a hot day), and adjacent bar/restaurant area. Our rooms were bright and clean with very comfortable beds and nice bathrooms. No issues with noise overnight even though there were a number of families visiting. We didn't eat dinner in the restaurant although the menu looked good. We were craving pizza so we grabbed dinner at a little pizzeria across the street recommended by the HG front desk staff - very simple place with excellent pizza but go elsewhere if you want table service or a liquor license. Aside from some rowdy pre-teens in the pool late in the evening, our families enjoyed both pools and the moms had a quick drink at the bar (which had a good selection of beer on tap and other beverages) while our kids played a game by the lobby fireplace. The breakfast has several options from buffet to custom-made items. Even the basic level of breakfast had a good selection of hot and cold items, and the breakfast area was sunny, spacious, and not crowded. The staff was unfailingly kind, friendly, and helpful, but I want to single out Kim, one of the breakfast servers, who really went above and beyond for us. We all really enjoyed our stay and wish we could have stayed there longer - we will definitely be back!

Room Tip: I don't think one side of the hotel was any quieter than the other, but you can face east or wes...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Troy, Michigan
Reviewed 26 July 2014

In town to visit family. The staff at this hotel has to be the best in the industry!! I can't stress how great these people were!!!! We were treated like celebrities!!!!! The Hilton grand Garden inn is GRAND to say the least!!! Thank you for your awesome hospitality!!!!! Truly the best customer service I have ever seen!!!!

Room Tip: I believe all rooms are great rooms!!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Seattle, United States
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I stayed here for a short 2-night business trip; the service was excellent and the accommodations were wonderful. The bed was EXTREMELY comfortable, the breakfast omelette was delicious and the staff very warm and helpful. I would definitly stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business