“Failed to meet expectations”
Review of Asalah Moroccan Restaurant - CLOSED

Asalah Moroccan Restaurant
Description: Morocco is such a small country, yet known for its unique sophisticated cuisine. Asalah is an authentic Moroccan restaurant, boasting dishes such as Tagines and Couscous made from scratch. Our ingredients are fresh and our meals are tasty. Bring your family and friends and come enjoy our tasty dishes and be pampered by our unparalleled level of hospitality.
New Hampshire
“Failed to meet expectations”
Reviewed 30 August 2014

Don't get me wrong, service was attentive, warm and friendly. The food was served fresh and hot, but it lacked significant flavor or spice. The exceptions were the sautéed eggplant, part of the Trio Salad, and the Green (mint) tea. I love saffron and use it often in a number of dishes - so I was excited to try the Lahm M'hammer, described as "Roasted lamb in saffron and onion garlic sauce served with saffron rice." The lamb was somewhat tender, but if I were blindfolded it would have been hard for me to distinguish any aroma or flavor of saffron, onion or garlic. The saffron rice tasted like a boxed Spanish yellow rice - it was certainly yellow, but lacked the taste of saffron. My dinner-mate ordered Traditional Harira Soup and T'Faya Tagine, but was actually served the Atlas Tagine, instead. Again, the food was warm and plentiful - but lacked significant flavor.

New York City, New York
“Wonderful Chicken”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

While in Harrisburg on the 19th and 20th, someone at the inn we stayed at recommended Asalah (I had mentioned I was looking for good Moroccan food). So we had lunch there.

The place looks like a typical American lunch room, but meal was delicious. I had Chicken with Preserved Lemons and everything was obviously made to order. The chicken skin was nicely crunchy and the inside was so tender. And it was all in a lovely preserved lemon broth. I actually went back to thank the chef (it was the wife of the owner) and I don't think I've ever done that before. if you want good food, which is not hurriedly prepared, try it for lunch. Don't pay attention to the decor.

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great experience”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Even though it was 8:30 and the restaurant closed at 9 the owner was still happy to serve us. My husband ordered the chicken and apricots, which he devoured, and I had the veggie tagine. The service was good and the owner was very friendly to us. He even gave us some complimentary mint tea to top off the meal! We will definitely go back again.

Carlisle, Pennsylvania
“Good food”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

The food was good and the owners were very nice. It is nice to have a Moroccan restaurant in the area.

• Visited July 2014
Camp Hill
“Turn off the t.v.!”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

I was excited to see a new Moroccan restaurant in town. It was ok with me that they did not have money for table clothes, curtains, or napkins until I noticed(I could I miss it) the huge loud flat screen t.v. on the wall. Really now-a little Middle Eastern music would have been better than ESPN in Arabic. The service was very weak. The food-please do not tell me that my dish was made in a tagine when it was very dry. The bread was the most tasteless white bread know to Harrisburg. Nick's 1014 used to grace that corner. Now it one bad restaurant after another.

• Visited April 2014