“good subs, no swearing please”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Jackson House

Jackson House
Ranked #16 of 535 Restaurants in Harrisburg
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, Seating, Takeout
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“good subs, no swearing please”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

Friends told us about Jackson House was the go to place for good subs for the road (or anywhere for that matter) and they were right. They were really busy, ran out of burgers, their seeded?? sub roll, ours was on a regular italian roll as a result. It was good but we could have done without all the swearing. Not having enough bacon cooked really inflamed the grill man and he had no problem using many foul expletives to let everyone know. Our food was already ordered and paid for. Had that not been the case, we would not have ordered just because our food doesn't need the extra "spice".

Not sure if we'll return.

• Visited August 2013

Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
“Best Burgers in Harrisburg”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

Whenever I am working downtown, I make a stop at Jackson House for lunch. The best time to go is 1:00 or later because lines are out the door if you go at noon. Expect to wait a good 10 minutes for your burger - just because it's all made to order. And bring cash because they don't take credit cards. Despite having fantastic burgers, the fries are just so-so. Jackson House is only open on weekdays but it's definitely worth the trip.

• Visited May 2013
Middletown
“GREAT BURGER”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

Finally got to try their burgers, some of the best I ever had. Heard soooooo much bout this place. Would like to get back their and try a hoagie. Proves you don't have to go to Philly to get a good sandwich. GET there early. If you were never there, and want to try it, go, cause there is talk of demolishion in the area. If so, hope they move to a better part of town, with better parking. Cause wherever they move, the troops will follow.

• Visited May 2013
New York, NY
“Fantastic sandwiches, and a wide variety of items.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013

I grew up in Philly and made a point of trying all the famous cheese steak joints. I think Jackson House has them all beat. The bread is trucked in fresh daily from South Philly, and the meat and toppings are just incredibly tasty and succulent. I usually go for the cheese steak hoagie, and I never ever regret it. Another favorite of mine is the Manhattan burger, with Swiss, slaw, and Russian dressing. I've had bites of friends' hoagies there too, and they are consistently excellent. I have not yet tried the roast pork sandwich (another Philly classic) but I feel I have to one of these days. I just know it's going to be good.

Make sure to try the birch beer while you're there. It's delicious, and I usually avoid sugary sodas, it's really a big treat.

I love the cheese fries here. I usually share an order.

The line can be long and seating can be difficult to find at peak times. Hours are limited, so plan ahead. But it is so worth it.

Visited May 2013
Bucks County, Pennsylvania
“Best Burgers in Burg, Italian Hoagie is a winner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2013

this place is an experience. The burgers are top notch and made to order
I usually go for a hoagie or burger here
these two choices will satisfy anyone
ONLY OPEN FOR LUNCH
phone ordering can be an issue
always a line
go there and enjoy the food
GO EARLY OR LATE
BETWEEN1145 TO 100 always a line
closes at 3 I think
always a good choice if you have the time

• Visited November 2012