“Amore Alvaros”

Dining options: Reservations
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“Amore Alvaros”
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I have been visiting the Alvaro family since they opened. I don't order eggplant in restaurants because it is usually fried, greasy or covered with tomato sauce. One day I asked Salvatore for the eggplant rollatini recipe and he said...first I start with homemade breadcrumbs. So I tried it and the eggplant dishes are exceptional. I love their variety of pastas and sauces, you can't go wrong with the sausage and peppers or the Italian panini sandwich. The pizza is made with , quality ingredients and is so fresh. The chicken parmesan is very good and I can go on and on...... I love the authentic Italian cookies and the gelato.

They serve dinners on Friday and Saturday and reservations are a must. This is a BYOB, which during my recent visit truly added to the noisy atmosphere. So hey, no one wants to hear your dinner conversation - believe me - keep it down so others can enjoy their dinner too. This would not keep me away because this restaurant reminds me of home.
We are so fortunate to have the Alvaros in Harrisburg. Buon Appetito

• Visited February 2014

Pennsylvania
“Unimposing, but worth a visit”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

This small eatery in midtown Harrisburg doesn't look like much from the outside, but the food is excellent. The breads are wonderful and the various Italian offerings are, too. Eat-in or take out, this place is worth a visit.

• Visited December 2013
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“Homemade Italian - delicious food, low price”
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Alvaro's is only open for dinner on Friday and Saturday nights. Reservations are a must, since seating is very limited. It is BYOB.

Alvaro's is basically a scratch Italian bakery, specializing in breads and cookies, and serving a limited menu of homemade Italian pasta. Tables are tightly spaced in the customer service area of the bakery.We had entrees of stuffed shells, 3 cheese lasagna, and cheese ravioli. All three were delicious, could not have been better. Sides included meatballs and eggplant parm, which also were very good. No vegetables are offered. The Italian bread provided on arrival was as good as any I've had. unfortunately, they ran out before we left, so we were not able to buy a loaf for take-home.

Nothing fancy atmosphere wise, just super Italian meals at very reasonable prices, Our dinner for 4, including desserts (homemade gelato), was $52.00.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Bill F
“We love this place”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We have been here a number of times and for many reasons. It could be to pick up cookies have some gelato or lunch. We have always found the food to be very good and reasonable priced. Cookies of Christmas is a must, it reminds me of a family friend from the Bronx that would make Christmas treats each year.

• Visited November 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
“Comparable to my husband's Italian Grandmother!”
Reviewed 7 November 2013

My husband and I stumbled across this place while driving around. I saw that there were some tables outside, and it looked very picturesque. So we decided to give it a try. Boy, am I glad we did! We sat outside and a menu was brought out to us. We had Italian bread and olive oil to munch on as we decided what we wanted. Everything is made in house and you can tell. Nothing tastes like it was frozen and reheated before serving. It's all fresh! Our waitress was very nice, and I believe she's the daughter of the owner/cook. Actually, the kids are the waiters, and their mother cooks in the back. It feels like you're in someone's family kitchen. We had the lasagna and ravioli and it was AMAZING. The red sauce is so good. I've been to Italy numerous times and had way too much pasta for one person. And the sauce is just like I had in Italy. It's different from American Italian tomato sauces, it is almost exactly how my husband's Italian Grandmother makes it. Amazing. We went recently with some friends, and they absolutely loved their food. We sat inside this time, and it was nice and cozy. We had the angel hair pasta tossed with seasonings and olive oil, SO GOOD. My husband ordered the gnocchi and it had their amazing red sauce with meat in it. All in all, we always have a great experience and the food is some of the BEST Italian food I have had in the US. Check it out, you won't be disappointed! Oh and did I mention they also sell GELATO?! And it's also really good.

• Visited November 2013