“Not so bad afterall”

Ranked #42 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Toronto
“Not so bad afterall”
Reviewed 25 June 2008

After reading all the bad reviews of this place, I was really scared as to what we were in for. Turns out that the hotel is not nearly that bad. My thinking is that many of the bad reviews of this place are from years/months past and not necessarily current. The reason I say this is that I noticed that there are some positive reviews of this place in recent months. The reason behind this I believe is that the place is undergoing a major renovation. When we were there, we noticed that they were chaning up a lot of things and all in all things were looking pretty good. Now, bear in mind, the hotel is not the height of luxury and never will be for the price that this can be had. But as a no frills, basic 2 star hotel we found it to be more than sufficient. The location is great for restaurants and shopping (many within walking distance). It has an outdoor pool which looked quite clean (although we didn't get a chance to use it). And it has FREE Wifi throughout the hotel (not just your room), which was great. After having been there once I wouldn't hesitate to stay again if I had to.

• Liked — Free Wifi throughout the hotel and convenient location
  • Disliked — Very basic rooms
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
US
Reviewed 22 June 2008

I was really worried after winning the hotel through Priceline. I expected the worst after reading all the reviews online. Well, both my husband and I were pleasantly surprised.

The parking lot was very large, newly paved, and well lit. The outdoor pool looked clean although we didn't get a chance to use it. Our room looked brand new and spotless. The curtain, the carpet, the bedding, and the decorative pillows all looked brand new with high quality. The mattress was comfortable. In the bathroom, there was a large, new granite couter top...plus a curved shower rod so the shower curtain doesn't come close to you when you take a shower.

I stayed in two other 3-star hotels in additional to this one on my trip to PA last week and I think this hotel is much nicer than the other two. This is rated as a 2-star hotel but I think it should be rated 3-star. I almost felt guilty staying there...paying only 1/3 of the hotel's regular rate through priceline.

• Liked — Everything is new
  • Disliked — None
Bethlehem PA
Reviewed 9 June 2008

I was very apprehensive about this hotel after I read some of the reviews, but I figured that for the ridiculously low rate I got through Priceline I couldn't expect too much, anyway. I ended up being pleasantly surprised by this hotel, which is definitely a little rough around the edges (it's in the middle of a much-needed renovation, and the elevators are still pretty icky) but on the whole isn't at all bad. My room was fine and had obviously been recently upgraded with Michael Graves-designed accessories (ice bucket, clock radio, coffee maker), True Blue Spa (Bath and Body Works) amenities, and Wolfgang Puck coffee pods. The coverlets and sheets on the double beds were clean and appeared new, and the furniture too was unblemished. The front desk staff were accommodating, and the free cookies and coffee in the reception area (along with the free bottled water in the rooms) was an unexpectedly nice touch. The fitness room was adequate in terms of cardio equipment (one decent treadmill, a good elliptical, and recumbent bike in addition to some older but still functional pieces), and the pool looked clean. Parking was free, too, which is a rare hotel perk these days! I didn't eat there, but the restaurant didn't look bad (and if it did, there are about six other franchise restaurants within a quarter-mile's drive of the hotel). Overall, I was pleased with the hotel; it was just eight miles from Hershey and for the price, well worth the little bit of backtracking I had to do to get there! In short, if you get this hotel through Priceline, don't freak out--it's better than you probably think.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
Chapel Hill, NC
Reviewed 8 June 2008

Booked 2 nights via Priceline, and after seeing the other reviews, almost decided not to show up!

But it's really not so bad - in fact, it was pretty nice. Certainly average or better for a hotel of this class (i.e. compared to Holiday Inn, Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden, etc.).

Front desk staff was efficient if not overly friendly. Room was clean and quiet. Pool looked nice although we didn't try it out.

There was a sign on the elevator saying they are doing some renovations - maybe we lucked out and got a new room, but the carpet and linens seemed new and very clean.

I'd definitely stay here again.

Schenectady
Reviewed 22 April 2008

We requested a non-smoking room and a crib. What did we get? A room that smelled like a pack of cigarettes had just been lit. Also, they said they ran out of cribs and for us to use the pull out couch (for a 6 month old baby!!)

After a lot of confusion and wasted time, we were given a room with a broken closet door, sagging mattress, filthy air conditioning unit vents and the pull out couch's mattress springs were coming through the mattress. There was even mold on the ceiling near the broken closet door! I had to take pictures of the mess because I knew that no one would believe the horrible state of disrepair. I sent the pictures and a letter to the corporate headquarters and it has, so far, gone unanswered.

Second and third calls to the manager yielded no result. This was, by far, the worst hotel we've ever encountered. Poor service, uncaring staff and disgusting rooms. I wouldn't recommend this place to my ex-wife's boyfriend's dog.

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — just about everything
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
Bloomfield, New Jersey
Reviewed 17 August 2007

My family and I stayed in this Hotel in 2005 and thought it was a great deal for the price. When we decided to return to the Hershey area, I didn't even think to look at the reviews. We looked at them after our stay and realized that they were right on. I have to say that this Hotel is in need of a major upgrade. Upon first arriviving, we noticed that every plant in front of the Hotel was dead. There were big beautiful pots with dead trees in them. The staff was very courteous and friendly. That was the only positive. I tried to purchase a feminie hygeine product from the women's bathroom and was told the machine was empty. The room itself looked very run down. The wallpaper was peeling. There was mold in the tub area and on the shower curtain. The sheets never stayed on the bed, They were curling around us all night. To top it off, my daughter came home with red bumps on her chest. At this point we are wondering if these are bed bugs. I would never recommend this Hotel.

Stayed August 2007
new jersey
Reviewed 16 July 2007

my husband and i reserved this hotel online-it looked clean & spacious -all for $119 a night so we thought it was a good deal while we visited hershey park. we walked in & were first alarmed by the non-working elevator-then the room with the dirty carpet but what blew me away was the not even enough room for 1 person shower stall. it was disgusting. when i asked for our money back within 15 minutes, the front desk told me we had a "deluxe room". this was substandard for any hotel .. we moved over to the fairfield inn . ironically, we were told by the fairfield inn that i was the 5th person to call from the wyndham requesting a room.

• Liked — that they gave us our money back so we could go somewhere else.
  • Disliked — everything.
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple