“Good stay...just one problem”
Review of Harrisburg Hotel

Harrisburg Hotel
Ranked #43 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
East Greenbush, NY
“Good stay...just one problem”
Reviewed 29 July 2008

I read a lot of car reviews, and a few years ago when they restyled the Hyundai Sonata someone once wrote that this is the first Hyundai that they could recommend without saying, "...for the price." I payed $40 a night through Priceline for this hotel. I really wanted to be able to say that I could have wholeheartedly recommended this hotel without having to say, "...for the price," but I don't think I can.

Check in went VERY smoothly. When we got to the room I noticed that the a/c didn't work so well, but we put our (me, my wife, our 7 year old, and our 14 month old's) stuff down, went to the bathroom, looked for the bible, all the stuff you do when you get into a hotel room. My wife sat on one of the beds and the leg of the bed cracked off. GREAT I thought. I called the front desk and they said that they would give us another room. We went back down, and in about 30 seconds we had another room. I was impressed.

We went to the new room and I was pretty happy, the a/c seemed to work a lot better so I didn't even mind that they had to switch us. I should say that my wife didn't think that the a/c worked so well so we had it on basically 24 hours for the 4 nights we were there. Usually I am the one who is always hot and she's always cold but not this time. According to her it was warm in the room, but according to my hard nipples and my genitals which migrated into my abdomen, I thought that the a/c worked fine.

The staff was friendly, and the room was clean, they gave us two bottles of Poland Spring water every day. My wife thought the pillows were scratchy, I thought they were fine. I don't drink coffee, but they tended to not restock the regular coffee in the room so my wife had to have decaf a couple of times which made her grumpy. While the pool area was nice, the pool was kinda small and shallow. (5 feet at its deepest.) My wife was disappointed because the room didn't come with a refrigerator or a microwave. I have to say that for a 3 star hotel I also would have expected it, but all we had to keep cold was our baby's milk so we made do with the ice bucket. That is until my wife met the manager's wife at the pool who said all we had to do was request them and they would be brought to us. By the time her and our son got back from the pool they had already brought them up to our room at the manager's request.

Having said all of this, I should say that I tend to be much more apathetic about such things and tend to have lower standards for things like food. If I start out hungry and end up full, it's all good. Same with a hotel room, if I have a place to sleep and I don't wake up with a stiff back, it's all good. I would describe my wife as having normal standards and me as having low standards.

Now, why do I have to quantify this review with "...for the price." On our first night, I had to go out to our car to get something. It had just started to rain and the pool was starting to clear out. The elevator was full and two of us got off on the third floor. I followed a guy down the hall all the way to my room. I told him that I thought he had the wrong room. He said that they had just given him this room. I told him that they had already given me the room earlier in the day, all my stuff and my family were in the room. He apologized and went to get another room. I called the front desk, and asked them if there was some confusion because they had to switch our room, but they said no. I asked them to not give out my room again.

The guy seemed very nice, but from what I've read about him, so was Ted Bundy. If I had not been right behind him, had I gone to get gas or whatever, this guy would have gotten in with my wife and kids inside. This to me is pretty unacceptable. There's nothing the hotel could have done to fix it and I would hope it was just a freak mistake, but this is the one thing that prevents me from rating the place higher than I did.

I looked on the hotel's website and they wanted $139 per night. If I had paid that this place would have gotten 2 stars. Had I not been right behind the guy who had been given the wrong room and I had paid $139 per night they would have gotten one star. Had I paid $139 per night and they didn't give out our room I would have given them 3 stars. But because I was there when they gave someone else our room and "for the price," we had a great stay.

• Liked — The price
  • Disliked — They gave my room to someone else
1 Thank stewierocks

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
pa
Reviewed 28 July 2008

Could not take a shower our first night because the tub drain was clogged and soiled with dirty soap scum. My daughter complained about hair being in the towels. No kleenex dispenser. Noise in the halls unbearable the first night, had to call the front desk 3 times,which was of no use. The second day had to call for washcloths since we had none. Pillows were bad. My daughter was happy to go home

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — clogged bathtub drain
NYC
Reviewed 22 July 2008

Like others, I was really nervous about this hotel after reading the bad reviews. But, it really was an okay hotel. Yes, it is old looking. The rooms are clean, though. Frankly, that is always the most important thing for me.

We had the "plush king" room and a friend had a room with two double beds (or queens, I can't remember). The staff was VERY courteous and friendly.

The only problem I found was the air conditioning. They replaced my friends within minutes of us letting them know it wasn't working. But, they never made the rooms cold. If you want a hotel with a really cold a/c unit, this isn't the place for you. We did find that it was comfortable to sleep in. I just think to conserve energy, they have a main control somewhere that keeps it from getting too cool. Just an opinion.

Nice pool. Not a large pool, but good enough for the kids to take a swim. It went up to 5 ft.

For the price, it was a good deal for this area. Just a few miles from Hershey Park.

1 Thank robamjac
Lumberton
Reviewed 7 July 2008

Not very good for the money - $136. It was really basic with old furniture with a run down look. When you get your room card it comes with a post it note indicating your room number. Many things were in short supply like trash cans. Definetly was not worth the price. There were some other nice hotels nearby such as La Quinta and Sheration. I'll try those next time.

• Liked — pool
  • Disliked — all of the rest
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed 25 June 2008

After reading all the bad reviews of this place, I was really scared as to what we were in for. Turns out that the hotel is not nearly that bad. My thinking is that many of the bad reviews of this place are from years/months past and not necessarily current. The reason I say this is that I noticed that there are some positive reviews of this place in recent months. The reason behind this I believe is that the place is undergoing a major renovation. When we were there, we noticed that they were chaning up a lot of things and all in all things were looking pretty good. Now, bear in mind, the hotel is not the height of luxury and never will be for the price that this can be had. But as a no frills, basic 2 star hotel we found it to be more than sufficient. The location is great for restaurants and shopping (many within walking distance). It has an outdoor pool which looked quite clean (although we didn't get a chance to use it). And it has FREE Wifi throughout the hotel (not just your room), which was great. After having been there once I wouldn't hesitate to stay again if I had to.

• Liked — Free Wifi throughout the hotel and convenient location
  • Disliked — Very basic rooms
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
US
Reviewed 22 June 2008

I was really worried after winning the hotel through Priceline. I expected the worst after reading all the reviews online. Well, both my husband and I were pleasantly surprised.

The parking lot was very large, newly paved, and well lit. The outdoor pool looked clean although we didn't get a chance to use it. Our room looked brand new and spotless. The curtain, the carpet, the bedding, and the decorative pillows all looked brand new with high quality. The mattress was comfortable. In the bathroom, there was a large, new granite couter top...plus a curved shower rod so the shower curtain doesn't come close to you when you take a shower.

I stayed in two other 3-star hotels in additional to this one on my trip to PA last week and I think this hotel is much nicer than the other two. This is rated as a 2-star hotel but I think it should be rated 3-star. I almost felt guilty staying there...paying only 1/3 of the hotel's regular rate through priceline.

• Liked — Everything is new
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
Bethlehem PA
Reviewed 9 June 2008

I was very apprehensive about this hotel after I read some of the reviews, but I figured that for the ridiculously low rate I got through Priceline I couldn't expect too much, anyway. I ended up being pleasantly surprised by this hotel, which is definitely a little rough around the edges (it's in the middle of a much-needed renovation, and the elevators are still pretty icky) but on the whole isn't at all bad. My room was fine and had obviously been recently upgraded with Michael Graves-designed accessories (ice bucket, clock radio, coffee maker), True Blue Spa (Bath and Body Works) amenities, and Wolfgang Puck coffee pods. The coverlets and sheets on the double beds were clean and appeared new, and the furniture too was unblemished. The front desk staff were accommodating, and the free cookies and coffee in the reception area (along with the free bottled water in the rooms) was an unexpectedly nice touch. The fitness room was adequate in terms of cardio equipment (one decent treadmill, a good elliptical, and recumbent bike in addition to some older but still functional pieces), and the pool looked clean. Parking was free, too, which is a rare hotel perk these days! I didn't eat there, but the restaurant didn't look bad (and if it did, there are about six other franchise restaurants within a quarter-mile's drive of the hotel). Overall, I was pleased with the hotel; it was just eight miles from Hershey and for the price, well worth the little bit of backtracking I had to do to get there! In short, if you get this hotel through Priceline, don't freak out--it's better than you probably think.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple