“falling apart”

Ranked #42 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Reviewed 26 April 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 21 April 2014

My husband and our two kids (5 and 9) stayed here this past weekend as an Easter Hershey get-away. Although we did not spend too much time in the hotel, I can tell you that our room had multiple cobwebs hanging from the ceiling and there was no hot water when I went to shower at 9:00am! I was not a happy mom! The selection at the grab-and-go cafe is very limited for breakfast and the hotel itself is worn- dirty and torn wall paper in the hallways. I will say the room size was good for the 4 of us and the staff was very nice. I would choose a different hotel next time as the accomoadations were fair and the location to both Hershey and dowtown Harriburg was not that great.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank woodward2021
Reviewed 31 March 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts
HospitalitySteve_11, General Manager at Harrisburg Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Reviewed 29 March 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 21 March 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts
HospitalitySteve_11, General Manager at Harrisburg Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Reviewed 19 March 2014

I have stayed at this Wyndham on numerous occasions, I travel very often. My last trip to this Wyndham location pushed me to write a review. The Customer Service employees are simply in need of a complete overhaul, the only staff member I have encountered that seems to even provide AVG customer service is the heavy set African American woman, the rest have just been downright awful. They clean you're room and don't even replace simple items such as wash cloths. You call to complain that things weren't done properly, they simply lie to you and tell you that someone will bring the items to you're room, however, no one ever does.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank JPMtravels

First let me apologize that the service was not up to our normal standards. Hopefully you can see from the many positive comments on our associates this is not something we hear often. We are having our All Associate meeting on Friday and I will be reviewing your comments with everyone.

We take your comments very seriously and service is job #1. I do hope you will give a chance in the future to so we can show you improvement can and has been made.

Stephen Tremmel

Reviewed 12 March 2014

I booked a meeting here on short notice as the other hotels I use in the area were already booked. I was going to hold my review back a little, except I see that 2 days ago the General Manager Steve posted to John B. that the water pump was fixed, but that is not true. Only 1 of their 2 pumps was still working YESTERDAY. Of my 60 attendees, only 3 had warm showers yesterday morning, and I was told the pump is 'on order' which means that it won't be fixed until after this review posts.
The meeting planner was nowhere to be seen when setting up as she has strict set hours of 8-5 with an hour lunch break, so if you plan an event outside of these hours, do not expect any assistance from the planning staff, they leave it up to the front desk and poor food manager who not only preps all food, but sets up, cleans and tears down all of the spaces with his small staff who are young and lacking professionalism (except the girl on his staff who went above and beyond to apologize for the delays I kept encountering with set-ups and clean-ups.)

We were supposed to have pens and notepads on the tables for my guys to take notes- they didn't have notepads (which were also on order), so when the meeting planner did finally arrive on Monday, she thankfully ran to the Dollar Store and Target to get notepads for my team to use.

I guess I expected a lot from the Wyndham name when planning the event. The space was shoddy and we had a leaky pipe from the ceiling dripping into garbage pails- was told it was fixed after our first day, then returned the next day to a worse leak in the same spot. We had to request that the room be vacuumed both days, and our eating space was not cleaned from the day before. The table skitrts were terribly wrinkled- I don't think they had ever been pressed or steamed.
Glasses were placed on the tables wet, so they were spotty and looked filthy. We ended up with bottled water and styrofoam cups our 2nd day since my team wouldn't use the glasses. All of the plates were mis-matched and there were dirty ones mixed with clean ones- I had to remove 5 plates from a stack at breakfast that had food stuck on them.
The food was ok at lunch, worse at dinner, and terrible (read inedible) at breakfast- our saving grace were the bagels which we were able to toast in the dirty toasters. The soup of the day on Tuesday was the soup-of-the-day-before in the same container (when you can see the rings from the day before, that's bad).
And don't order bar service- we were promised 8 liquors and received 3- not even the name brands that were listed on the banquet menu (Seagrams was NOT on the list). They didn't chill the white wine. My team ended up going to the bar up the street when the hotel had a chance to make a lot of money off my guys if they had only provided what was promised.
If you get the meeting package, the soda is served in pitchers- not cans and bottles like any other meeting, but pitchers, with no ice to add. And if they are the silver pitchers, there may be a film on the top of the soda.
It was a lot of unfortunate events that happened, but I can't believe that we are the only group that has experienced these issues.
The actual hotel rooms were pretty comforable, so that is one positive I can post about. I had an issue with my toilet not working when I checked in, but they did fix that right away. My AC unit looked like it had seen better days, but still worked fairly well. The bed was very comfortable. A few of my guys had mentioned a few other small things about their rooms which I brought to the front desk.
Overall my experience was not good at all. I plan and attend a lot of meetings, and this was by far the worst.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
HospitalitySteve_11, General Manager at Harrisburg Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Dear Ms.Lindsey B.

I appreciate your review. First let me apologize for the combination of issues that you experienced both for your meeting and your guest. I want you to know I take full responsibility for them and I authorized a credit for two of your functions that you and Stefanie have discussed. I realize this does not fix the problem but I have listed some of the solutions below

Even prior to seeing your review I had an action plan meeting with my staff and also my V.P of Operations to review our staffing and the responsibility of individual team members. What you experienced is unacceptable and immediate action to correct the issues is being implemented now. This is not our standard and will be corrected immediately.

Briefly I did want to explain the hot water and leak situation . Honestly it was a bad week for us and we did have the one heater repaired and as luck would have it the second one began to go. Needles to say we are replacing it as well. There simply is not any way to know when these unfortunate things can happen. I realize that none of this helps you at this point but I did want you to know what happened.

Thank you for the positive comments on our guest rooms our housekeeping and maintenance staff do work hard to insure they are clean and comfortable and that everything works.

Again I want to offer my sincere apology for your experience with us. Your comments will be posted and reviewed with all our associates so we can all will learn from them.

Stephen Tremmel