“Great service, Great stay”
Review of Harrisburg Hotel

Harrisburg Hotel
Ranked #42 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Scranton, Pennsylvania
“Great service, Great stay”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

After a long work day ( and driving), I received excellent customer service, which was a welcomed relief. The location of the hotel was well suited for me. The staff was hospitable, and the 24 hr. Barista came in handy. I was able to grab something good to eat without leaving the hotel. I could take a pizza up to my room, finish some paperwork and relax.....'Thumbs up' overall

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Andrew B
HospitalitySteve_11, General Manager at Harrisburg Hotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
I appreciate your taking time out your day to write a review of your stay. We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay . As you mentioned our location is perfect for visiting the Harrisburg/Hershey area and easy to find. I will be sure to let our staff know because they work very hard to make each and every guest have a memorable stay. Thanks again and we look forward to seeing the next time you visit the area.

Steve Tremmel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Wampum, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel in April. The rooms were very clean, the front desk was very polite when we checked in. It was a very nice relaxing time that me and my husband and I needed. They had a very nice snack bar and nice selection of breakfast food. My averall experience was very good. thank You

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank delmiller
This is what we love to hear. Our goal is always to provide clean rooms with the right touch of good customer service. See you next time!

Wampum, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I stayed here May 3 for a hockey meet for my son!! I did read other trip advisors and had concerns. I was so delighted with the staff and the housekeeping department on how clean the rooms were kept!!! I was checking into my room after a long 4 hour trip with 5 kids in our mini van and there were housekeeping staff still in the hall way cleaning rooms. I heard a knock on my door and after being in the room for minutes and to my amazement this housekeeper named Rossy was standing there with extra towels. I guess she notice that we had a full house in lodging room and just went out of her way to bring us extra towels in our room. This is a great hotel and they have staff that really care about the experience here in Harrisburg. I know that if we ever get into more hockey meets in the Harrisburg area that the Wyndham garden hotel will be the first place that I will call.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the front of the building great view!!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Chase M
All I can say is thank-you for making Rossy's day.

Washington, DC
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Similar to last review I read, we were in town for a concert and booked rooms based on location and affordability. The online non-refundable rate was considerably less than refundable.

The hotel seemed understaffed based on the occupancy. The front desk seemed overwhelmed. the room was a non-descript hotel room and the bathroom was showing its age and the shower handle was not very intuitive. The a/c was loud.

Although they say ice is on every other floor, the only ice machine I found didn't work. I asked at the front desk and was told that she would have to get it for me... which took a bit of waiting since she was assisting someone and taking calls. She managed to get me a half-bucket without a smile.

The lobby has minimal seating and has a snack/restaurant/bar thing. Came down for a cup of coffee in the am and had to ring the bell for assistance. Saw someone getting a microwave breakfast sandwich. There is a "business center" in the lobby, which is a desk with a computer.

There is a McDonalds close by and a Bob Evans next door.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Eyeballs
HospitalitySteve_11, General Manager at Harrisburg Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We do take them all very seriously. It looks like you were here for the recent Bruce Springsteen concert and were quite busy that day. There is no excuse for poor service and are always looking for ways to improve . I can tell you we did have a run on ice for guest going to concert that depleted our ice machines which were unable to keep up with the demand. I am very sorry for that and will tell you we are adding additional ice machines to handle future demands.
Again I am truly sorry your stay was not the best and do hope you will give us a chance in the future to be of service so you can see improvement can and has been made.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Stayed over in Harrisburg for one night to attend a concert in nearby Hershey. Hotels were limited and I foolishly did not listen to the other reviewers here regarding the many reasons to avoid this Wyndham. I had never previously stayed at a Wyndham property, but what I experienced was what you would expect from a roadside, pay-by-the-hour motel.

First and foremost, Calvin at the check-in desk was very overwhelmed. There were about 6 groups of people trying to check-in at the same time. This equaled about 12 or more people all standing around the counter while he tried to check people in as well as answer calls from people making complaints. Another gentleman came over about halfway through to assist Calvin, but it was his first time using the computer and had no idea what to do. When we finally got checked in and walked to the elevators, a handwritten sign that said "no water from 1:30 -2:00." So not only did check-in take 30 minutes, we could not even take a shower in the room.

If I wrote about everything wrong with the room this review would turn into a novel. To sum it up, the bathroom floor had a puddle of water, the tissues were pulled out and then shoved back in to the box (see photo), the toilet roll holder was broken, the shower curtain was badly stained with mildew, the only light fixture in the bathroom that worked was an intense heat lamp (and no bathroom fan), my pillow had a weird orange/brown stain (see photo), there was a bottle of liquor left in one of the dresser drawers (see photo), and worst of all there were spiders coming in through the A/C unit. I killed about 6 spiders during the evening of check-in and 2 more the morning of check-out (see photo of spider on my bed when I woke up.) This has been my only experience at a hotel where I called other nearby hotels to inquire about vacancy after checking in. If one nearby could have accommodated me I would have moved. I would have never expected a mid-level Wyndham to be perfect, but this was beyond belief. One redeeming quality of the otherwise dirty bathroom was that the shower head water pressure was very good.

E-mails to Stephen, the GM went unanswered and I am hoping Wyndham corporate can look into this miserable property.

There are plenty of other hotels in the area that seemed to be held to much higher standard at a similar price point.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jeff H
First and foremost I apologize you received no response to your e-mails. The fact is I did not receive any in my Wyndham mail. Here is my direct line so you can contact me by phone 717.558.9500 ext 104. I see by your comments that as with the previous reviewer you were here for the recent Bruce Springsteen concert and we frankly were caught off guard with last minute reservations.I take full responsibility for that. I know that does not help you now and would like to refund you for the problems you had. Hopefully you can see from the many positive reviews on this site and other 3rd party sites we do learn from them and always continue to coach our associates in all area's of the hotel . I look forward to hearing from you.

Respectfully ,
Stephen Tremmel
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here last year. Staff is very nice. Had to ask for new room as 334 smelled a little moldy. 328 much better, however bed by window was saggy, door chipped and warped. Bathroom ceiling was moldy and bad paint patches everywhere in room. Water pressure awesome! Great shower. Room gets very bright in morning. Stayed 2 nights. Starbucks no decaf and the snack bar really was sad. This hotel needs some TLC, I manage a community and know sometimes it's not management, you can do your best, that's is the owners that will not kick in $$ or staff hours. Not sure if we will stay here again, it has gone down hill since last year.

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Kirstinjoy1204
Thanks for taking the time to write both of your reviews and also of being a repeat guest. We do appreciate your business. Please know I am committed to ensuring all our guest are satisfied and will return. Please contact me directly the next time you visit the Harrisburg/Hershey area.

Steve Tremmel,