“Very Comfortable Beds and Well Appointed Breakfast Buffet”

Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg East
Ranked #32 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
New York
“Very Comfortable Beds and Well Appointed Breakfast Buffet”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

This Holiday Inn Express had one of the best free breakfast buffets I've seen (at a select service hotel). The pancakes (made via automated machine) were very popular, to the point it had run out of batter both mornings I was there (It was refilled however on one of the two mornings). The beds as stated above were very comfortable (reminded me of a Hilton Garden Inn I stayed at near Denver International Airport). The bathroom was clean with great shower water pressure and plenty of hot water even through the hotel appeared to be very busy. Wood items (desk, armoire, nightstands) in the rooms showing wear as well as the veneer on the inside of the bathroom door was blistered and peeling (no doubt from humidity from showers). Easy on and off from I-83, yet still a quiet location. McDonald's is next door. Also close by are Wendy's, Texas Road House, Rita's custard and Waffle House, etc. Free individually wrapped cookies at front desk check-in and check-out.

Room Tip: Hotel has just 1 elevator, which was also shared with Housekeepers and their carts, so longer waits...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank EarlyBuyer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 14 April 2012

I stayed a night in this Harrisburg hotel in April 2012. My overall impression was that this hotel is slightly cleaner, maybe refurhished since everyhting seemed to be failrly new, than the most of the Holiday Inn Express'es where I have stayed.

The breakfast was naturally excatly the same what you can get in any Holiday Inn Express hotel - consistent quality!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Traveller007Finland
Oakhurst, New Jersey
Reviewed 13 April 2012

So I was looking to do a mini "Spring Break" getaway for my family, for the 1st weekend of April & I decided on Hershey Park. This month the park was opened for the 2 weekends for spring beak & the ticket prices were actually very inexpensive. I looked through so many sites for hotel deals & everything was coming up $75 - $100 per night, even the "Family Packages" at tthose big wig hotels with the kids stay & play for free were ridiculously priced!
So I decided to use Hotwire.com never used the site didn't know anything about it, or even how it worked, as a matter of fact I had to call their customer service # because I was stumped, OK so I picked this $53.00 price, with a 3 1/2 star rating, figuring I should be safe & paid for it & rec'd a email with this hotel's name ( Holiday Inn Express) & information, their website showed some pictures it looked ok, but I've seen some pictures of places & OMG they were gross. I was almost frightened, but I figured what the heck for $96 for 4 txt to the park, & about $113 for the hotel we were getting away for $230 for 3 days & 2 nights.
We arrived April 5th, the outside was nice, parking very easy & close to the front door, clean, welcoming & it was so easy to get to, visable from the highway! I went through the hotel's doors & OMG how beautiful! Modern, decore was beautiful, clean, smelled good. The welcome desk was to the right & the woman who greeted me was friendly & quick & welcoming, the cookies on the desk wasn't bad either! We were checked into the 2nd floor, Room 215, the room was beautiful, again very clean, modern, & the decore was absolutely beautiful, flat screen tv mounted to the wall, mini fridge, & nice deep drawers in the dresser that actually fit all my family's clothes, which rarely happens. The bathroom also beautiful & clean! The floor wasn't sticky which means they actually wash the floor instead of just spraying it with some glass cleaner & paper toweling it. The shower head large & lots of water pressure, & no black mold, yeah! Also in the bathroom they had shampoo, conditioner, soap, mouthwash & a makeup remover wipe, which I was so thankful for I totally forgot to pack mine, Thank you Holiday Inn Express.
The hotel was located near so many resturants & stores, even a car wash which we took advantage of, after been on the road for near 4 hours our windshield was YUK.
My only small dissapointment was my room was right next to the elevator so needless to say each & everytime someone used the elevator the noise was right behind our head because of how the beds were placed in the room, that would be my only suggestion to change in that room, it vibrated in my head for 2 nights, which made my sleep miserable, oh the the pillows were terrible also, so flat. The beds were so comfortable though. The morning express breakfast wasn't that great either, it was semi-par, but for free I can't complain.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Goakhurst68
Ringwood, New Jersey
Reviewed 27 March 2012

From the moment of our arrival, Brandy demonstrated extraordinary skills in accomplishing her job; she clearly enjoys her position. Although she was alone at the reception desk, she greeted each guest with a smile and enthusiasm and assited them with efficiency. In addition, when I asked if the property had fax capability, Brandy readily responded in the affirmative; in fact, there were 12 pages to fax. Even though it was during the peak check-in time, Brandy sent the fax material quickly and with her usual smile and enthusiasm.

Also, Justin assisted us with two different tasks and he performed them with kindness and graciousness! Justin fully understands how to make the guests feel welcome and very important. He is a great asset to this property.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors are more desirable.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Small room. Cramped bathroom with nonworking heat light. Dog odor in hallway. Average breakfast. However, it was quiet and location was good.

Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank peter s
skier67, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg East, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for selecting our hotel during your recent visit to our area. Our staff members take great pride to ensure that our guests receive quality, clean and comfortable accommodations during their stay. For this reason, I was greatly disappointed to learn of your experience with us. Please be assured that your comments have been brought to the attention of our Maintenance Engineer and Executive Housekeeping Manager, and additional staff training is being conducted to eliminate future occurrences.

I was pleased that you found our location quiet and convenient and I hope that will stop back, during your next visit to the Harrisburg/Hershey area, to give another try to redeem ourselves. Please feel free to contact me personally at (717)-561-8100 if you would like to discuss this further.

Calhoun, GA, USA
Reviewed 13 February 2012

We stopped here on our way from NYC to GA. The location is great right of the interstate. Plenty of resturants close by to eat dinner at. The rooms were clean, hotel had nice decor. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. I would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
skier67, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg East, responded to this review, 13 March 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us during your quick trip passing thru our area. I am very pleased that your stay was a very positive experience and that you would definitely stay with us again in the future. Our team members take great pride in providing clean accommodations and superior service, and they will be most pleased to learn of your experience with us! We hope that will visit us again in the future.

Regards,

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 20 January 2012

There are many good points for this hotel:
- good location with several stores and restaurants nearby
- nice large lobby area
- large room with comfy beds, nice work area
- everything worked properly (fridge, LCD tv, heating unit, WiFi)
- fair size breakfast area with good breakfast items
However there were two points that lowered my rating.
The check in took a long time. There was one staff person behind the counter and 2 people ahead of me with many questions to ask checking in. After dealing with the people and a phone call I did not find the staff very friendly. I should have been acknowledged earlier or another person should have been present. Also no mention of my priority club membership. This may have been a rare occasion but it happened this time.
I found the room especially the bathroom (eg blackened grout) needed a sprucing up (eg paint job).
If and when in the area again I will try this hotel once more and hopefully I'll be able to rate it higher.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

I truly appreciate your feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I was very pleased that, overall, you found our hotel to be very appealing and our location convenient. I would like to apologize for the lengthy process at check-in time and also not being greeted appropriately. Being in the hospitality industry, this is of great concern to me and will be addresses immediately with all team members. Also, please be assured that your comments regarding the condition of your room have been forwarded to our engineering department and they have begun a maintenance program to address these concerns. Again, thank you for your comments and we hope that you will return and visit us again during your next visit to the Harrisburg/Hershey area.

Regards,