“Poor conditions but pleasant staff”

Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg East
Ranked #30 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
New York City, New York
“Poor conditions but pleasant staff”
Reviewed 15 August 2013

One drawer and one cabinet door had missing knobs on them. I found one of the knobs in one of the drawers. One of the queen beds had black stains on the sheets. The front desk staff were friendly as were housekeeping. There was only one washer and one dryer for the entire hotel and was always being used by one guest or another. The elevator took a very long time to arrive at your floor. The doors to the rooms shut pretty loudly. I would not come back here or recommend this place to my friends.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Chloe L
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg East, responded to this review, 1 September 2013
Dear Chloe L,

Thank you for your feedback of our property. We strive to provide the best possible experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. I am sorry that on this day you found your stay to be less than satisfactory due to the condition of the room amenities and elevator service. I have taken note and wish to thank you for your valuable feedback as this is our best resource of improving our services.

Once again, thank you for posting your comments.

Zelyn N
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I did a weekend stay here at this holiday inn and It was just awesome! The front desk lady, brandy shartzer, made sure I felt very welcomed, made sure i had the correct room, made me laugh, and held a conversation with me and made me feel very comfortable with my stay there. She was just all out awesome and made sure I had a great time!! I'm looking forward to visiting again next June!

• Stayed June 2013
Reviewed 13 August 2013

First off this hotel has the most wonderful staff out of any of the hotels in the area. Brandy, the front desk clerk its always pleasant and very informative on things to do, places to eat our directions to wherever I might need to go. I have been staying here often (multiple times a month) for the past 3 years. The whole staff has become part of my family I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else. The rooms are cozy and updated with flat screen Tv's. The fitness room and pool are great amenities. The breakfast is great, I'm a sucker for biscuits and gravy. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013
Oak Creek, Wisconsin
Reviewed 13 August 2013

excellent place to stay! the rooms were clean. very courteous staff. Brandy was very helpful and made me feel right at home. i would certainly stay here the next time i am in the area and would recommend this to my friends.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Although this hotel needs an overhaul.... I can cancel out my negative feelings towards housekeeping when Mary, the bartender/gm comes in at 4pm! We have been seeing her during our annual visits, sometimes bi-annual, for the past 8 years for an Irish Dance competition and it's like seeing someone you've known all your life. She spends time chatting with us and catching up on the past year, yet all the while managing crowds in spurts, especially when she is swamped after 9!
She seems to have that certain expertise dealing with any customer, and/or staff!
She is a hidden gift to Holiday Inn. For the most part, we do not look forward to this very intense weekend, encompassed with a very long day in the ballroom, but knowing Mary is working, helps ease the pain! She make my stay worth it!

Dee Adams

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg East, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Dear Dee A,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us, we value your loyalty to our brand and hotels. I appreciate your kind words about Mary. Our staff does their utmost to provide you with excellent service and an optimized stay. Therefore we are delighted to hear that you experienced this as such. We strive to give great and impressive service to all of our guests and it makes us happy to read we exceeded your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back to our establishment.

Krysllin G
North Carolina
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Stayed here for two nights with family. The room was clean and comfortable but the rest of the hotel was dirty. The same garbage and debris remained in the hallway near our room door our entire visit. Hallway carpets were noticeably dirty as were the vending and ice machine areas. Pool area was clean. Breakfast was a disaster each morning due partly to the number of people trying eat at the same time- I ate breakfast at 6:30 the second day which was better that at 8:00. Staff was nice enough and accommodating. However, we requested an early check in which is always hit or miss, and had some problems. We called the morning of our arrival date to confirm the early check in and were told that the room was indeed ready and that we could check in anytime we’d like. We told them that we were still travelling but expected to be their around noon and they indicated that would be fine. When we arrived two hours later they did not have a room and were told to go eat lunch. We checked in around 5:00 instead. The elevator is SLOW, we were on the 4th floor and used the stairs most of our visit. For $100 it was OK, but next time I will spend a few more dollars and stay elsewhere

Room Tip: choose a room on the first floor- elevator is slow
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg East, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
Dear MAPAMC,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I am pleased to know that you had a satisfactory stay at our hotel and apologized for the issues you have encountered during your stay with us. I appreciate feedback that we receive, whether positive and negative to ensure we provide the best level of service and facilities that we can give to our guests. Thank you again for your review and I hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Krysllin G.
Salisbury, North Carolina
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We have made the trip from Maine to North Carolina multiple times and stayed at many hotels along the way, but we have a new favorite. This hotel was by far the best in this range for all attributes - services, cleanliness, and accommodations.

The staff clearly know how to take care of the customer and do an excellent job delivering. Check in was quick and efficient.

The hotel is in excellent condition, with a large convenient lobby (multiple computers available for your use) and well designed. The rooms were appointed very well and many conveniences were thought of.

Well done.