“Pet friendly”
Review of Hilton Harrisburg

Hilton Harrisburg
Ranked #7 of 51 Hotels in Harrisburg
Reviewed 30 November 2013

They were very pet friendly at this hotel. Had a food and water bowl that Ralph could use. Out front they had an area for him as well. The hotel itself is large and clean. The staff is very friendly and helpful. It was a perfect quick trip to Harrisburg.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at Hilton Harrisburg, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Robert & Ralph,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I am pleased that you were able to join us. We appreciate that your four legged friends are part of your family and are glad that we could make it comfortable for all for all of you. We look forward to a chance to welcome you back again.
Portfolio Reputation Manager - Hilton Harrisburg

Write a ReviewReviews (1,134)

Reviewed 25 November 2013

This is a very nice hotel in Harrisburg. The bathroom is big, with updated fixtures and good lighting. The hotel has room service and a hotel and bar. The location is great because you are close to many restaurants and bars within walking distance.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Kimberly,
Thank you so much for your loyalty to the hotel. We love to know that your positive experiences keep you coming back. Thank you for sharing your feedback with your fellow travelers. We appreciate your feedback about the specific improvements we have been making throughout our hotel refresh. We look forward to continuing to welcome you back.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

Lots of nearby restuarants and events nearby. It's a good hotel, but a bit tired. The parking situation is a little akward. I found it, but was never 100% positive I was doing the right thing. For peace of mind, perhaps valet would have been better.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Shawn,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We truly value your input and very much rely on you, our guest, to help us improve our hotel operation. Please know that we are in the process of refreshing all of our guest rooms and look forward to unveiling an updated experience soon. I am pleased that you enjoyed the hotel and the surrounding area. I can appreciate how confusing an unfamiliar parking garage can be, our tam is happy to explain the process to you upon your return. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Although the hotel's location is good that is it! I arrived on 11-11-13 for a housing conference. Upon checking in and going to my room located on the 6th floor I noticed entering the room something was not right. One look around the room and I found the following; finger nails, hair, bugs, maggots, stains on bed sheets/pillows, and a lot of dust. I was then moved to another room on the same floor only to find a lot of similar filth. Need less to say from about 2 pm to after 4 pm and talking with 5 different hotel staff managers/workers I was offered a bottle of champagne, a third room, and possible one night reimbursement. Are you kidding me! Due to the filth, two hours of bad service I was not about to try a third room, spend tax payer money, let alone stay until Wednesday and eat there. I would highly recommend choosing a different location to stay! What ever happened to customer service and just simply doing the right thing?

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Richard G
Phillip N, Manager at Hilton Harrisburg, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Good afternoon Richard,
I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience regarding your stay at our hotel. At Hilton, we always aim to ensure every guest feels cared for, valued and respected. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. I am sorry you were not satisfied with the cleanliness of the room you received. I have taken note of your valuable comments and rest assured, these will be used to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer to our guests. Thank you for staying with us, and we hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back again.
Phillip Neiswender
Rooms Division Manager

Reviewed 12 November 2013

The hotel is in a great location if you need to be in the heart of Harrisburg. Other than that, there isn't much else to say about the place. The rooms are a bit outdated (1970s thermostats?) and could use some sprucing. It's odd, the sink in my bathroom seemed to be renovated but everything else in the bathroom and room itself was old and screaming for a renovation. The parking situation is a bit messy so be prepared to spend a good 15 minutes unloading, finding the garage, waiting for the valet to give you your keys back while you check in, etc...

I do give them credit for a very nice gym, that was a pleasant surprise.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank LessWork M
Phillip N, Manager at Hilton Harrisburg, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Good morning,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience at our hotel with us. We strive to provide the best possible service and guest experiences every day, and it’s always great to hear from our guests on how we’re doing. As you have pointed out, we too are excited about the changes that have been made with the renovation and appreciate the specific feedback about how we are improving. We look forward to unveiling the new room furnishings over the next few months. We thank you for your candid feedback, and hope that you have a chance to join us again soon.
Phillip Neiswender
Rooms Division Manager

Reviewed 10 November 2013

The Harrisburg Hilton is the nicest hotel in downtown Harrisburg but is not an A quality property. Very slow elevators, mediocre food, slow front desk, valet and bell service all hurt the experience. The hotel itself is also cheaply built with relatively poor noise insulation, low tiny toilets and adequate but not special furnishings. Valet service for you can can be slow. On recent stay front desk assigned us to a room right next to ice machine, did not answer when we called to ask for another room and when we went backed to the desk to change our room delivered our luggage to wrong room despite assurances to the contrary. Will look for another alternative for next stay.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jdocBaltimore
Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at Hilton Harrisburg, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

J Doc,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We pride ourselves on providing impeccable service and rely on your feedback to continue improving. Please know that we are in the process of undergoing a guest room refresh and look forward to unveiling a new experience soon. We will be using your experience as a training opportunity for our team and hope that you will consider joining us again. Your willingness to share your thoughts with us is genuinely appreciated. Please contact me if you have any additional feedback.
edailey@greenwoodhospitality.com
313-253-4344

Reviewed 3 November 2013

I really hate to give a low rating to a well know hotel name, but I feel my low score is warranted due to a very scary, unsettling experience I had while staying here. I have never encountered a similar situation and hope to never suffer this experience again, Thinking about it a week later makes my heart race. I met a group of cousins at the Hilton for our annual women’s get-a-way. We take turns picking areas in Pennsylvania, meet for lunch, spend a wonderful day together and depart after breakfast the following morning. We pack as much as we can into those 24 hours, have been doing this for years, and have always had a wonderful time.
Perhaps it is our advancing ages, or perhaps just the way things happen, but a few of us have had recent health issues which limited how much activity we could do at one time. We didn’t let this stop us, we just went until one of us got tired, that person went back to the hotel to rest, and the rest of the group continued to enjoy all the wonderful sites Harrisburg has to offer.
I returned to the hotel after lunch, and was sound asleep in bed when a knock on the door woke me at 2:20pm. I had removed my slacks and bra and only had on a top. I was slightly disoriented at first; waking from a sound sleep in an unfamiliar hotel room threw me for a moment. That coupled with my health issue may have delayed my response in getting to the door. I was assuming one of the other cousins was coming for a rest. As I rounded the foot of the bed, in view of the door, the door opened and a well-dressed gentleman was standing there saying something like “water inspector”. I was dizzy from getting out of bed so quickly, and given a huge shock with the door to my room opening while I was standing there not fully dressed. I tried to duck below the foot of the bed and must admit I was frightened, a state that is uncommon to me.
The gentleman did not enter the room, but he did keep the door opened enough that I could see him, so I know he could see me. My mind was racing, thinking, “water inspector”, what the heck is that, does my room have a leak? He then asked me if my room had 2 bottles of water! I quickly said “yes”, honestly I would have quipped “yes” had he asked if I had a case of water in my room, I just wanted the door shut and the man gone.
As soon as the gentleman left, I called guest services to tell them what happened. I told them I didn’t want them to be surprised when they saw this on Trip Advisor and I told them I wanted to file a complaint. I admitted that I did not have the ‘Do Not Disturb” sign on the door, I purposely did not put it there in case one of the other cousin’s, who recently had major surgery, needed to rest. I didn’t want her to come to the room tired and hesitate entering so as not to disturb my rest. For the same reason I did not have the extra locks on the door, I take responsibility for that, but I didn’t want to have to get up to let a cousin into the room. In the middle of the afternoon I really didn’t expect anyone else to come into the room.
The woman I spoke to at guest services assured me that the man was from their “water service” and was checking to make certain I had 2 bottle of water available to purchase if I wanted. WHAT?!? Why not just call the room, or better yet, check when the room is cleaned before it is rented out to a new guest? I never heard of such a thing, and would not have even imagined such an odd occurrence, especially at a major hotel chain. I felt embarrassed and violated, the episode upset me so deeply, especially when I think of other rooms he may have entered. What if the parent’s of a young teen girl left her showering while they ran downstairs to grab a bite? What if I hadn’t woken up with the knock and woke when the gentleman had entered the dark room and went to the water bottles? The frightening scenarios just keep popping into my head. Plus, for the reputation of the “water inspector”, why put the gentleman at risk of unfounded accusations by letting him open doors to occupied rooms alone? I feel this is a policy that needs to be stopped immediately.
I did receive a verbal “I’m sorry” from guest services. It is a shame that an otherwise wonderful weekend was spoiled by this incident. The Hilton was a nice hotel, with well-appointed rooms. Parking was a bit of a problem. They could use better directions from the parking garage attached to the hotel to the hotel. The floor the elevator opened to for the hotel looked like a subway entrance, I didn’t see any directions to the hotel, but fortunately another person on the elevator had been there before and guided me to the hotel. That took me to a second floor, so I just had to find my way downstairs to the lobby.
Even after the frightening experience, I would probably stay here again, only I’d post “Do Not Disturb” and lock all locks no matter what time of day or what extra hassle it would involve. The location of the Hilton is ideal for walking to the many wonderful sites. The shuttle service was nice. If you plan to arrive by car, using a GPS, verify the address you have for the Hilton is the one your GPS will be able to use. Also, the parking garage is down an alley directly behind the hotel, and up a block. We missed multiple turns due to the GPS difficulty and obscure entrance for the parking garage and needed to navigate multiple one-way streets to reach our destination.

Room Tip: I recommend using the "Do Not Disturb" sign and all the locks even if you are expecting a...