“Nothing special”

Ranked #7 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Atlanta, Georgia
“Nothing special”
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

Trip to hotel started badly. The shuttle driver quoted thirty minutes, the second call made it over an hour wait; had to take a cab. Lobby is very old school dark woods and leather.
Check in was fine with a professional staff that was courteous and efficient. The elevators really needs attention very worn and aged. My room was large and well cleaned, carpet looked new but furniture was scratched, dented etc; time to upgrade. Bathroom was tiny I don't think my wife would be happy with space for her needs but it was sufficient for myself. No refrigerator or microwave available.
Business lunch catered by Hilton was very good. Varied choices and everything was well prepared and presented.
Leaving to return to the airport was just as bad as shuttle had to wait over an hour to return because of contracts with the airlines. Since the service was again unavailable I had another expensive cab ride.

This is neither the best or worse Hilton I have stayed at but I would look at alternatives at the price point they are getting.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank rszAtlanta_Ga
Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at Hilton Harrisburg, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
RSZ,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us regarding your most recent stay. We truly value your input and very much rely on you to help us improve. I am pleased that the service you experience on property was to the high level we expect. Please know that we are in the process of refreshing all guest areas, including the lobby and we look forward to unveiling a new guest experience soon. Please accept my sincere apologies that the shuttle did not offer the availability or timeliness that you deserve when coordinating airline travel. We will use your feedback to monitor the quality and service that we are providing to make changes. I hope that you will consider joining us again soon so we can provide you the experience you should be able to expect from us.
313-253-4344

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Arabic first
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I stayed for business at the Hilton Harrisburg for the third time on the weekend of April 26 and 27, 2014. I had very good experiences before and was looking forward to the stay. Check-in was easy. There was a family with some issues, so the front desk opened a new station right away to keep the line moving. My room on the 10th floor overlooked 2nd Street. The rooms had been renovated since my last stay, so everything was fresh and new. As a business traveler, I appreciated the comfortable bed and upgraded bath, as well as the free wifi. Check-out was quick and efficient. I did not eat in the restaurants, since all meals were catered by the hotel banquet facilities. Again, the food was great. The only downside was street noise, which is obviously not the hotel's fault. Downtown Harrisburg has become more lively in the past few years, with a rather loud bar just a block away. They did a brisk business Saturday night. Next time, I'll request an upper floor away from the street. Otherwise, a great stay, and I'd stay here again without hesitation.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor or a room that doesn't look out on 2nd Street to avoid street noise.
Chris,
I am pleased that you were able to join us for you business meetings. Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback regarding your recent stay with us. As you have pointed out, we too are excited about the changes that have been made with the renovation and appreciate the specific feedback about how we are improving. I am pleased that the caliber of service was still to the high level that you expect of us. Your willingness to share your thoughts with us is genuinely appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back again the next time you are in Harrisburg.
Reviewed 25 April 2014

This hotel's location is ideal for shopping, dining and urban night life. The service is excellent -the staff is friendly. The rooms are comfortable and many provide excellent river front views. This hotel is a good choice for business and families.

Viviani,
I am so pleased that you enjoyed the new rooms and that same gorgeous view! Thank you for choosing us as your hotel during your last visit. We try to make everyone’s visit memorable by providing the best comfort, the friendliest service, and the best of amenities; and it’s always great to hear from our guests on how we’re doing. Your willingness to share your thoughts with us is genuinely appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back again.
Columbia, United States
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We chose this hotel for a two night getaway to Harrisburg/Hershey with 3 small children. The size of the room was adequate, and the location is nice, with access to the Whitaker Center, theaters and shopping via the indoor Strawberry Arcade. However, the sliding doors on the closet and bathroom were not installed correctly, so I was concerned our small son was going to pull one of them down. I guess I expected more from a Hilton. For a lower rate at other hotels, you can get a bigger room that is just as nice, and breakfast too.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank Jennifer S
Jennifer,
Thank you for choosing us during your last visit. It was a pleasure to have you and your family at our hotel. We have recently undergone a renovation of our guest rooms and appreciate your feedback about the ways in which we can improve. We are refining the guest room experience, such as adjusting the doors to ensure unquestionable safety. We do hope that you will have a chance to join us again.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Due to work, I stay at this hotel 3-4 weeks a year. My work companions have always had complaints but I don't usually join in. However with a multimillion dollar renovation underway, the hotel just isn't getting better. Here's my experience:

I checked into a room with a view of a parking garage 20 ft from my window. No problem, someone has to get the crappy views. But there were no sheers on the window which meant I either had to allow the parking lot to watch me in my room or go without sunlight for 9 days. My refrigerator was broken and I lost all my food one night. I called late and asked that it be fixed the next day, which it wasn't. When I called back and also mentioned the window dressings, the manager was very nice, apologized, changed my room, and had room service send up comparable snacks to what I had lost. My new room had a much better view and working fridge but had an awful mess in the sink which I had to have housekeeping come up and clean. The next morning the outlet in the bathroom didn't work and I had to have that fixed too.

So in general, while the staff is very nice and accommodating, the actual rooms (both of the ones I was in were already renovated) aren't very high quality. The sink design causes it to back up so there's always residue left. The new bathroom doors provide little privacy and don't work well. The pvc pipes are exposed under the sink. The towels are not kept across the room from the shower so if you forget to put one near the shower you are forced to get water all over the bathroom.

And on top of all of this, the last night there I rolled my desk chair towards the desk and the plastic wheel snapped off. The brand new chair.

Staff is nice. Rooms are not. Location is good.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that's not near the service elevator if you're a light sleeper. You can hear...
4 Thank KateAlexis
Kate,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. Our goal is to provide superior service and accommodations to each and every guest that stays with us. All of the staff takes great pride in knowing that their hard work and dedication is making a difference to our guests, and I appreciate you recognizing the impact that they had on your visit. As you have pointed out, we have recently refreshed all of our guest rooms. I apologize that they were not to the high level that you should expect of us. Please know that we are continuing to refine the guest room experience through your feedback. We do hope to have a chance to welcome you back so we can provide the flawless experience you deserve. Please reach out to me directly so I have a chance to follow up on your concerns.
New York City, United States
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Both the room and the public spaces are very wlecoming, as is the staff. I felt cared for and attended to. Never having been to Harrisburg before, I was startled to find such a fine establishment. I wish I'd had the time, and the bathing suit, to use the indoor pool and the fitness center. From my 11th-floor room, I had spectacular views of the Susquehanna River.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at Hilton Harrisburg, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Elizabeth,
Thank you very much for sharing your wonderful experience at our hotel with us. We strive to provide the best possible service and guest experiences every day, and it’s always great to hear from our guests on how we’re doing. Thank you for taking the time to share your positive comments with us and your fellow travelers. We can’t wait to welcome you back so you can enjoy the pool.
Reviewed 12 April 2014

The Harrisburg Hilton is very well located in the heart of town. Hotel has just had the rooms updated and redecorated, lobby and restaurants are about to also be updated, so there may be some disruption in the near future.

1 Thank nickvandekar
Nick Vanderker,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your most recent stay at our hotel. We strive to provide the best possible service and guest experiences every day, and it’s always great to hear from our guests on how we’re doing. We will be updating our other areas of the hotel and are striving to insure that it has no impact on our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.