“This property does not live up to Hilton Standards”
Review of Hilton Harrisburg

Hilton Harrisburg
Ranked #7 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Reston
“This property does not live up to Hilton Standards”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

The location and room are very good - but the small stuff, like replenishing water, Kleenex, shampoo and the sorts is very hit and miss (I stay 4 nights a week for the past 6 months plus). The Executive lounge is frequently out of hot food (both for breakfast and early evening) and cleanup in the evenings is also hit and miss (sometime very good - and sometimes completely ignored for long periods of time (20 to 30 minutes)).

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

2 Thank Bill_and_Nives
Phillip N, Manager at Hilton Harrisburg, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Good morning and Welcome Back!,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us regarding your most recent stay. At Hilton, we always aim to ensure every guest feels cared for, valued and respected. We truly value your input and very much rely on you, our guest, to help us improve our hotel operation. I would like to truly apologize for the issues you had during your stay. We strive to exceed the expectations of every guest who stays with us, and regretfully in your case, we failed to meet that criteria. Your willingness to share your thoughts with us is genuinely appreciated. Our Front Office Manager, Mr Hess, has left a message on your hotel phone so that we may follow up with you regarding your comments.
Phillip Neiswender
Rooms Division Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Arabic first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 30 June 2014

The Hilton Harrisburg was a pleasant surprise. The property is within good walking distance of anything downtown, the property was very clean and in good shape, the rooms spacious and nicely decorated. The overall standard was high. Great, really helpful staff. I had no real expecations but this property was really good. I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank RolloX24
Denver
Reviewed 28 June 2014

great location near a vegan restaurant and the riverfront. perfect in every way. real customer service where employees seemed to take genuine pleasure making guests satisfied. we had no idea the city was so pretty--and the Hilton was close to walking trails and historic buildings.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

The Hilton is located at the perimeter of the downtown area and easily found when entering the city from I-83. City Island, Whitaker Center, Riverfront Park, Amtrak, and bus terminal are all within a short walk. During the festival season, this location would also be ideal. The private lounge/bar and outdoor seating/drinking area offer a nice retreat from the noisy bars and other nuisances. I enjoyed my stay here and would return.

Tips
- avoid the numerous bars in Second Street if you want a proper meal, check out the smaller restaurants for better food and head to Second Street for drinks.
- ask the concierge to call a petal cab to get you to your destination and offer a great way to see the city. Ask the pedal cab operator to take you over the walking bridge to city island at night.
- numerous parking garages in very close proximity to hotel.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CELapadat
New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I spent one night here when I was in Harrisburg on business. The hotel is extremely well located and I would stay there again if I to be in downtown Harrisburg on business. Travelers will also be able to benefit from a major refurbishment. Unfortunately, when I visited the hotel was under renovation on certain floors and that created issues. I was first given a key for the sixth floor but when the elevator opened, there was a ladder directly over the elevator and a workman hanging paper on the wall over the elevator door. Peering out from the elevator, I saw plastic covering the hallway floors and some other workers painting trim. I went back to the front desk and was given a key to another floor. I went to my room which was very large with a couch and a beautiful view to the river but the room was shaking and there was a drilling sound overhead. I went back down to the front desk and was told that the construction was to end by 6 pm although it was already after 6:30 pm. I went back to my room and the drilling continued. Some time later, I went to the floor above and to the room above mine. The door was ajar and there were workers, including one drilling... At this point, it was 8 pm. I went to the front desk for a third time and was given a third room. It was small, near the elevator and across the hall from the ice maker which was making very loud, groaning noises. When I returned the key to the second room to the front desk I mentioned that I thought there was a problem with the ice maker. After all of this, I was given a coupon to the hotel cafe where I went and when I returned to my room after dinner, the ice maker was quiet, apparently having been adjusted in the interim. I don't think too much about having been given a room in the middle of a construction zone and was glad that there was at least another room to be given when I complained. I would have been very unhappy if there had not been. That being said, I think that the hotel will be lovely when the renovations are all done. One caution- be sure to use the GPS friendly address of 200 Market Street and not the One North Second Street mailing address. I wasn't aware of the recommendation and my GPS took me to One North Second Street in an adjacent municipality that most definitely was NOT hospitable. Also, generally food in hotel restaurants isn't more than passable but the food was actually quite good and the service was excellent. Thank you.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank AnAnthropologist
Carolina Beach, North Carolina
Reviewed 24 June 2014

My husband and I stayed on the 15th floor over Father's Day weekend. The view from our corner room was absolutely beautiful. The executive level was the only place we wanted to stay since we wanted a weekend sans children.
The number of children in the pool is a different story, however, there were many guests present for a soccer tournament so that's to be expected.
All in all, a great stay with no issues. The only recommendation I have is that upon check in you be informed of details regarding the Executive level as well as the hours/amenities of the concierge lounge. Since this was our first stay at this particular Hilton, we weren't familiar with everything.

• Stayed June 2014
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I stay here, on average, once/month. The staff is terrific. I once arrived for a 3 day stay and found I'd forgotten my phone charger. BIG problem for me, from a business standpoint. When I asked where the nearest Verizon store was, the gentleman at the front desk lent me his personal phone charger for my stay! Who does that?! I've tried contacting the management a few times to commend him, but can't get them on the phone.

The rooms are always spotless. The beds are very comfortable. Always plenty of toiletries.

The hotel restaurants are pretty good, but can get a bit pricey (typical of most hotels). There are plenty of good places to eat within a few blocks. Italian (Zia's Red Door), American/seafood (Stocks on 2nd), Asian Fusion (La Trattoria?). There's even a piano bar near by.

Tip: this hotel is frequently booked solid, and the rates will rise accordingly. Reserve your room as soon as possible.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at Hilton Harrisburg, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dawn,
We very much appreciate your loyalty. We certainly do strive to provide all of our guests with the level of service that you describe. If you contact me directly I will ensure that the associate who went out of his way to lend you his phone charger is recognized. I look forward to continuing to welcome you back.
Enjoy today!