“beware”

Howard Johnson Inn Harrisburg
Ranked #44 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Reviewed 29 August 2011

Never would recommend this dump not even to my worst enemy!

1  Thank tinytots_8
There are newer reviews for Howard Johnson Inn Harrisburg

Reviewed 25 August 2011

the room was loaded with bedbugs. i will not go back to this hotel again. so many hotels in hersey park have bed bugs and this is one of them

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
HoJoHbg-Hershey, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Inn Harrisburg, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2011

We take all reports about insects seriously. We have an extensive pest control program. We immediately have our rooms checked by professionals whenever there is a concern. Over the past several years, we have very, very few incidents involving bed begs.

Reviewed 21 August 2011

Check in: Checked in at 2:50pm (10 minutes prior to check-in time) and was met by the receptionist. Receptionist was extremely friendly and made it seem as if she had been expecting us. She very quickly gave us our room keys, coupons for 20% off entrees at the Lancaster Brewing Company (which is next to the hotel...) and even offered us tips on good meals there. I asked her where I could buy milk for my twin infants and she told me not to buy milk, and that when needed, to come to the front desk and they would supply us with some. (I thought this was so nice!). Microwaves and Fridges are only available in certain rooms, so she told us that if there was no fridge to come back to the lobby and they would get us one. She also gave us a typed up sheet with very easy directions to Hershey Park and warned us that using a GPS could take us out of the way. I was extremely pleased with check-in.

Room: Clean, with fridge and microwave. Had a balcony overlooking the pool area. (for some reason our balcony did not have any chairs, but some did...) Flat screen TV, working safe, 2 Queen beds and a table and chairs, Iron and ironing board, and coffee maker. Beds were very comfortable and shower pressure and hot water supply was good. Toilet was clogged upon arrival and it took a bit before someone came to fix it, but the man who came was very nice. 2 sinks, but one was clogged as well, but fixed upon arrival. We stayed 2 nights and only had a problem with the plumbing at check-in. They worked fine for the rest of our trip. Air conditioner worked well, the room stayed nice and cool. However, it kept turning on for like a second and then off for a few minutes during the night. Then it would turn on for a couple minutes again...etc. It was a bit distracting; I'm assuming it turns on when the room doesn't hit the desired temperature, but sometimes it would click on for just a second.

Breakfast: The most disappointing part of the hotel. I had twin 1 year olds, and there was no high chair available for them in the breakfast room. I know it is not a restaurant, but I was expecting at least 1 high chair or something. After all, don't families with young children visit their establishment? My husband and I had to hold the babies on our lap and help our 4 year old get food, which wasn't easy to do with squirming babies. Breakfast did not have any fruit (I was hoping for at least bananas), but only donuts, bagels, cereal, danishes, and waffles (but the waffle line was so long, that we didn't even bother trying to get one.) They also had milk, orange juice, and coffee. The man running the breakfast was working like crazy trying to keep everything filled. He did a nice job.

Building: I didn't see any mess. It seemed like it was okay to me. There is a computer room with internet on first floor, but I didn't try it. No elevator, and while I didn't try the pool, it seemed nice from our room's view. My room key stopped working about an hour before check-out, so I had to get an employee to let me back into the room to get something. The ceilings of some of the balconies seemed to be run down, but then others seemed fine. Parking lot was clean and spacious.

Locations: Hotel was easy to find. It was about 18 minutes from Hershey Park (but we experienced some traffic on the way there in the morning, so if you are going there make time for some AM traffic. Loved the Lancaster Brewing company on the premises. The food was good and service was great there too. Overall a great location and a cheaper alternative than staying in Hershey.

Best part of the hotel is the customer service. Everyone I talked to were some of the nicest people ever! They definitely have a staff that knows how to work with the public. Worst part is the plumbing and breakfast.

I would stay there again and recommend the hotel because it was a good price and the staff was extra friendly.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
HoJoHbg-Hershey, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Inn Harrisburg, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2011

We appreciate you taking the time to write about your experience at our hotel. We passed along your kind comments to our staff. We usually do have fresh fruit like bananas and apples at breakfast, however, there were a few days when we ran out. We will make sure we do a better job of having fruit there at all times. I understand your challange with feeding your young children without a high chair. We will be purchasing a few high chairs to have available in our breakfast room. We look forward to having you stay with us again the next time you visit Hersheypark or the Harrisburg area.

Reviewed 19 August 2011

Place is in need of major heavy duty cleaning. The room was passable, at best. Beds were pretty clean. I didn't see any bugs in the room. Pool was nice and clean. Corridors were horrible, stairwells filthy. Place has potential if they clean it up.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. During this busy summer season, we have been focusing on our rooms and pool area. We will be increasing our cleaning schedule on our hallways and stairwells and checking them more thoroughly.

Reviewed 4 August 2011

We stayed in this Hotel for 3 nights. When we arrived at 2:55 pm we were fisrt told that no room was ready, nd that check in was at 3 pm. When they checked the clock, they said they would try to get us a room, as if that would be a huge favor.

Our room was on the first floor, with no elevator and no help to get the luggage up. The room did not have a microwave or a refrigerator as advertised. Also there was no free Wi-fi as advertised when I booked.

The towels were very unclean, I found at least 5 long black hairs in one towel when trying to use it. After that I chose not to use the towels anymore.
The bed was made, but they were not clean, there were huge stains on the bedding.
After this I didn't even want to try the pool and even less breakfast.
I have nerver ever stayed at a Howard Johnson this bad.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
HoJoHbg-Hershey, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Inn Harrisburg, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2011

I apologize for the condition of your towels and bedding. I have passed your experience along to our housekeeping staff. That is not the condition we expect our linens to be in. Our hotel has only two floors and we do not have elevators. If we have availablity, we give our guests a room on the first floor, if they request it. We are an economy/mid-level hotel and do not have a bellperson to assist with luggage, however, a staff member will help a guest that needs assistance with their luggage. We do have complimentary wireless, high speed, internet access by receiving a code from the front desk. Our internet access strength can flucuate for a variety of reasons, but for the vast majority of the time it is excellent. There may a be very few rooms that do not have a refrigerator or microwave, but we will get them for a guest that needs them.

Reviewed 3 August 2011

I was really disappointed with this Howard Johnson. I have stayed in HOJOs for over 50 years and never ran into a situation like this. We arrived on Sunday July 31. Check in was fine – no problem. I checked in at about 3:30pm and was told there were no towels in the room but they would arrive shortly. The housekeeper arrived a short time later and just handed me the towels and did not placed them on the towel rack. Additionally, the refrigerator did not work as the dial was broken off. That was replaced in short order. The safe in the room was not left open by the previous guest and I asked that someone come and open it so I could put in a new combination and make use of it. That never happened.
Apparently some guests stay for longer periods of time in that about 5 rooms from ours, there were a group of people partying outside of their rooms up until sometime 1 to 1:30am, talking loud, drinking and also collecting chairs from other units outside the sliding glass doors to bring down to their party location
We went to Hershey Park on Monday. Upon our return, we found the room had been made up, trash emptied, towels replace (but not hung on the towel racks) and a quick vacuuming had occurred. On Tuesday, we again went to the Park and upon our return in the evening we found the room to be in the same condition as when we left that morning; beds were not made up, trash still there, towels still on the floor and of course NO vacuuming. Upon closer inspection, It appeared that the vacuuming was done in a hurry and there were animal cookies under the bed along with other indications that vacuuming never occurs under the beds. The dresser drawers apparently were never cleaned either as I found remnants of popcorn in two of them. I called the desk and they suggested I must have left the Do Not Disturb sign on the door which I did not. Even if that was the case, as occurs in other hotels, the housekeeper would knock on the door to see if anyone was in the room and possibly left the sign out by mistake. The excuse given by the young lady at the desk was that the hotel was trying to “go green”, which is absurd. Even if that was true, that has nothing to do with making up the beds, emptying and removing the trash and vacuuming. This is inexcusable! I was never informed on check in that if I stayed for 3 nights, there would be no room makeup/cleanup.
I have never experienced this in any hotel before much less in any Howard Johnson’s. Either additional staff needs to be hired or some on the current staff need to be retrained or replaced. I almost get the impression that because I booked through Travelocity and received a good rate that they don’t like the fact that I paid less than their usual rate. Sorry for the review, but my reviews are the results of what I have experienced.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
HoJoHbg-Hershey, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Inn Harrisburg, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2011

I apologize for falling short in the standards we set for our guests and ourselves. Per our standards, your room should have been cleaned during your entire stay regardless of how long you stayed or how you made your reservation. We will address your experience with our staff so we can eliminate this problem in the future. Thank you for taking the time to let us know your experience.

Reviewed 29 July 2011

Quiet, friendly, clean with very nice breakfast and pool! Staff went above and beyond to welcome us.

Room Tip: Ground floor has sliders to parking area. Easy to get luggage in and out.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family