“Absolutely the worst ever”

Howard Johnson Inn Harrisburg
Ranked #45 of 51 Hotels in Harrisburg
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Checked in and all looked fine. Found that threre was no coffee pot so called housekeeping to get one. Also found no remote to the TV and while looking found a half eaten pizza in the dresser drawer and shoes under the bed. Saw cobwebs hanging from the ceiling and dirt and crunms all around on the floor. When housekeeping brought the coffee pot and remote i had to program the remote myself. Got up the next morning to take a shower and found two used washcloths hanging in between the shower curtain. Tub barely drained had about four inches of water standing in the tub while showering. By far the worst hotel room i have ever stayed in.

Room Tip: Do not stay at this hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 December 2011

Tammy at the front desk was very helpful! Everything was great!

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed 6 December 2011

I was filling in for a collegue of mine on business in the Harrisburg area and decided to give the Howard Johnson a try due to the location of the motel. It was convienently located to the Turnpike and I-83. Yes, the place could use some upgrades, but other than that the room was fine, staff was very knowledgable, and the price was great. I would recommend it to any business travelers! Also, recommend eating at Leeds which is close to this motel!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 November 2011

Inexpensive to stay, the free internet is on limited bandwidth, and of course the bedbugs. Yes I got what I paid for and more.

• Stayed: November 2011
2  Thank Roadtech1
HoJoHbg-Hershey, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Inn Harrisburg, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2011

Thank you for letting us know about your stay. We take any concerns about bed bugs seriously. Our pest control company was unable to find anything. I have contacted guest about getting more information as we have had no other questions about bedbugs, but have not heard back.

Reviewed 20 October 2011

We walked into the building our room was located in and besides it being very dimly lit, it smelled musty. Like the smell of a unfinished basement. Then walking into our room at about 11:30 p.m. from visiting hershey park, the toilet was running and making a load noise, so we called the front desk to report it. So while we are waiting for them to come fix the problem i see this huge smooshed bug on the floor of the bathroom and another dead bug on the floor by one of our beds. I pulled back the sheets and there were stains on the pillow cases and the fitted sheets.

So when the front desk guy finally got to our room we asked him about the bug and he said oh its just a centipead...it must have gotten in through the back sliding door. Mmm thats intresting..so it got in the room and smooshed itself onto the bathroom floor?...intresting... Then we asked him about the dirty sheets on the bed. He then "corrected" me and said...no those sheets are clean they just have stains on them ( im not kidding you ) So i said oh really , so its ok to put stained sheets on the bed you have customers sleeping on? Well if i was home and my own sheets were stained, id throw them away and buy myself new sheets, how is this acceptable? So with that after arguing that she sheets are clean just stained, he went and retrieved us new clean linen which he handed me to place on the bed myself! Its really scarry that this is the same person who greets you and arranges your stay there. So in short I would never go there again and would not reccomend this place to anyone. Its Disgusting.

Room Tip: Its dirty and disgusting...the end.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank num1chula1
Reviewed 6 September 2011

This hotel is ready to be put down. It's just old and tired. There are only so many times you can repaint before it can't be fresh anymore. The hotel is good if you just need a bed for the night really cheap. The staff at check in were very pleasant and helpful. Free internet is provided but the building we were in had no signal at all.One upside was that the breakfast was fine. They have waffle makers, doughnuts, cereal, and juice. I didn't see any fruit. Plenty of free parking close to the rooms. This hotel is 10 minutes from Hershey Park. They have good directions if you ask at the front desk.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Pete7919
HoJoHbg-Hershey, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Inn Harrisburg, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2011

We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. We have passed your comments on to our staff. We will address the details that fell through the cracks during your stay.

Reviewed 5 September 2011

Me and my fiance decided to go to hershey park for the weekend. The hotels there were horribly over priced. I saw this place online and thought hey let's give it a try. Saw some good and bad reviews and thought u can't make everyone happy so we gave it a shot. It was better then what I expected and only took us like ten minutes to get the hershey park we even went both days. The rooms were clean the sheets bland pillows were clean and I saw no type of bugs in our room stated by some other travelors. Only bad thing I can say is we came back around 6pm from the park and no one even touched our room but my fiance asked housekeeping for towels and they gave us a big pile and she asked if we needed anything else. We did not have shampoo it anything in our rm either but we brought our own anyways. Forgot our suits so we didn't use the pool but it looked warm inviting and clean. Would definately come back again!!!

• Stayed: September 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your experience at our hotel. I apologize for your room not being cleaned. Sometimes the "Do Not Disturb" signs are inadvertantly left on the door and our staff skips the room. We are reviewing your situation with our housekeeping staff so that can eliminate that problem.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Harrisburg
Econo Lodge Harrisburg
#35 of 51 in Harrisburg
La Quinta Inn & Suites Harrisburg Airport Hershey
Ramada Harrisburg/Hershey Area
Days Inn New Cumberland/Harrisburg South
Days Inn New Cumberland/Harrisbu...
#10 of 14 in New Cumberland

Been to Howard Johnson Inn Harrisburg? Share your experiences!