“NNNNAAASSSSTTTTTTYYYYYYY!”

Howard Johnson Inn Harrisburg
Ranked #44 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
West Chester, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 June 2012

The facility is updated and clean. The staff have always been accommodating. I highly recommend this hotel. We use it for our annual cyber charter school day at the state Capitol

Pat Parris

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
HoJoHbg-Hershey, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Inn Harrisburg, responded to this review, 23 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed your experience at our hotel. We look forward to providing accommodations for your group the next time you are in the Harrisburg area.
Reviewed 3 June 2012

Outside was very intimidating, mostly due to the crowd it draws, old paint job, and the motel-style. Once you get inside the room, it proves sufficient: fairly clean, but everything was old. Service was also sufficient: they explained a couple of issues we had and were fairly friendly. Breakfast was decent: make your own waffles, cereal, bagels, doughnuts, milk and juice. We had a couple of issues with the seemingly paper-thin walls and outbursts at obscene hours. Overall, you get what you pay for.

• Stayed June 2012
HoJoHbg-Hershey, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Inn Harrisburg, responded to this review, 7 June 2012
Thank you for being our guest. We appreciate you taking the time to review your experience at our hotel. Please come and visit us again the next time you are in the Harrisburg/Hershey area. We would love to have you back.
Michigan
Reviewed 27 May 2012

Leery after reading some of the reviews?? Well here is the truth...

Location...a good location close to expressway.

The hotel lobby is small but the staff are friendly. Have questions, they will be pleased to answer.

The parking lot...seemed ok to me. Find your unit number and park out front.

The room...it wasn't smelly! I didn't turn on the light and see bugs scatter! It was a big room with a a big king size bed, a table with two chairs and a desk with a chair. The furniture its out dated...does it matter to me? No. The TV worked, some channels were fuzzy but who cares I wasn't there to watch tv. The bed was fine. The pillows were fine. I of course took the blanket off the bed, everyone knows not to use those no matter what hotel. I did NOT wake up with bed bug bites all over me! I took extra precaution and shook out the sheets and pillows to make sure no creepy crawlers were in bed with me. The room was vacuumed and tidy. No cobwebs.

The bathroom...the bathtub was clean, the shower worked fine, the counters were fine. There was a little tiny bug on the wall, do we all get bugs once in a while in our bathrooms??? Yes we do. Was it infested? No. Did not see anymore!

Breakfast is offered and was fine.They had donuts, bagels, cereal, juice, waffles...A typical hotel breakfast.

The pool..a decent pool. They have a shallow kids pool but it wasn't filled, The regular pool was fine...it was clean and they had chairs out...no towels though.

The room is outdated but do-able. I wasn't at the Ritz. It is a cheap budget motel that offers somewhere to sleep and clean up before you leave all day to do what you came to the town to do.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank elizabethw001
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at our hotel. We have passed your comments onto our staff so we can improve on the areas of concern. Please stop by and see us again the next time you are in the Harrisburg/Hershey area.
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2012

My husband and I stayed the night here on May 19th to spend time with his mother and aunt who were here from Florida and Ireland for the weekend. If we'd had any chance of getting our money back and staying elsewhere, we would have left right away, but everything in the area was booked due to two expos in Harrisburg. The reception area is nice and clean, staff wasn't very pleasant though. We got to the room and it was terribly outdated, the carpets and walls had stains and damage. The room wasn't vacuumed well at all. The bathroom quite frankly smelled as though someone had recently used it, and the toilet was not cleaned thoroughly. The bathroom floor was dirty and had pubic hairs laying around that did not belong to either of us. The shower looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a while and the caulking was peeling and stained. The walls are paper thin, spent the night listening to the people next door's cell phone ringing. The mini fridge was nasty, mold and filth caked around the door seal and shelves. Was scared to open the patio door because of the amount of spiders and bugs crawling around it. Slept for only a few hours, woke up early just wanting to get out of there. I woke up with bug bites all over me, and spent the rest of the day sick at my stomach with hot and cold spells like I'd caught a virus, so we ended up not spending near as much time with his mom and aunt as we had planned. It was disgusting, and if I could give zero points in the rating bar, I would. Do not waste your money here. It was absolutely horrible, and I will never stay at a Howard Johnson again.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here to begin with. The Super 8 on Allentown Blvd is better than this.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group

HoJoHbg-Hershey, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Inn Harrisburg, responded to this review, 23 May 2012
I am sorry to hear about your recent stay with us. I apologize for the condition of your room. That is not the standards we set for ourselves and our guests. That room was not ready for a guest to check in. I appreciate you following up to my questions about your room number so that we can find out where the breakdown was and address this situation.
Irwin
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Arriving after midnight, and 3 things going on in the area, the clerk was nice and made us feel welcome. There were kids running around, and to please let her know, if they were bothering us. She did take care of the kids, then things were quiet. The room was clean. There is a breakfast, which was good. I asked for directions, and there was no problem.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Boyds, Maryland, United States
Reviewed 16 April 2012

A group of 26 guys were going to the area for a tournament, and since we'd stayed here a few years ago, we thought we'd try it again. Last experience was pretty good, as we all had first floor rooms in a building close to the registration area. At that time, the rooms struck us as clean, and the added benefit of all of us having connecting first floor rooms meant that, at night, we'd all just open our patio doors and the group could hang outside or mingle from room to room. Tris time, we all got second-floor rooms in a building separate from the main part of the hotel, about as far from the registration area as possible, and this experience was less than pleasing.

Check-in was OK, as the people were pleasant. But, it took a lot longer than it needed since the two workers got into an argument about the prior person's room rate, and after looking at me standing there listening to their fight for a few minutes, finally one said "I'm sure this man would like to be checked in and not have to listen to us." Yes, you are correct. Thank you.

The price was good for hotels in the area, as we paid $130 for two nights. Splitting that between two people made it a really inexpensive stay. But, there is a reason why it was inexpensive. while the rooms are spacious, and the beds/pillows seemed comfy, the building we were in was gross. I'm not sure our room had been vacuumed this month, or even had trash cleaned up. The bathroom had hair all over the place, and there was black mold on the ceiling.

One of my friends woke up and put on his shoe, only to feel something moving under his foot. A 2-inch millipede was in his shoe. And, while that could probably happen anywhere, the pictures he took of the various bugs he found throughout his stay demonstrate it wasn't a one-time event. And, some of these bugs looked to be from the Jurassic Period. Big, gross, with lots of legs.

Another person had left his shorts on the bed that he slept in. Upon his return to the room one night, there was a note on his bed that said, "I didn't make your bed because there were personal effects on it. I just don't do that." If some shorts bother the cleaning crew, it's no wonder there is hair and mold everywhere.

There were people tailgating out of their pickups in the parking lot during the middle of a Saturday. Kegs, whiskey bottles, and who knows what else was happening. I do know that the police showed up to another room one night due to some drug deals happening out of the room. The walls of this hotel are so thin, so you can hear every conversation, making it real easy to figure out what the police are around!

And, to be honest, unless you plan to be playing golf at Dauphin Highlands course, there are plenty of other hotel options in the area that are closer to the main attractions. I would chose to stay elsewhere in the future.

Room Tip: Definitely don't stay in the rear, detached building.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
HoJoHbg-Hershey, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Inn Harrisburg, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
We appreciate you takng the time to review our hotel. We apologize that your room was not up to the standards we set for ourselves or our guests. We have passed along your comments to the departments that are responsible, so we can correct the problems that you experienced.