“Clean room, good value!”

Howard Johnson Inn Harrisburg
Ranked #44 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Long Island,NY
“Clean room, good value!”
Reviewed 28 August 2008

We are members of wyndham rewards and I booked through their website. The room was clean, comfortable, and included coffee maker, ironing board, and even mini refrig. and microwave,
The inside hallways are a little stale smelling but doors are new with smartcard locks. The AC unit has good controls and not any noiser than others. There is an extra sink outside the bathroom. The continental breakfast included bagels, english muffins, cereals, oatmeal, donuts, danishes, juice, coffee and tea and they refilled it continously. No hot waffles, but overall I think a good value for a place too stay and have breakfast before hitting Hershey Park or wherever you're going. The front desk was fine and they will take off the daily roomsafe charge if you don't use it and let them know.

• Liked — room size and amenities
  • Disliked — beds not the most comfortable but slept well
  • Stayed August 2008
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Northeast USA
Reviewed 24 July 2008

The Howard Johnson in Harrisburg isn't too impressive from the road, but it is clean, and easy on the pocketbook. It was $79 a night and obviously popular with bargain-hunting families with children. Our room was roomy and very clean, the bed was comfy and the shower was hot. It is easily accessible and near the airport. It is also just down the road from a nice mall with a huge Bass Pro Shop, Macys, Boscovs etc. and very near the great food of the Capitol Diner.

• Liked — value
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
Lynchburg, Va
Reviewed 7 December 2007

I reserved a room at this hotel for approximatly 1 month from mid October to Mid November 2007. I gave them my credit card number to guarentee the room for late arival. On the morning I was scheduled to arrive, I contacted the hotel to cancel my reservation. I informed them that I was cancelling the reservation but let them know that a co-worker was interested in picking up the room and would contact them by phone.
I then shared a room at this hotel with another one of my co-workers in order to split the costs. The room I stayed in was reserved in this co-workers name using his credit card to pay the entire bill.
When I returned home I discovered that the hotel had charged my credit card $1388.66 for a completly different room. Upon contacting the hotel manager to resolve the issue, he became very rude and sarchastic and told me I would have to resolve it through my credit card company.
Around the same date that this charge hit my credit card, there were additional charges from different areas of the country ,that were not mine, charged to my credit card. After speaking to someone else who stayed at this hotel at the same time, I was suprised to learn that he too had been hit up by multiple charges to his credit card that were not his. This was on the same card that he used to pay his bill at the Howard Johnsons. Although this may be a coincidence,, it makes me wonder how our credit card numbers got out to other individuals.

• Stayed October 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank NuclearTraveler
Northport, NY
Reviewed 10 September 2007

I was shopping around for a hotel and a good price, I found this Howard Johnson which was only 10 minutes from the park. I was so excited. I read some reviews and became very nervous that this hotel may be dirty, and just not good. However... NOT AT ALL.... the hotel was clean - the VALUE FOR YOUR MONEY WAS ABOVE AND BEYOND!!! The customer service of all the staff was really appreciated. For such a cheap price, they also give you a continential breakfast. The room was clean and everyone was really most accomdating. It is a HOJO, however, I would def stay there again when I go to the park. I was quite happy!!! Do NOT listen to those bad reviews!! :-) It exceeded my expectations!! Thanks!

• Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kkerbear18
new york
Reviewed 27 August 2007

This hotel is a great choice if you are looking for a value hotel near Hershey Park. The rooms are clean and the pool looked nice. The staff was very helpful. We spent all day in the park and only showered and slept at the hotel but the time that we were there exceeded my expectations of a value hotel. The complimentary continental breakfast was nice. There was a huge selection of donuts, danish and bagels and the coffee was excellent. The staff kept the food coming. I went into the breakfast area 15 minutes before the shut down and there was so much to choose from. The hotel is also located in close proximity to quite a few good restaurants including a Waffle House which we went to one morning. We had a great experience and I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Cleanliness of the room
  • Disliked — N/A
1 Thank rjrp
New York
Reviewed 26 August 2007

My wife and I booked this hotel for a four day vacation, where we would spend most of the time at Hershey Park, PA. The hotel is a reasonable distance to this attraction, and it was easy to find. However, …
- The entrance to the building clearly smelled of smoke.
- The toilet over-flowed, and we had to switch rooms.
- The rooms are not well sound-proofed. Up until approximately midnight, we heard a crying baby in the room next to us, and loud noises such as doors closing or children in the hall.
- The bathroom door did not easily close.
- The beds were horrible (extremely firm). Neither my wife, or my daughter, or myself slept much more than a few hours that night.
- The continental breakfast was held in two large rooms, was very noisy, and had a very poor selection of food (we decided to go elsewhere).

We were so displeased, that we contacted hotels.com to switch hotels.

• Liked — Not too far from hershey Park
  • Disliked — Beds
2 Thank drummer1018
Fulton, New York
Reviewed 25 August 2007

We stayed just 1 night in this dump, after planning a last minute vacation w/ family to Hershey Park. The motel is out-dated and literally duct taped together - the stair railing to our room floor was taped up! Inside our room, the ceiling was stained and falling down, the beds were like rocks, and there was hair (and I don't mean from your head) on the bathroom floor/tub area. Very disgusting. As it was late, we did stay the first night, however promptly checked out in the AM, expressing our displeasure to a manager. It was relatively close to Hershey Park, but so are tens of other and much cleaner places to stay.

• Liked — it had a roof that kept out the rain
  • Disliked — dirty bathroom, run down rooms
1 Thank doodles4