Howard Johnson Inn Harrisburg
Staybridge.com
US$75
US$196
Hotwire.com
Sleep Inn & Suites(Harrisburg)
US$110
US$89
SleepInn
All reviewsroom was largebeds were comfortablehousekeepercouponhighway
Reviewed 6 June 2014

This hotel is no frills, and really a basic hotel, however, it is well maintained and fairly clean. I would say the bathrooms could be kept a little cleaner, but otherwise, a good deal for the price. Linens on the beds are basic but appeared and smelled clean and fresh. The beds were comfortable. The pillows could use some variety in the densities/firmness provided, and an extra blanket would be nice.

The biggest negative about the room was the old style, wall mounted heat / AC unit. It was quite noisy and if not kept on high setting (which made the room quite cool) the compressor unit was very noisy/disturbing each time the unit turned back on. I kept it running on high during most of the night because I could not tolerate the abrupt change in the noise level each time it cycled on.

Continental breakfast was quite adequate for a hotel within this price category, with tea/coffee/juices, cereal, a waffle maker, some fresh fruit and bakery items. The pool appeared clean (from a distance) but the kiddie pool was empty and perhaps awaiting painting/repair.

For the money spent, if you do not require a "fancy" hotel, and you want to be near MDT (Harrisburg International) this is a good deal. The management had no problem with us leaving a car for 3 weeks at their property for no extra charge, and I felt that the car was safe there. H/Jo's provided shuttle service to the airport for free, but their shuttle service is quite limited and there currently is no evening shuttle service. It costs us $23 for the return taxi ride (not including a tip) from MDT to H/Jo's.

Front desk personnel and management are the high point of this H/Jo's. They are personable, friendly, and the manager (John?? - sorry, not certain of his name) is responsive to both e/mails and calls.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
HoJoHbg-Hershey, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Harrisburg, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time in giving us feedback. We strive to give our guest excellent value for price paid. In your case we suceeded. We are taking all your observations and experiences seriously and work to even do better during your next stay. All of us here at the Howard Johnson-Harrisburg look forward to serving you again soon.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

DO NOT USE THIS HOTEL! I should have heeded the warnings I saw on Hotel.com for this hotel, but thought I would give it a chance since it was just for one night before we had to fly out in the morning. Here's what's good: relatively close to highway leading to airport, has a gym and pool. Here's what I didn't like: Staff either very unhelpful or very uninformed about their hotel and area. Check in no earlier than 3:00 pm, but no shuttle after 3 pm to get you to or from hotel. (was told I would have to call a cab). Counter folk didn't seem to care! Nowhere could I find their shuttle hours when booking my reservation on line, so why would I expect for it to end so early; Bugs in room-within minutes of entering room my son had spider crawl up leg, another bug crawling up his leg, and another one crawling on the bed. Saw spiderwebs in between bed and nightstand. Shuttle starts at 5:15 in morning, but breakfast doesn't until 6:00 am. Hotel not really clean or up kept. Very disappointed. I had already paid for hotel on Hotel.com and turned in my rental car, so I couldn't cancel and go somewhere else, or I WOULD HAVE! Have definitely stayed at much nicer for the price! Don't go here!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
HoJoHbg-Hershey, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Harrisburg, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

I apologize that you had a disappointing stay with us. Our Van was in for Maintenance. However, that isnt your concern. We should of taken steps to accomodate you. Our normal procedure is to reimburse the guest for the cab. If you contact the hotel I would be glad to reimburse you. In addition, the other items will be dealt with swiftly. I hope we get the opportunity to win back your trust.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 29 May 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
HoJoHbg-Hershey, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Harrisburg, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Reviewed 28 May 2014