“Family vacation”

Howard Johnson Inn Harrisburg
Ranked #44 of 51 Hotels in Harrisburg
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with my family.We came for about a week so our little girls can have some fun at Hershey park.We did enjoy our stay our room was always kept nice and clean our housekeeper would always set our girls bed up with there dolls and blankets so nice if I remember correctly our housekeepers name was cathy but she told us to call her shorty she was very nice to us and our girls

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Frankiegrant
HoJoHbg-Hershey, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Harrisburg, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

We are glad you enjoyed your stay at the Howard Johnson-Harrisbug. We will celebrate your kind words about Catherine (shorty) at our next staff meeting. We look forward to serving you again real soon.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Room was very clean and spacious. Room had sliding door to the outside (great to let fresh air in). Breakfast was decent (waffle maker, fresh fruit, bagels, cereal, etc). Hallways to room need updating. Better than the Econo lodge and Super 8 near by.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Tony B
HoJoHbg-Hershey, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Harrisburg, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we did during your stay. Our number one goal for each guest is that they leave here thinking they received a great value. All of us here at the Howard Johnson-Harrisburg look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

I booked a room at this hotel at a great price... room was ok but didn't matter because all we needed was to sleep in it. However, service was great the people are welcoming and very knowledgeable about the area. I want to mention one person above the rest who greeted us with a smile and kindness every day of our stay, TANYA. TANYA our girl showed us respect , courtesy and made sure we had everything we needed for our stay. TANYA you were great. the next time we stay we will make sure to stay in your section. Good job Howard Johnson you picked a winner!!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bernadette C
HoJoHbg-Hershey, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Harrisburg, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we did. Your compliments of our excellent customer service especially Tanya was appreciated. We will celebrate Tanya and our next staff meeting. All of us here at the Howard Johnson Harrisburg look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

I booked this stay on Priceline and they gave it a two star rating. It was the most runner down place I have ever stayed. Stains on the walls, peeling wallpaper, rips in the bed sheets, ceiling was falling in, and more unkept, unclean, unmantained. I should have known by the low price.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Fejery

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we did during your stay. We definitely fell short of your expectaions and apologize. We take your commets seriously and will work to correct them. All of us here hope we get the opportunity to win back your trust.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Our stay was overall a good stay. The kids loved the pool and our room was very clean. I did not meet the housekeeping staff but I did upon checkout request the name of the person who cleaned our room so I can give a big THANKS to Wally for a clean room. I would also like to thank June who was very attentive and helpful at the breakfast bar in the morning. I would also like to say the ladies at the front desk were very pleasant and helpful. I have to say Kudos to the staff and thanks for a pleasant stay!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
HoJoHbg-Hershey, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Harrisburg, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to recognize our staff. They strive to exceed each guests expectations and for them to hear your complements is very rewarding to them. All of us here at the Howard Johnson-Harrisburg look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

After the drive from Ellicott city/Columbia Maryland. The front desk was very helpful. The pool was great. The price was great. I would suggest larger pillows for king beds. Had a good time. I would come back.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we did during your recent stay with us. We will celebrate your positive comment about our staff at our next meeting. Our pool and courtyard seperates us from our competition during the summer months. Your suggestion for lager pillows for our king size bed is a good one. All of us here at the Howard Johnson-Harrisburg look forward to servicing you again.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Hey, I understand that when you pay less than $60 for a room with a king sized bed, fridge and microwave that you're not going to get much, but I more unimpressed than usual...there was a big tear on the sliding door curtain that was patched with duct tape, trash behind the bedside table and underneath the bed, the bathroom floor felt as if it had been mopped with KY, the coffee maker water reservoir had coffee grounds in it, there was mold and peeling wallpaper in the bathroom, the chairs had stains and tears in the upholstery, all of the dresser drawers looked as if they had suffered severe water damage at some point (?), the furniture looked as if a dog had chewed on it, the lock system for the sliding door was sketchy, and to top it off, the safe was found to be already locked upon arrival, and we were charged for using it when we didn't.
I don't usually complain...this is the first time I've felt that, even though I didn't pay much for the room, I didn't get my money's worth. At the very least, I expect cleanliness. My husband and I enjoy traveling and have stayed in a variety of hotels, this place, so far, has been the worst. The staff and all other interactions, otherwise, were just fine.

Room Tip: I'd avoid ground floor rooms if staying here. They have sliding glass doors which lead out into...