“Came With My Church Youth Group”

Howard Johnson Inn Harrisburg
Ranked #44 of 51 Hotels in Harrisburg
Reviewed 9 May 2010

Every Easter break, our church participates in a youth convention. This was our first time staying here. I must say, I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel was clean and quiet. It did have a pool, but we didn't use it. All the rooms are in a "L" shape surrounding the pool. I thought was was neat. It is near the highway, and therefore near all the attractions this area can offer!

1  Thank lilpnutmom83

Reviewed 7 May 2010

The rooms are spacious and very clean and the staff is to be commended. I have dealt with this hotel for many years and they have gone above and beyond the call of duty every time. We look forward to dealing with Bill Rhoads, the Director of Sales, who always makes sure everything is exemplary. Thank you for a great experience.

Lynette Milardo, Portland, CT

• Stayed: April 2010
HoJoHbg-Hershey, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Inn Harrisburg, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2010

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We have passed your comments along to our staff. We will continue to strive to provide the accommodations and service you expect.

Reviewed 1 May 2010

I've stayed at this hotel for for about 20 days on and off for my Business and Leisure trip. It was a standard hotel at very reasonable price. As a bonus to this, I got free internet and complementary breakfast. Check in and Check out process is quick and they address your needs quickly. Other Plus points of this property is its accessibility to the airport. I don't think it is a new property and the Carpets are worn out. Overall, it is a good hotel for a budget traveler.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We look forward to having you stay with us in the future.

Reviewed 22 April 2010

I was stationed in Harrisburg, by my company, from August of 2009 until today (April 21, 2010. My 9 month stay away from my family was long however the staff and accomodations at the Howard Johnson Inn - Harrisburg were AWESOME! I became almost like a part of the family. I sampled enough of the rooms there to say with great enthusiasm that the beds were comfortable and I never had a bad night's sleep. The front desk were helpful and very accommodating. I wish I could remember all their names. The lady who checked me in on arrival was Karen, and on my last week's stay, this week she was so use to seeing me she had my room key and internet access pass all ready the minute I got out of my car. She and all the girls were kind and helpful, they were great with directions, (especially in the beginning when I didn't know my way around). On the rare occasion that I was missing something in my room, the staff bent over backwards to make sure I received what I needed. When checking out the girls would automatically set up my reservation for the next week. Everything was quick and easy, and they made me feel as though I was very important. Housekeeping kept my room clean and fresh each day, and provided me with extra towels and wash cloths when I needed them. Free high speed internet access allowed me to chat with family at night. The cost only $59. a night was a real bargain. I highly recommend this hotel for both an over night stay and a long term stay. The continental breakfast was free and they had everything, from bagels and muffins to pastry, cereal and waffles. There were two malls nearby and plenty of restaurants. Five stars to this hotel and it's courteous staff. If I am ever in Harrisburg again, there will be no guess as to where I will stay. Thank you to all of you from the bottom of my heart. Awesome Job!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
HoJoHbg-Hershey, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Inn Harrisburg, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2010

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. We will pass your kind words on to our staff.

Reviewed 19 April 2010

I have stayed in this hotel frequently over the past 5 years or so, and generally it was acceptable. However my most recent visit resulted in my first encounter with bed bugs. It affected my sleep, and gave me itchy bites all over both arms.

Aside from this infestation, there are frequent problems with plumbing here. The bedroom area is quite attractive actually, with recently updated bedding and reasonably comfortable beds. Breakfast is adequate. Service is also adequate. Internet is spotty and frequently maddeningly slow. And numerous colleagues of mine have strongly suspected that prostitution was going on in neighboring rooms. Management was unresponsive to this concern. I personally never encountered this, but the bed bugs are enough to make me say for now, find another place to stay. Now I have a bunch of dry cleaning to do. Thanks, HoJo!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
HoJoHbg-Hershey, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Inn Harrisburg, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2010

We take any incident involving insect bites very seriously. We had our professional pest control company inspect the room the guest stayed in and they found no evidence of any bed bugs. We have addressed the other concerns the guest had and will continue to strive to provide the excellent service and accommodations our guests expect.

Reviewed 8 April 2010

I like the Howard Johnson because of the convenience to the airport; the professionalism of the staff; and the efforts to make my stay the best yet. I stay here for all my out of State trips and the Staff know me and my preferences and they are accomadating to my preferences--as much as possible.

The room, the bed, etc. are so nice and comfortable. I really get a good night's sleep before my trip.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
HoJoHbg-Hershey, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Inn Harrisburg, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2010

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We will continue to strive to provide the accommodations and service you expect.

Reviewed 10 March 2010

This is easily the worst property I have stayed at since the ant property (see my profile) and has taught me a lesson once and for all. If I could give this property a negative 5, I would.

First, when I made the reservation I booked what was noted in about 5 different places (and printed out on my confirmation), a PRE-PAID room. You pay us up front and we give you a fabulous rate! OK, so far so good. We were scheduled to check in on 2/25, after driving from Louisville, KY to Harrisburg, ordinarily about a 9 hour drive. Unfortunately, we hit a bad snow storm east of Pittsburgh and it slowed us down by about an hour. When we finally arrived at the hotel at 12:45AM on the 26th tired and stressed from the drive in bad weather, the clerk at the desk on check-in looked in the computer and said in a very loud, condescending way, "Ohhhhh, you were supposed to be here YESTERDAY!" I was so shocked by his rudeness and loud voice I didn't even think to say, "Ohhhhhh, you mean 46 minutes ago?" ALL hotels will hold a reservation until 7AM the following morning, at least that is my understanding. So, then he goes back and forth between his 2 computers (as though my checking in 45 minutes past midnight caused a major computer malfunction or something), shouting as he went, "WHAT DID THE DAY SHIFT DO HERE????" Then he asks to run the credit card and when I ask why (given the pre-paid status), he says, again in the most condescending voice I have ever heard, "Oh no, this wasn't 'pre-paid', they just held your credit card number to guarantee the room." It sounded like he was talking to a 2 year old who had never traveled before. I presented the paper that showed it was pre-paid and he said, "I don't care what that says, you were not charged." Uh huh. "Then why would I get the 'pre-paid' discount?", I ask. He placates me by saying, "Oh well, they must've just taken your money and are holding it until you check out," and then (I kid you not) rolls his eyes. This entire process takes over 20 minutes. We finally head towards the room. The plaque on the outside of the door reads, "No smoking". WRONG! The smell of cigarette smoke about knocked us down the minute we opened the door. Tired and exhausted from the trip we decide to settle in and decide what to do the next day. I did call the bank on Saturday and confirm that in fact, we had never been charged for the room, despite what my paper-work and reservation online said. The next day we spent with dear friends and again, arrived back to the hotel around 11PM. At 1:00AM I hear 2 large buses pull up and park directly outside my window. And then the yelling started. Seems a group of teenaged children were staying there (where were the chaperones? Oh, they were part of the group yelling their heads off!). And they were unloading TWO buses at the top of their lungs at 1:00AM. I let this go on for 15 minutes and then called the front desk. Oh no, it was the shouter :( "Yes, he has just checked them in at 1, yes they should be done soon, yes, I understand it's loud, no, we aren't going to do anything about it, they should quiet down 'soon'." They did. At 1:35AM. That was the last straw. We checked out the following morning--THANK GOD they hadn't actually charged us now we weren't bound to the "no cancellation, no refund for early check-out" policy.

The room (233), aside from the God awful smell of cigarette smoke that permeated everything, was old and worn out. Wall paper peeling, cobwebs in every corner, mildew in the bathroom shower. The bed however, was actually comfortable, a nice surprise. Wireless was a joke. While it would connect to the www, the connection was so slow I literally had to put Gmail on HTML only for it to even be able to open the mail. Anything that needed anything other than basic bandwidth was right out. The "breakfast" was stale donuts and pastries, watered down juice from a dispenser, though you could get a hot waffle if you chose, they had one of those machines available.

I have FINALLY learned my lesson about budget hotels, so I guess there is some light at the end of the tunnel. It truly is a "you get what you pay for" world when traveling in budget properties and I will not do it ever again. I kept hoping and hoping that just once, there was a nice budget friendly property out there that had good service and decent (not the Ritz) rooms. Guess those two cancel each other out.

This is definitely a BUDGET property and you WILL get what you pay for. Just know, that, even at $47 a night, you might feel as though you paid $46.95 too much at this location.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank VanessaL
HoJoHbg-Hershey, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Inn Harrisburg, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2010

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. We have passed your comments on to our staff so we can immediately address the situations you mentioned.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Harrisburg
Econo Lodge Harrisburg
Econo Lodge Harrisburg
#35 of 51 in Harrisburg
Red Roof Inn Harrisburg Hershey
Super 8 Harrisburg Hershey North
La Quinta Inn & Suites Harrisburg Airport Hershey
Days Inn New Cumberland/Harrisburg South
Days Inn New Cumberland/Harrisbu...
#10 of 14 in New Cumberland
Red Roof Inn Harrisburg North
Red Roof Inn Harrisburg North
#34 of 51 in Harrisburg

Been to Howard Johnson Inn Harrisburg? Share your experiences!