“Decent for the price - Basic but generally clean”

Howard Johnson Inn Harrisburg
Ranked #44 of 51 Hotels in Harrisburg
Reviewed 15 July 2010

I have a lot of family who live in this area and visit regularly. This time I was attending a 4th of July BBQ. This is my first time staying at Howard Johnson here in Harrisburg. First of all I would like to say the front desk was very accommodating. Karen at the front desk was able to accommodate me and friends who made a separate reservation and put us on the same floor in the same building. This was probably not an easy task considering the hotel was filling up with families/guest. Also FYI no elevator. This was told to us when I asked for a room on the 2ND floor. It was no problem for us but if anyone has a physical condition and can not handle stairs you should know. When I got to the room it was clean and comfortable. The bed was by far one of the most comfortable beds I've slept in at any of the hotels in this area. And I have stayed at most of them. We had a fridge (smelled a little and hadn't been cleaned) and a microwave. On the 2ND floor each room came with a separate balcony which was nice. But there were many cobwebs out there and no chairs for anyone not facing the pool. My niece stayed with me in my room and we continued to pull the desk chair out to sit on the balcony.

The next day me and my friends staying in the other room hit the free continental breakfast. It was not a bad spread...my only suggestion which I already made on the hotel survey was to add more waffle makers. This was obviously a popular breakfast treat for the kids and with 1 waffle maker there was an awful long line. To make a waffle it takes 2-3 minutes so imagine what its like for a family of 4.

After breakfast we took a swim in the pool. The pool was clean and included a basket full of clean towels for the guest. The kids had a great time (and so did the grown ups). The hotel had a kiddie pool but it was drained. It would have been nice since we did have a little one among our group wearing floaties.

Overall I must say I enjoyed my stay at the Howard Johnson Inn. The location is great. It is right by the major highways, and Target, JCPenney's are not that far just in case you need supplies. Also, many places to eat from diners, restaurant to fast food. At the time I got a deal for $71 a night. Even with a few minor issues I would definitely stay here again when I just need a clean place to sleep, no frills. If you are a large family and need a cheap place to stay this is it. Free breakfast and a pool for the kids. Also, I read other reviews about the noise in the hallways. We were fortunate enough to not have that problem.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 3 July 2010

Well worth the money. Not the newest but convenient to stores/food. First floor rooms have patio with sliding glass door, ease of unloading, loading the car. Coffee 24/7 at desk. Breakfast typical but restocked continuously. While toiletries not replaced every day, one must consider the price. front desk was courteous and attentive to needs. Again a value for the money paid. Have stayed at worse but typical for HJ chain.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 June 2010

We traveled to Pennsylvania from New York to visit Hershey Park. All we needed was a place to stay the night before our big day at Hershey Park. I researched all the hotels in the area thoroughly and was reluctant to book this hotel based on it's low price. The rate was $89/night while other generic hotels such as Comfort Suites was $169/night. I was willing to spend $169 for the evening, but read such great reviews on Howard Johnson and thought to myself, "$89 is really great and we're only staying at the hotel to sleep." So, I decided to go ahead and book the hotel.

The room was very spacious, the sheets were clean, and the bathroom was clean. At 12:00 AM, a comfy bed is all that matters. There were a couple of bonuses: 1) free Internet and 2) a complimentary breakfast. The breakfast offered was simple - cereal, bagels, pastried, waffles, coffee, etc, but, it made our bellies full and gave us a jump start to our fun filled day at Hershey Park!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 June 2010

Got to the hotel around 12 and was pleasantly surprised when they said we could check-in earlier than 3pm. The girl at the front desk (did not get her name) was extremely nice..no complaints here. When we reserved the rooms, we understood there were no NON-SMOKING rooms left, and were prepared to deal with it for 2 nights...however when we got to the building our room was in, you could smell the stench outside. Unfortunately, that stench was quite worse upon entering the front doors. The carpet is stained and extremely old looking..the building itself looks quite run down. Upon entering our room, the smell of cigarettes and god only knows what else just smacked us in the face. There were worms of some sort on the floor behind the toilet, along with a few other dead insects and apparently the people that had the room before us had bad aim as there was urine still on the back of the toilet. At first we called to request another room, which they obliged, but the only thing they had was in the same building...and to be honest, the whole family was quite disgusted by what we saw. We decided to just leave and ended up at the Sleep Inn just up the road..for an extra 20.00 a night, it was a great choice. Beware, as the pictures on the website are NOT what we encountered.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 June 2010

This is a solid option for the budget-conscious traveller. We booked four rooms as part of a family trip to Hershey. Pool was great for the little kids. Unexpectedly good spread for breakfast, including assorted cereal, pastries, breads, and waffles. Free wireless internet, which was easier to connect to than any Marriott or Hilton I stay at for business. Friendly staff, and overall clean. Bed was firm, but comfortable.

Cons? Bathrooms were clean, but pretty worn out. Carpets were tired, and the AC was a little loud. But it's pretty hard to complain when you look at the overall value. Easily met our needs.

About 10-15 minutes from Hersheypark, with easy highway access and nearby restaurants for breakfast and dinner if needed.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 May 2010

The two ladies Tammy, and the other night lady whos name we didnt get were both courteous, friendly, and very helpful. When I got called away and had to leave early due to medical problems with my husband Tammy was fast, very concerned and very helpful in getting me on my way for a 3 hour drive home. The night we arrived the night hostess at the front desk told us where to eat and offered us any help and all ammenities.
The hotel was very clean and supplied very well. The free continental breakfast was set up very nice, had a variety of foods and drinks so for sure everyone could find something they liked. All in all the hotel and staff was excellent and we will return to be able to do our whole stay and sightsee.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
HoJoHbg-Hershey, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Inn Harrisburg, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2010

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We will pass along your kind words to the rest of our staff. We apprceiate you staying at the Howard Johnson Harrisburg whenever you are in the Harrisburg - Hershey area.

Reviewed 9 May 2010

Every Easter break, our church participates in a youth convention. This was our first time staying here. I must say, I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel was clean and quiet. It did have a pool, but we didn't use it. All the rooms are in a "L" shape surrounding the pool. I thought was was neat. It is near the highway, and therefore near all the attractions this area can offer!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank lilpnutmom83
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harrisburg
Econo Lodge Harrisburg
Econo Lodge Harrisburg
#35 of 51 in Harrisburg
Red Roof Inn Harrisburg Hershey
Super 8 Harrisburg Hershey North
La Quinta Inn & Suites Harrisburg Airport Hershey
Days Inn New Cumberland/Harrisburg South
Days Inn New Cumberland/Harrisbu...
#10 of 14 in New Cumberland
Red Roof Inn Harrisburg North
Red Roof Inn Harrisburg North
#34 of 51 in Harrisburg

Been to Howard Johnson Inn Harrisburg? Share your experiences!