“Work in Progress”

Sheraton Harrisburg-Hershey
Ranked #26 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I've been staying at the Sheraton Harrisburg Hershey each week since January of this year for business and the hotel is a certainly a work in progress.

The check in experience is always smooth and takes only a minute or two. The people who check me in are always pleasant and seem to remember who I am. I am a Platinum SPG member and for some reason, however, I often get either an accessible room or a room on a lower floor away from the club lounge. I'm not sure how they assign rooms, but it's very random.

All of the common areas are very clean and the hotel is bright during the day. It's also located in a fairly convenient location right off 283 with easy access to the airport (MDT) and Harrisburg.

The sleeping rooms are definitely a bit dated. The carpets and wallpaper as well as the furniture in general seem like they are original to the hotel. The furniture often has scratches on it and some of the extra furniture, such as a couch or chair seems misplaced sometimes in the room. For instance, a larger room with a king size bed may only have a small chair in the corner while a slightly smaller room with the same bed may have a sofa squished between the window and the bed.

The most frustrating thing about the rooms is the outlets. There aren't enough outlets, and judging by the additional adapters in some of the outlets, the hotel is aware of this. The outlets that are there are not located in the best positions throughout the room, for instance, I can either have the clock next to my bed or my phone; ideally I'd have both. Additionally, many of the outlets are so loose that whatever you plug in doesn't stay plugged in--the plug just comes right out unless you can balance it the right way, but then you can't really trust that your device will stay plugged in. Traveling with a phone, laptop, and iPad, I need places to plug things in occasionally and I don't think the Sheraton has done a great job keeping up.

I will say that the rooms at the Sheraton are always clean, at least they have been for me.

The Club Lounge on the 10th floor was just renovated and has reopened. The lounge is bright and spacious and there is always a good assortment of food and drink available. The staff is somewhat inconsistent, however. Until recently, Pat worked the morning in the lounge. She was wonderful. She got to know me and wanted to make sure I had everything I needed. When the new lounge opened, Pat left and Amanda is now working in the mornings. Amanda is very pleasant and is definitely a hard worker. She has solid command over the lounge and wants to make sure that I have what I need. Yolanda works the lounge in the evenings and she isn't a friendly person. While she makes sure the lounge is clean and stocked, she never greets me or makes me feel welcome. If I have a question I get a terse answer. I've seen her laugh and joke with other people, so maybe it's just me, but it's certainly not comfortable and I go out of my way to avoid the lounge in the evening, at least until she's gone.

The Sheraton Harrisburg Hershey has a lot of potential and since it's nearly always booked to capacity during the week, I would think that Starwood would be interested in making some updates to the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor may smell like chlorine because of their proximity to the pool.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank mshura
AGMSheraton, Manager at Sheraton Harrisburg-Hershey, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Thank you for your detailed review! We're glad that we've been able to accommodate you for your business trips, and we appreciate Platinum guests that are loyal to Sheraton and Starwood. We apologize if we haven't been able to upgrade your room as often as wished in the past. We do try to rotate the guests who receive upgrades, but feel free to let our Front Desk know so that we can add your upgrade preference to your Starwood profile. We will also pass along your comments concerning our Club Lounge attendant. Your comfort is our priority and we apologize if you ever felt unwelcomed at our hotel. Please let us know if there is anything else that we can do to enhance your stay!

Reviewed 5 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here two nights in May while visiting a relative there. The hotel was very clean and our room, number 905 very comfortable. We were told the rooms are due to be remodeled soon and in all honesty, they do need it. Regardless our room was well taken care of and the bed was very comfortable. We had access to the Club Lounge and we enjoyed it for breakfast and snacks. In the evening we had drinks and snacks in the bar. Awesome staff.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review! We're glad that you were able to enjoy our Club Lounge and restaurant and we hope you'll be back to see our remodeled rooms in the future!

Reviewed 3 June 2014

I stayed here for a business trip for 3 nights. It was apparent that the room I stayed in was recently renovated, with new carpet, very crisp bedding and decent linens. However, the bathroom needed more than just new faucets and a new shower head. The air conditioner sounded like a jet plane taking off, but at least it didn't smell. The most disappointing part was the lack of effective wireless/connectivity in the rooms. I basically couldn't do any work, let alone access the internet for personal use. I was so desperate I tried the LAN connecting cord that I found in my closet (I had no idea why it was there upon check-in). I plugged (oh the horror) the cord into my laptop and the connection was STILL impossible to use without enduring many delays just trying to stream a 3 minute video. It's 2014...time to upgrade, Sheraton.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your review. We apologize that our wireless internet services did not meet your satisfaction, and will pass on your comments to the appropriate departments so that we can improve our amenities. We hope to see you on your next business trip!

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We, our travel baseball team, have had some very good experiences at this hotel. The team has had family parties in the pool area where the kids can play and the parents can socialize. The front desk is quick to help with anything that has come up from extra coffee; a roll away; towels; noise issues..Chili's is in walking distance. The boys could play wiffle ball in next door fields. Plenty of parking. There has always been large groups of teens here from dances; bus loads of band members; to several baseball teams.

Room Tip: We would not stay near the pool although others have an liked it.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
AGMSheraton, Manager at Sheraton Harrisburg-Hershey, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Thank you for your review! We're glad that your baseball team had a great time at our property, and we hope that you'll be back for your next tournament!

Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

We haven't even checked out yet and I am rushed to write this review so I can put this all behind me.

1. Beds are so so hard. Incredibly uncomfortable to sleep on.

2. Pools are great but we are on the 4th floor and hear a ton of noise. Pool closes at ten but my little boys sleep at 9. Ok fine. I buy some on demand package for them to kill an hour. It craps out after 27 minutes. Only thing front desk can really do is reimburse me. 10 PM finally rolls around but you can hear kids out there making SO much noise until 11:30 when I called the front desk. We weren't able to sleep until 12.

3. Sleep? Yuck! Our down filled blanket has tons of stains on it. Little drops of blood here or there but still.... Nasty! Call the front desk/ no more blankets. They send us another comforter. No indication of bed bugs (fingers crossed) but the blanket was so gross.

4. Oh room service! Ordered 3 desserts as a treat for us and the kids since we were all wide awake at 10. They were so terrible. The key lime pie (square) and the slice of Oreo cheesecake made jello no-bake look good. The Chocolate covered strawberry cake- strawberries inside had gone bad. My 2 and 4 year old boys didn't take more than a bite followed by 'yucky'. Honestly I'll enjoy little Debbie treats so I'm really not picky when it comes to anything sweet and creamy. We left the tray outside with 90% of the desserts untouched. Did not to bother complaining because what's the point.

5. So our sleep was terrible because the king sized bed was horrible but the pull out sofa was even worse. To add insult to injury, before 8 am, the kids (high schoolers?) were back out at the pool area screaming and hollering. My poor kids who need 12 hours of sleep a night were wide awake before 8 am. We had a lot planned for them to do today but as any parent knows, when toddlers don't sleep properly, it makes for a horrible day.

Boo hoo. If you want a good nights rest in a clean and comfortable hotel, Id look elsewhere especially if you don't plan to use the pool. Dealing with the noise isn't worth it. Don't both trying room service or expecting to use the pull out couch. Check your bedding soon as you arrive so there's still hope to get it changed if need be.

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Fhaqer

We apologize for the unfortunate experience that you encountered during your stay. We appreciate families that choose to stay with us, and we're sorry that our housekeeping and restaurant departments were not up to the standards that you expect from Sheraton. Your comments will be passed along to the appropriate managers so that we can avoid unsatisfactory circumstances such as these in the future. Please feel free to contact us directly with any further comments from your stay.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel a week and a half ago and it was great! We booked on Priceline and got a decent deal.

Checkin was awesome. Do not remember the gentleman's name but he was friendly and accommodating. We had been assigned a room on the 7th floor with double beds. We requested a king room at that time and he told us he could give us one, but it would be on the 5th floor and there was a whole floor full of high school students staying over for their Prom. We kept the double on the 7th floor!

We did not eat, swim or shop while there so can not comment on that but the room was very clean and appeared fairly "new" though I know this property has been here quite some time.

It was quiet despite a wedding and the prom so we were impressed.

Parking was ok...was crowded due to the events.

We will stay here again if we need to!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
AGMSheraton, Manager at Sheraton Harrisburg-Hershey, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

We're happy that you enjoyed your stay with us! We hope that you will have time to relax and enjoy our pool and other amenities on your next trip!

Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Dan at the front desk was wonderful!!!! He went out of his way to explain everything. We were upgraded to a suite which was modern and clean. Thank you for a wonderful stay!! Great amenities and located with many restaurants and shopping around.

• Stayed: May 2014
AGMSheraton, Manager at Sheraton Harrisburg-Hershey, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Thank you for your kind review! We're glad that you enjoyed your time at our hotel and we will pass along your appreciation to Dan. We look forward to your next stay!