“Not good at all.”

Ranked #23 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Staten Island, New York, USA
“Not good at all.”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I made a huge mistake in booking this hotel. I was originally price checking the Holiday Inn Express near hershey, and in my searches this hotel came up for a good price and I liked the pool and nighttime movie for the kids. I did not do my normal amount of research and I learned my lesson.

First off, I reserved 2 rooms, one a king and one with 2 doubles. The king room was just fine. When we walked into the double room, I was doing my normal cleanliness checks and when I got to the bathroom, there was hair in the tub, and poop smeared inside the toilet. Also, there was a big bottle of water (which they charge $4 for) which was opened. There were fresh towels and toiletries however. So I sat at the desk and tried to call the desk, and while it was ringing, I looked in the drawers and there were clothes in the drawers. Dirty clothes. My son also found more in the closet. I have no idea if this was all left behind as there was no luggage, or if the room was still occupied. No one picked up at the desk, so I had to go down to the desk to explain the problem. The woman at the front was very nice and apologetic about the situation, and gave us a coupon for 4 free breakfasts the following morning and a new room.

The new room did not come with any water. It was incredibly humid in the room.
The free wifi sucked and hardly every worked.
The pool was nice. Pretty clean and water is heated. I tried to go in the hot tub, but there were about 12 kids crammed in there. There is a little snack bar outside which is nice and not crazy $$. There are very little lounges.

Also, there needs to be a rule that diapers cannot be disposed of in the trash cans in the hallways. the entire floor smelled like dirty diapers due to someone filling a can in the hallway with diapers. Gross.

I was very disappointed in this hotel. I think it will be a long time before I go back to a Sheraton.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank MrsBattsNY

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I was hesitant about our stay after reading all the negative reviews on TripAdvisor. We did not find any of the issues that others seemed to have with our room. The hotel exterior certainly seems aged, but we found the room pretty comparable to other SPG venues we have stayed at. The convenience of its location relative to Hershey Park, made it a good choice for our stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
AGMSheraton, Manager at Sheraton Harrisburg-Hershey, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Thank you for your review! We appreciate SPG members that are loyal to the Sheraton and Starwood brand. Please feel free to let us know of any special requests for your next trip to Hershey Park!
Englewood cli
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights first week in Aug. when visiting Hershey Park. This is a very old, run down hotel that probably has not been updated since it was built over 30 years ago. I read the poor reviews before booking and went in with very low expectation and still got very disappointed. Other than fairly closeness to Hershey Park (app. 15 min.) I have nothing positive to say about this hotel. It desperately need a major renovation throughout. We had a suite and it was a total waste of money.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Arezu M
AGMSheraton, Manager at Sheraton Harrisburg-Hershey, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
We apologize that we were not able to meet the standards that you have come to expect from Starwood hotels. Our property plans to commence updates during the late 2014-2015 year and we will look into issues listed in your review that can be fixed in the meantime. Please feel free to contact our Front Office Manager, David Hazboun, with any further details at 717-564-5511 ex. 0.
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 8 August 2014

As a SPG gold member, I stay in lots of Sheratons around the country. I was disappointed in how run down this property looked.

The staff was excellent in welcoming me at check in. My room on the club floor had a comfortable bed and a giant HDTV. But, overall, the whole room just looked old and dated. Same for the bathroom. Also, street noise from the adjoining highway was pretty loud.

In the morning, I headed to the gym. While the treadmill worked fine, the gym itself was dirty and really unattractive. Not a place you'd want to spend a minute more than necessary.

Overall, you'll find all the working parts of a Sheraton here but you'll likely come away wishing you'd spent less.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank PMFRVA
AGMSheraton, Manager at Sheraton Harrisburg-Hershey, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thank you for your review. We apologize that our decor did not meet what you've come to expect at Starwood properties as a SPG Gold member. Our management is looking into updating areas throughout the hotel and we will pass your review to our housekeeping and engineering teams for any possible maintenance in the meantime. We value our SPG members and we hope that you'll stop by again!
Ontario
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed here for one night in transit to our next destination arriving in the evening. When we arrived the hotel was quite busy as there was a conference going on, which meant full parking lots and busy hallways. The staff was very friendly and helpful during our stay. We liked the location being a very short walk (~ 5 minutes) from the shopping mall (JCPenney, Target etc.), which afforded us some much needed exercise instead of driving. The room is a bit dated but clean and bright plus internet service was free. The one thing we could not get used to at the hotel was the fact that the rear parking lot is not on the same level as the lobby. We ate the breakfast buffet at the "Dog and Pony Restaurant and Pub", which was excellent value with the staff friendly and attentive to our needs.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review! We're glad that you had a nice time at our property and we hope that you'll stop in again on your next trip!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I have stayed at this hotel twice. Once was one year ago close to Christmas and the hotel was a quiet break during a drive north. However, I recently stayed there again during the peak of Hershey park season and the hotel was filled with very loud children. I can't blame the children for the fact that we could hear every word of the teenage girls late-night conversations next door. The walls are so paper thin that you could hear a suitcase unzip.

The bathrooms were also not up to Sheraton standards and ours smelled of mildew.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We apologize that your second stay at our hotel was not as pleasant as the first. Our housekeeping staff will look into any possible issues in our guest bathrooms to make sure they are up to proper standards. Please contact us with any further questions from your stay.
Glen Head, New York
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Some of the previous reviews of this hotel were off putting,so I was a bit afraid of what I would find. The exterior is dated and unattractive- dark brick. Also, the lobby is on the 3rd floor and the layout is strange. But the lobby was clean and large! Dog and Pony restaurant also immaculate. Our room was on the 5th floor in a corner, as I asked to be away from the pool fearing noise. We had no problem with pool noise. The hallway carpets were dirty both days of our stay, at all times...crumbs and such. Our room was very clean though. But yes, some nicks and bangs in the wood furniture. Wallpaper a little cheesy. But the white bed linens were crisp and seemingly sterile. I checked for bedbugs, and I was pleased to find nothing. Bathroom was cramped but quite clean. What was awful was the extremely loud plumbing. Toilet sounds like an airplane type of whoosh. I was afraid to get sucked in! And it woke me up. Pool area was cute. My kids enjoyed swimming between indoor and outdoor. Ample outdoor furniture. Great shopping area adjacent with Target, Five Guys, Christmas Tree Shops, etc. Overall, place was clean and convenient, but probably not worth the higher price...but certainly not as awful as some reviewers depict.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank MamaV3374
AGMSheraton, Manager at Sheraton Harrisburg-Hershey, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Thank you for your review! We apologize that the plumbing system in your guest room was unnerving for your stay. Our engineering team will check the system to make sure it is running at proper settings. During the 2014-2015 year, we plan to commence renovations at our property and we hope you will stop back in to take a look!