“Great for an overnight”

Red Roof Inn Harrisburg North
Ranked #34 of 51 Hotels in Harrisburg
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We stayed here May 10. I picked it for the good reviews and because Harrisburg would be about as far as I wanted to drive that day. We got in a little later than expected but the woman on the front desk was very efficient and got us checked in right away. She normally worked the night shift so she wasn't too aware what might be open in the immediate area. She did direct us to the Mall which was very close. The room was clean and comfortable. We found a Chinese restaurant and a liquor store that was open by turning right on the main road as you leave the property, and making another right at the 2nd major intersection. They were in the second strip mall we passed on the left, If you travel in the opposite direction there was a supermarket. The only slight negative was the A/C. It smelled musty when just the fan was going... it seemed to clear up after the unit ran and cooled down.

1  Thank JeffO_Can
Joanna Martin _, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Harrisburg North, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our Inn. I am happy to hear that you felt our front desk agent was very efficient and that she got you checked in right away. It makes me happy to hear that you found your room to be clean and comfortable. We do have several stores and restaurants in our vicinity which makes it convenient for our guests. I am sorry to hear that the air conditioner had a musty smell to it. I will be sure to share that with our Engineer so that it will not be an issue in the future. Once again, thank you for writing a review of our property. We are looking forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Harrisburg!

Reviewed 14 May 2014

The exterior doors to the hotel don't close properly but our room was clean. The building is rather tired but the rooms were okay for 1 night. The desk clerks looked harried and tired but were nice.

Appreciated the fridge, microwave, desk, and safe in the king room. However, if you need creature comforts, avoid this place, which is spartan like a college dormitory: easy chair was upholstered in vinyl.

Negatives: some black mold on the bathtub caulking and not enough towels.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Joanna Martin _, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Harrisburg North, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our Inn. We are currently looking into getting the doors for our stairwells secured. I am glad to hear that you felt that your room was clean. I am also happy that you found our front desk staff to be nice. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the refrigerator, microwave, desk and safe in our king superior rooms. I am sorry that you found mold on the bathtub caulking. I will address that with my housekeeping staff. We do have additional towels available at the front desk should you require more than what we place in the rooms. Thank you again for writing a review of our property. We hope to see you on your next visit to Harrisburg.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Stayed here again returning from Virginia as the price is very reasonable, we were in a handy cap room which was very spacious, lovely king size bed, colour TV, refrigerator, microwave, very comfortable and the WiFi was excellent. The only thing we found to our dislike was there was no counter space in the bathroom. Excellent reasonable motel to stay in in the is area

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Joanna Martin _, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Harrisburg North, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2014

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I am glad to hear that you came back to stay with us again. I am happy you enjoyed our handicapped room which does offer a king size bed, color television, refrigerator, and microwave. It is good to hear that the Wi-Fi worked well and that you felt that the room was very comfortable. I understand your dislike of lack of counter space in the bathroom. We are currently in the process of adding additional shelving in our handicapped rooms. Thank you once again for your kind review. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to the area!

Reviewed 4 May 2014

I had a free night from RR loyalty card and the desk person explained that it would be a separate reservation for that night and a new reservation for the second night. She advised that though I would need to come back to the office and "re-register", it would just be a matter of paperwork and that we wouldn't have to change rooms. (This was also what I was told by the 800 number operator when I called to make the reservation as required by the free night certificate). The room was clean, spacious, quiet and safe. Red Roof has a great reputation for pet friendliness, though I was surprised to see a cat sitting on the windowsill of one of the rooms! The Susquehanna mall is right across Interstate 81 and many restaurants are nearby. There's also a Turkey Hill across Progress Ave. for a quick breakfast or snack. I've stayed here before and will stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our Inn. I am glad that we were able to accommodate you using your free night certificate by letting you stay in the same room. I am so happy to hear that you found your room clean, spacious, quiet, and safe. We are pet friendly and accept any four legged family member, dogs and cats alike. We are conveniently located next to several restaurants, shops, and convenience stores. I am very happy to hear that you will be staying with us on your next visit to the Harrisburg area! Thank you again for writing a review about our property. We look forward to seeing you on your return trip.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

I recently showed my dog at the pinnacle obedience show in the country, and had the pleasure of staying at the Red Roof Inn Harrisburg North. I particularly want to thank Dally for her assistance in getting my friend and I the rooms we wanted on the first floor. We SO appreciated it! Dally was extremely helpful, hospitable, and friendly, as were the rest of the staff,. I would highly recommend this property to anyone, particularly those traveling with dogs. It is only about five minutes from the PA Farm Expo Center. A very nice Red Roof location!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Joanna Martin _, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Harrisburg North, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our Inn. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us when you were in town for the dog show! Thank you for your kind words about Dally. She is definitely an asset at the front desk and goes out of her way to ensure that our guests get the best customer service. Thank you again for writing a review of our property. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to the area!

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Located 1 exit north of the Farm Show Complex - it is in a great location. 5 minutes to the Farm Show Complex. Hotel is in an office park so it was very quiet on the weekend. However, our room was dirty. Not dusty or stale - DIRTY. The floors were muddy and the bedspread was not clean. The sheets were clean - but the bedspread was not. I went to front desk immediately and politely let them know. Absolutely nothing was done about it. It was late in the evening and raining so looking for another hotel was not possible. I gave them ample opportunity to send over fresh linens, move our room, offer to have it cleaned - they did NOTHING. One other sour note - they charge you $1.50 per day for the in room safe. You cannot opt out at check-in. They make you initial that you know you have to pay the extra $1.50 a day but if you want a refund you can ask at check-out time. Basically, they hope you forget and they get to pocket a $1.50 per night for you not using the safe and not asking for a refund. I did get my refund - but when I went to check-out in the morning at 8:30 AM the office was closed and I had to wait 15 minutes for the office help to return. I think they really do want you to just leave and let them keep their safe "tip". I know it's only a $1.50 but it just felt wrong they way they handle it. No breakfast is offered here. No fast food restaurants nearby. There is a Cracker Barrel and Macaroni Grill across the interstate from the hotel. Less than 1/2 mile to get there - but not possible to walk there due to traffic. Starbucks in the shopping plaza next to Cracker Barrel. We only stayed 1 night and moved on. We travel approximately 100 nights a year and this Red Roof is not representative of the many we stay in around the country. Poorly managed.

Room Tip: Rooms in building 1 are closer to the dog walking area.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Joanna Martin _, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Harrisburg North, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our Inn. I am sorry to hear that your room cleanliness did not exceed your expectations. We take our cleanliness very seriously so I am truly disappointed that your room was not up to our standards. I am also disappointed that the front desk did not correct this issue to your satisfaction. We do offer safes in our guest rooms. There is a minimal charge for the safes. The reason that we do not want to know whether you will be using the safe at check in is for our guest's privacy. We are always more than happy to remove the fee at check out for you if you did not use the safe. I am sorry that when you came to check out the desk clerk was away from the desk attending to another guests needs. Once again, I would like to thank you for writing a review of our property. Please come back and see us next time you are in the Harrisburg area so that we can show you that we can exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

This was a typical, renovated Red Roof. Rooms were clean. Fridge and Micro were a nice touch. Room did not have a coffee maker though. Rooms in the back of the second building do get some traffic noise from Rt 81. Plenty of grass in the back if traveling w/ pet.

Room Tip: rooms in the back of the second building do get some white noise from Rt. 81
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank mdwgbgpa

I appreciate you taking the time to review our Inn. I am glad that you felt that our rooms were clean. We do have some rooms that offer a refrigerator and microwave. We also have several areas with grass for our guests to walk their pets. Thank you again for your review. Please come and visit us again next time you are in the Harrisburg area.