“Just OK”

Ranked #28 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Buffalo NY
“Just OK”
Reviewed 21 August 2013

This was just a stopover so my needs were minimal. Nice location on the river. It's in walking distance of the downtown. This was a plus because you can stay downtown but not pay for parking. I agree the staff was quite nice and friendly. I had a room on the second floor. Almost freaked me out when I opened the door to what appeared to be a black hole. There were no windows in this room except the one to the hallway. Otherwise the room was nice. My only real complaint was the free WiFi. Pretty bad. Some spots in the room were "out of range". I would probably stay there again but only as a stopover.

Room Tip: Take a walk down the street and check out the gorgeous rowhouses.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
FOMgrPA129, General Manager at Comfort Inn Riverfront, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write write about the Comfort Inn Riverfront. We have just recently upgraded our Free High Speed wireless internet server. This should make quite a difference! We also provode for our guests a Complimentary Hot Breakfast that includes Waffles, Eggs, Sausage and many other yummy breakfast foods! Served with a smile!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, Canada
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I would like to say this is the 2nd hotel we stayed at along our trip.
We stayed at the Comfort Inn, in Harrisburg down the road before this one. We had checked out early in the morning there as we wanted to get a head start on our Civil War trip. We arrived at about 9:30 am to this hotel, and knowing it was way to early to check in I thought maybe we could at least leave our luggage. Well to my utter surprise, James had no problem getting us into our room at that particular time. I was so shocked, and needless to say very impressed. We were to have a view of the downtown side of the hotel, but I have to say I am pleased that we didn't. We were on the 2nd floor, ( no elevator) and our room overlooked the breathtaking Shushquenhana River!!.
James went out of his way to make sure we were comfortable, and as I am a choice rewards member he gave us a goodie bag of chips and water just for being rewards members!!
The room was clean, and cool. The biggest problem I have with this hotel is the size of the pillows!! Not impressed at all, as they are couch throw pillows with cases on them!! I would suggest to change the pillows. Other than that I have not a complaint about the room.
We had done our day of travel, and were very hungry and wanted to just order something in. That was not an easy task, as there are not a lot of places that deliver. I am putting this in only to praise James again, as we had ordered a pizza, and gave the address and where our room was but stated we would wait outside. Well we waited and didn't realize pizza dude was trying to get to our room via front desk. They called and we were not in room ( as we were waiting outside) James, chased he pizza guy through the parking lot to get him back as we missed him. Not a lot of people with a suit on in the hot weather would bother. but James did, and that just made me think if I needed anything , he would do his best to provide. Thanks so much.
The evenings were spent right at the river, which is breathtaking at night.
There is no elevator, so anyone with any kind of disability would find it hard to navigate stairs, but even though we were on 2nd floor, ( I have difficulty walking) the stairs were not bad.
This hotel has been updated, and with the lack of tv stations at our other hotel, we were very impressed with the selection here.
Thanks again Choice, We will be back.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
FOMgrPA129, General Manager at Comfort Inn Riverfront, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let Trip Advisor know about your stay! Choice Privileges in association with Choice Hotels is one of the very best rewards programs available to all hotel guests! As James at the Front Desk is one of the very best Front Desk Managers~! He was just recently promoted for this exact reason!! His abliltiy to go above and beyond for all of our guests doesnt just happen occasionally, it is every day he is here! There are very few guest requests that go by without him accomodating them!
Albany, New York
Reviewed 11 August 2013

I live in NY travelling to Hershey Pa to see Joyce Meyer Conference this past weekend. When I was looking up motels I came across many in this area! I research a motel very carefully when I travel alone which is what I did this time. I read the reviews from past guests and compare their needs to mine. This motel had very good reviews which is ultimately why I picked it and booked reservations online.On arrival I found the desk staff to be cheerful and courteous. The room accomodations were outstanding. It is clean and neat. The housekeepers are on top of their game and pleasant. The free breakfast was excellent. I think this motel is well managed- very sincere. They all seem to work as a team for the benefit of the guests.People were so nice. I felt very safe in all ways. I will be back next year I told the nice man behind the desk- as Joyce Meyer promised to return next August. Take my advice..you wont regret your decision to book a room here. Attractions so easy to find and get to- esp Hershey World and Giant Center. Thanks everyone at Comfort Inn for making this trip a memorable time!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank lobsterg18
Let me just say from the "TEAM" we are very happy that you found your visit to the Comfort Inn Riverfront in Harrisburg to be an enjoyable one! We have been working very hard all summer to exceed all of guests expectations. Starting with a clean room, a filling breakfast that includes waffles, eggs, sausage and many other items to start your morning off on the right foot! It is nice that we are located near many attracttions that are within walking distance especially since we offer free parking!

City Island where the Harrisburg Senators play baseball, the Whitiker Center and many fabulous restaurants located on 2nd Street. Sitting outside by the pool offers a fabulous sunset most evenings!

Thank you from the TEAM!
Holland
Reviewed 9 August 2013

The hotel is niceli located at the bank of the river. There is a nice promenade along the river highly advised. The capitol and its complex are at walking distance. Also the restaurant area at 2nd street is minutes away. The hotel is the usual Comfort Inn but this time we got a poor room with the window to the corridor which meant you had to have the curtains continuously closed. The room was smaller than usual. A bit of extra maintenance would also help. The breakfast is as usual, most products seem to be frozen, there are no vegetables.

Room Tip: Avoid the type of room with window to the aisle
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor. I am sorry that we did not meet all of your expectations on this trip. The nice thing about our hotel is that we are in a great location with beautiful views of the Susquhanna RIver. One draw back is that not ever room has a riverview.

We work very hard on providing every guest with a clean room and have a very eager friendly team that wants to WOW all of our guests with great customer service. Next time you are in town please stay with us again and request a room with a view of the river.
castalia, ohio
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Clean rooms, friendly, courteous staff. Great breakfast. Hotel was full but staff handled it very well. Within walking distance to city island and capital. Definitely would return here. Beautiful setting on river.

• Stayed August 2013
FOMgrPA129, General Manager at Comfort Inn Riverfront, responded to this review, 8 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor!! The Comfort Inn Riverfront is ideally located in Harrisburg Pa. We offer Free Parking and are a nice walk along the Susquehanna River to see many of the popular sights around town. City Island, where the Harrisburg Senators play baseball at Metro Park is one. As well as being with in walking distance to Restaurant Row and the Whitaker Center.

Our team has been working very hard this summer to provide all of our guests with a clean comfortable room at an affordable price. We also have a great hot breakfast that includes
yummy waffles, sausage, eggs and many other items to fill you up before you start your day exploring the wonderful city of Harrisburg. Or perhaps before you make the quick drive to Hershey Park, Lancaster Amish Country or historical Gettysburg, PA!

We sure do hope you will consider the Comfort Inn Riverfront the next time you come to town!
Reviewed 6 June 2013 via mobile

We were looking for a hotel on our drive up the coast and we found this affordable room that has the most beautiful view over the river. The poor reviews from the past year almost made us choose a different location, but we were pleasantly surprised when our room was clean and we were walking distance from the baseball game we went to. Our only problem was that we asked to pay with cash, but gave them a credit card number to reserve our spot. The next morning they said we could not pay with cash because they had already charged our card. It was pretty frustrating but things could have been a lot worse. Breakfast was pretty typical but we were happy to eat a free meal.

• Stayed June 2013
M.U., PA
Reviewed 28 May 2013

This smoke-free hotel gave us the last room they had available and at a very reduced rate because my husband had to be at the Pinnacle Hospital at 6:30 a.m. the next day. The room was right at the top of the steps by the office so we were a little worried. We worried for nothing! It was absolutely quiet, even when they were setting up the breakfast buffet. The bathroom was clean and there were plenty of towels. The beds were quite hard though and the pillows were so soft that I had to use three. They also have a problem with the comforter having cigarette burns in them. We had two queen beds and they both had burn holes.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family