“Hope that recent changes don't foreshadow further declines”

Woodloch Pines Resort
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Hawley
GreenLeadersGold level
long island
“Hope that recent changes don't foreshadow further declines”
Reviewed 13 December 2012

Went to Woodloch for annual family gathering the weekend of December 8. The service considers to be excellent; the staff uniformly is friendly, outgoing and seems to genuinely want to do whatever possible to enhance the guests' eperience.
Some family members have likened a repeat trip to Woodloch to the movie "Groundhog Day" - i.e., a repeat of the prior trip. Unfortunately, we noticed a change this year, as the quality of the Sunday brunch was significantly lower than in prior years. Hot foods were virtually eliminated (no more stuffed shrimp, chicken marsala, etc.), and beef was eliminated from the carving station.
Also, the quality of the pictures from the house photographer was so poor that even my wife and daughter, who often want to purchase a family photo, appear to be willing to pass this time.
The major negative, the lack of quality entertainment, continues to plague Woodloch. At a minimum, the bank leader (Sam?) should be replaced.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank travelerfrli
Woodloch, Manager at Woodloch Pines Resort, responded to this review, 1 January 2013
Travelerfrli-

Thank you for your recent stay and review. We’re sorry you were disappointed in some aspects of your stay. Food is the most critical and also the most subjective aspect anyone's stay here at Woodloch. We are continually working hard at improving our cuisine as tastes and trends change- if you have any specific suggestions, please email us at woodmark (@) woodloch (.) com.

We also consistently strive to provide quality family-friendly entertainment. We’ve had many nationally acclaimed acts (some of which have appeared on “America’s Got Talent”) take the Woodloch stage along with more local acts.

Again, any feedback you could directly provide us will be very helpful. Please reach out directly.

The Woodloch Family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (487)
Levittown, New York
Reviewed 6 December 2012

We took the family for our daughter's sweet sixteen birthday to Woodloch and stayed in a beautiful town home at Woodloch Springs. The home was big, beautiful, clean....a true home away from home! We spent the extended weekend participating in so many family-fun events hosted at Woodloch Pines. The staff is so friendly I can see why people continue to return here year after year. I have already recommended Woodloch to several family members. My only regret is not having vacationed here early. Try Woodloch....you will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: Staying at the Springs offered you more privacy than the Pines.
2 Thank Jacqueline H
Jacqueline H-

Happy birthday to your daughter, and thank you for your kind words.

We’re happy we had the opportunity to host this special event for your family. It’s always motivating to hear that our guests had a pleasant stay. We’re also glad you enjoyed the Springs Guest Home accommodations- with a whole group of teenage girls, I’m sure you made the most of the extra living space that they offer.

Thanks again for taking the time to let us know you enjoyed yourselves. We look forward to your return.

The Woodloch Family
Montvale, New Jersey
Reviewed 4 December 2012

I just returned from a girls weekend at The Lodge at Woodloch - an adult only spa resort. They have thought of everything here. From the moment the valet took my car, to the front desk attendant who, after she checked me in, walked me to my room. Everything is very clean and everybody I encountered, including guests, were very nice and happy.

They have a wonderful selection of classes and activities that are included - from lectures about healthy eating or astronomy, to cooking and wine tasting classes, hikes, painting, the list is endless. Not to mention all the exercise classes - from yoga to spin - they've got it. And all of the instructors are very patient and well trained.

I indulged in a body scrub, a massage and a facial at the spa while I was there. Nobody pressured me to purchase anything, although all the products are available for purchase. The spa services are an additional charge, but I feel they were reasonably priced. Great technicians.

The pools, hot tubs, sauna and steam room are all wonderful. I got an additional massage from the waterfall in the hot tub in the main pool.

Although I only made it outside once, they have beautiful grounds.

Food is exceptional and on the healthy side, but you wouldn't know it.

About half of the guests seemed to be groups of ladies for a "girls weekend", some mother & daughter groups, and the other half were couples. There truly is something for everybody.

This is an all inclusive resort - including tips. I didn't have to tip anybody.

The Lodge is a sister property of The Pines, which is a family resort.

I'm already saving up so I can go back. It is expensive, but I consider it a special treat. I hope to return with my husband next time. I'm still feeling relaxed from my weekend away.

If you can afford it - GO!

Room Tip: You are charged per person, not per room. Even if you are with a group, you may be able to get indi...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank MamaDeegs
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 4 December 2012

This past weekend we returned to Woodloch with a group of 17 people. I am so glad we came back because we had an amazing time. Our group ranged in age from 19 months to 70 years old. There was something to do for everyone. I think the only time we returned to our rooms was to have some down time before dinner and to sleep. We stayed in Greenbriar and our rooms were spacious and clean. We were conveniently located near the dining room, North Lodge and Toddler Room (which my 19 month old and 5 year old loved) and we were able to go over to the indoor forest and gym without our jackets. We took advantage of almost every activity from decorating ornaments to Family Feud (we won!) and Win Lose or Draw (we lost). I was a little disappointed that there was no snow for snow tubing but we had a great time on the Go Karts and the Zip Line instead. The food was great at every meal and the staff is super friendly and accommodating. My teenage nephews said this was their favorite vacation out off the previous places we have visited (Great Wolf, Hershey) and my mother-in-law said this was the vacation she has always wanted for our family. Coming home was sad but we look forward to going back next year!

Just a few tips:
* If you have small children it is worth it to stay in Greenbriar
* Try to go to one of the shows in the nightclub

Room Tip: Stay in the Greenbriar rooms and you will be in the main building, steps away from the dining room...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank AngelaBklyn
Bronx
Reviewed 3 December 2012

I recently attended a wedding at Woodloch. It was a beautiful setting and the staff there made everything go smoothly. It was decorated for the holidays and made it all the more special. The facility was super clean. I had an opportunity to use the indoor pool and hot tub which was a treat. I stayed in a 3 bedroom house on the property with friends and the house was immaculate. I would recommend Woodloch to friends for a party or weekend getaway.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Jackson, New Jersey
Reviewed 30 November 2012

I have been coming here for many years and I still marvel at the cleanest rooms and wonderful staff. The owners and their families all do truly care about you. Should you have any problem(which is rare) they will do anything to make your stay better. Yes, you do pay for some extra's like alcohol and some activities, but most are free. It is a place to relax and spend quality time with you family. It's not the Four Seasons and does not try to be. It's a down to earth place where you can just be yourself. Go enjoy and kick back.

Room Tip: Discuss any special requirements with the staff.
Rockland County, NY
Reviewed 25 November 2012

We had never heard of this place and didn’t know what to expect. Apparently they have been in business since the 50’s and most of their business is through word of mouth. We loved it so much; we too want to get the word out.

Woodloch is a great place for families. There are all different types of accommodations from hotel rooms to suites to townhomes and guest homes. You can choose no meals if you choose the homes at Woodloch Springs or have two or three meals at the accommodations at the Pines location. We chose a 3 bedroom house which had a master bedroom with bath, a kitchen, living room, dining room and ½ bath on the first floor. The second floor had two bedrooms and a bath. There was a two car garage with an added bonus of a ping pong table. We are big ping pong players but there was so much to do at Woodloch that we didn’t’ have time to play. The kitchen was well stocked and the living room had games, books and movies. We did have a little problem getting the heating right for the three bedrooms, but on the other hand, we never called maintenance to fix it. I'm sure they would have helped us if we had asked.

Woodloch had every imaginable activity. For the kids they had an amazing indoor playground (Woodloch Forest), a great pool complex perfect for small children, bumper cars, bumper boats, go carts, petting zoo, pony rides, arts and crafts room, mini golf, game rooms, toddler room and supervised special activities for two to six year olds. In addition, there is golf, zip lining, a rifle range, shuffleboard, bocce ball, paddle boats, sightseeing boats, etc. In the summer there is an outdoor pool, a small beach and additional water sports. There are also many snow activities in the winter. Most everything is included in the price (zip line, rifle range and the nearby horseback riding, and golf are extra).

In addition to activities that are available most of the day, there are special activities such as Name that Tune, Cupcake Wars, Trivia, Family Feud, etc. throughout the day. At night there is entertainment for both children and adults. Babysitting services are available. If you don’t want to leave your room/home for the evening performances, you can view it on television which is what we did. What we saw of it (the music part) was a little corny and we were so exhausted from the day time activities we never made it to the adult comedy show.

The staff is friendly, informative and fun. It is a well run family operation. Woodloch is not a fancy luxurious resort, but a down-to-earth, clean, friendly, well-organized family-oriented establishment. For those that want “fancy” there is the Woodloch Lodge which is the spa resort that allows you to use the Woodloch facilities. It’s gorgeous if you like spas.

We were a group of 6 adults and two children. It was nice to have the house where we could have some quality together time. Now we want to make this a regular event and possibly expand the group to include other family members. In any case, we will be back.

Room Tip: Guest homes (2 and 3 bedroom homes) are located at Woodloch Springs which is about 3 miles from the...
1 Thank Want2travelallaround
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawley
Comfort Inn Pocono Lakes Region
Cove Haven Resort
Cove Haven Resort
#1 of 2 in Lakeville
Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center

Been to Woodloch Pines Resort? Share your experiences!