“Hidden Gem! Great Family Resort!”

Woodloch Pines Resort
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Hawley
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 12 November 2013

GREAT FAMILY VACATION SPOT!!

Wow! What a great surprise! Woodloch Pines Resort is such a gem, I can't believe we didn't hear about it sooner! The icing on the cake is that it's within driving distance of our home in NJ - no airfare - what a bonus! LOVED that the meals were included and the food was VERY GOOD! The homemade baked goods, which appear at each meal, are wonderful - now I understand why everyone was placing orders 'to go' for when they checked out!

Here's the breakdown - we were four total, two adults and two 9-year olds:

~Accommodations - we were in a one-bedroom suite in the Springside building. All rooms have a lake view (right on the lake!). Bedroom has 2 queen sized beds - and THANK YOU for having comfortable beds! The best beds we've had at a family resort! The attached 'living room' (separated by a door), has a pull-out couch and love seat. Two TVs and two full baths. Mini refrigerator, porch, Perfect. Clean, updated, and overall a great room. This building is centrally located to pretty much everything - with a short walk to most facilities, venues, etc.

~Food - since it's included, you should know that it's good! Selections at every meal, kids choices at every meal, great desserts (at lunch & dinner). You pay for alcohol, or bring your own and store in the refrigerator in your room We had the 3 meal plan, but I hear you can do 2 meals a day and receive a 10% discount. Honestly, 2 meals might be enough - I felt like I was on a cruise and all we did was eat. Meals are served during specific windows - so if you like to eat early/late, you might be out of luck. Table service or buffet; tons of servers. My kids think this is the best restaurant ever because you got served so quickly. Everything was tasty!

~Activities - tons of stuff for the kids, and adults, to do - but let's be real, it's about keeping the kids busy and entertained. Aside from the outdoor activities (i.e., go carts, batting cage, rock climbing wall, paddle boats, mini-golf, etc) there are TONS of indoor games and activities. We loved the Woodloch Horse Races and my daughter has now turned into a bingo diva. Real money can be won, which makes it more exciting! At times, it felt like there was too much stuff to do all at the same time - so it was necessary to manage time and be on a schedule (...schedule?!?!? No schedule, I'm on vacation!). For many events, the kids need to be supervised, or maybe it was just me - but I felt like all I did was usher my kids around the resort from one activity to the next. I was completely beat by 4pm each day - having been on the run with them each day from breakfast (8:30). I would LOVE if they had a kids program similar to Club Med - this was a huge hit with our family as the kids could be with other kids having a great time doing all the games & activities (supervised by a Group Leader), but Mom and Dad could also do their thing...relax, golf, spa, etc. Surprisingly, Dad DID manage to get in 18 holes at the Woodloch course and said it was very nice. Not surprisingly, Mom did NOT get in a visit to their world renowned spa - as I was running around with the kids all day. As they get older, I'm guessing they can do some stuff on their own; however, there did seem to be some activities that required a parent or guardian to be present. My favorite activity was the pontoon boat ride of the lake, I could have stayed on that all day! I thought we'd spend more time at the indoor pool, but the kids were too busy with all the activities. One night time visit was all we could fit in. The pool, Jacuzzi and splash area all looked nice. Only my daughter went swimming and she said it was awesome because it was so warm (and it was 45 degrees outside). The outdoor pool was covered, but the pictures look awesome.

~Service - Extraordinary. Excellent. Everyone was very service oriented, pleasant, and went out of their way to make sure we were having a good time. I LOVE that this is a family owned/operated resort and there are members of the family at EVERY meal welcoming you into the dining room and visiting tables to hear from everyone. Nice touch - great service!

~Entertainment - We went to three of the evening shows (shows/entertainment every night). The Saturday night show was a big musical show and I was really impressed. Sets & costumes were much better than I would have imagined, performances were very good. We all enjoyed it. Some of the shows didn't start until after 8 which was pushing it for our kids, but they made it...barely.

This is a four season resort, we were there in Fall which was beautiful. Crisp, but gorgeous. I'm sure summer is phenomenal since the resort is right on the lake and there are lots of swimming docks, slides, boats, etc. I liked the off-season feel of the resort, it was crowded on the weekend, but it cleared out on Sunday after lunch. Many fewer guests on Monday & Tuesday, but I hear it starts picking up again the closer you get to Friday.

Off-season is much more reasonable than holiday weekends or summer. This trip was about HALF of what I was quoted for President's Day Weekend last year. If you plan to go, choose your time wisely - but know that you'll have a great time!

We will be back! Thanks Woodloch!

Room Tip: Be prepared to walk - the resort isn't huge and there is transportation, but it's easy to wa...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Woodloch, Owner at Woodloch Pines Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Dear SouthJerseyTwinMom,

Thank you for taking the time and writing your very detailed review. We always appreciate any feedback we receive from our guests. The ability to get to Woodloch on a tank of gas is a huge advantage since you don't have to worry about the added cost of purchasing airfare and lost time due to travel. Once you get on property, you can jump right into the activities!

The Edgewater Suite in Springbrook is a good option for families due to the addition of a second bathroom and the proximity to the dining room and pool complex. We are also delighted to see that your family had a lot of options to choose with respect to the activities. While we do not have a kids camp, we do offer very affordable babysitting services which can be obtained while you are on property. The babysitters are able to take the children around to the various activities just in case you need a break or want to get away to the spa!

Thank you for sharing your review, and we cannot wait to see you again!

Reviewed 12 November 2013

I went here with my family and all i can say is WOW!!!!! The people that work here will bend over backwards to make sure your stay is the best that it can be. The guest rooms are Big and Clean, the food is amazing and there are plenty of activates to keep you busy if that is what you want to do. I will definitely be going back here again!!!!!!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear gma2566,

Thank you! Our staff aims to make sure your stay is the best it can be, and we want to do everything within our power to accomplish that. Thank you for sharing your review and we hope to see you again in the very near future!

Reviewed 10 November 2013

Woodloch is the best of the best. Very clean, great food, caring helpful staff. Many of the staff have been there for over twenty years. We started going there in the late 80's and have only missed two years since then. We go in the fall when the folage is spectacular. The management is family and keep adding to the facility every year. Always something to do and the evening entertainment is outstanding. If you go, tell Randy we sent you.

Room Tip: Greenbriar overlooking the lake is super.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bill572

Dear Bill572,

Thank you for choosing Woodloch as your vacation destination for all of these years! We constantly aim to improve every guest's stay, and are always looking for new things to add or expand upon. We sincerely hope that you have found each of your stays different (in a good way) and better than the last. Thank you so much for sharing your review!

Reviewed 9 November 2013

This is my first time ever writing a review for Trip Advisor. Woodloch was so special, I just had to!
My family (consisting of 3 children ages 6, 9 and 11) just returned from a fantastic vacation at Woodloch. We stayed 3 nights over "New Jersey Week". Our accommodations were clean, spacious, and we had a beautiful view of the lake and property. We stayed in the Mountain Laurel complex and we would definitely request to stay there again. It was perfect for our family of 5.

The activities were beyond fun and entertaining. We played Family Feud, Precisely Right (Woodloch's version of The Price is Right), Cupcake Wars, Bingo and Horse Racing. All the games were professionally done- right down to the replica Price is Right wheel. We also participated in the Scavenger Hunt and Scarecrow Contest. Everything was so entertaining and so well done. The staff really gets into all the activities and the enthusiasm is contagious. We loved Joey, Larry and Jorge!

We were fortunate enough to be able to attend the last haunted hayride of the season. They recommended it for children 10 and up. We were glad we followed their advice. It was super scary, with great effects and wonderful performances by the staff. (Our youngest stayed with other relatives during the hayride). We LOVED it, but my throat hurt from screaming so much!

We had a package that included two meals per day (breakfast and dinner). Breakfast was good, each morning there were warm baked goods on the table- they were delicious and plentiful. They offered fresh fruit, cold and hot cereals and eggs all most any way. The hot chocolate was very good and became a morning tradition. My only area of our entire trip which could be improved upon is the dinner. The food was fair. There were a variety of options, but not the best quality. The desserts after dinner were good- ice-cream sundaes, mud pie, jello- yum! We took advantage of the deli in the general store on site and ordered sandwiches every day for lunch. They were very good.

Woodloch is truly a special place that offers fun activities the entire family can participate in together. I don't think there is another place like it. Our family rated this vacation a 9 out of 10. The only reason it wasn't a 10 was because of the quality of food at dinner. However, that did not take away from our experience. It really was a magical time. We will treasure our memories and look forward to making more. We will definitely be back!!!!

2  Thank rachelcash

Dear rachelcash,

Thanks for writing your first TripAdvisor review about us! It's great to see you enjoyed your Mountain Laurel accommodations, and that your family took advantage of the many activities Joey and the rest of the Social Staff design for our guests. They definitely know how to get our guests engaged and laughing! The Haunted Hayride is another great Woodloch tradition that we are proud to share with our guests. Many months of preparation culminate in a production that is both scary and hilarious, and every year we try to top the year before.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding our food options. We constantly aim to improve and expand our menu selections, and your comments are greatly appreciated as we attempt to accommodate many different tastes and opinions.

Thank you once again, and we hope to see you and your family again!

Reviewed 8 November 2013

There is something for everyone. Archery was a great addition to the day. The food is the greatest and it is served family style. The staff is just like your family. They are fun and entertaining. My children love the go cars and Basketball knock out game. Winning a Trophy is just the icing on the cake..

Room Tip: if you go in the winter stay in the springs.. That is where the indoor pool is,
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Karen A

Dear Karen A,

Thank you for your review! Archery was our newest addition this past summer, and it has been a great hit with our guests! We aim to have it available year round, even in the winter. We are happy to see that your kids enjoyed the various activities offered. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed 7 November 2013

Stayed here with my husband and 2 boys (6 and 9) the first weekend in November. We all had an amazing time! Everything was extremely clean and organized and beautifully maintained at all times. There was so much to do every day from morning until very late in the evening and you could be as busy or as lazy as you wanted. We did lots of activities such as bumper cars, bumper boats, go carts, mini golf, bingo, row boating on the lake, paddle boating on the lake, biking, and hiking trails (and that's just the outdoor stuff!). We also played bingo, saw some families playing family feud, played "horse racing", watched a broadway style show, comedy show, and went to the game room! The staff was very accommodating, friendly, and very polite. The bottom line is, there is lots to do and it was fun for all of us!
Now, my main reason for writing this review is to commend Woodloch Pines for their amazing accommodation of my son's food allergy (nuts and peanuts). During our stay, the kitchen staff and wait staff were extremely diligent when it came to making sure my son's food was allergen free. For every meal, our server already knew that we had a "food allergy" at our table and right away, would inform us if there were any items on the menu that he couldn't have. There was a paper printout on our table at every meal with a list of foods to avoid. They also would make sure the bread for our table was hand cut rather than put through the kitchen bread slicer as to not contaminate it with nuts that may have been on other breads. If my son wanted ice cream for dessert, they opened up a new container of ice cream to make sure there was no cross contamination of other ice creams that contained nuts that the communal scooper had already scooped into. This was all so comforting to us! We will definitely be returning to Woodloch again, and hopefully we'll be able to bring some friends next time!

2  Thank JS1224

Dear JS1224,

Thank you for sharing your review with the TripAdvisor community. We try to provide families with many different options when it comes to activities, meals, and evening entertainment. We take great care in ensuring that the whole family is able to take advantage of our meals when it comes to allergies, and aim to provide peace of mind at meal times. We are so glad that your family was able to vacation with us without any concerns, and that you were able to take advantage of the many things offered the first weekend in November. We cannot wait until you can vacation with us again, and hope to be able to meet your friends!

Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed here with our three kids (ages 5, 9 & 12) Our kids LOVED all the activities!! I especially appreciated the Haunted Hay Ride (really well done- I screamed and laughed the whole ride).
Our room was great. (Nothing glamorous but super comfortable) We had two double beds and a pull out couch so we all had somewhere to sleep. We had two bathrooms and so much closet space. We stayed in Springbrook. It was walking distance from the Dining Hall and all of the activities. We had a beautiful view of the lake and could walk indoors to where the pool was.
I also want to say that if anyone has a special diet, the staff will bend over backwards to help. Two of my kids need to have a gluten free diet. Before we went up there I called and was put in touch with Jamie from Dining Services. She was SO helpful and together (via email) we created a gluten free menu for the kids (for every meal) She appeared at every meal to make sure everything was ok. We felt great knowing the kids could eat the same foods as the other kids and we didn't have to worry. And we didnt have to pack our own food (which is a pain!)
This place (IMO) is more fun if you come with a group, like a family reunion. So many of the activities are tailored to large groups. (Some of it is cheesy, but the good kind of cheesy!) Plus there really is alot to interest all ages. Overall nice experience. Liked that north lodge had a DJ and music Sat night. We also took advantage of the babysitting by calling the front desk. Babysitter was professional and great with our kids and reasonably priced! Def recommend for those with small kids that want to relax with adults in the evening!

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank msw7

Dear msw7,

The Haunted Hayride has become a huge Halloween tradition here at Woodloch, and every year it only gets better! It's good to see that you enjoyed it and the many other activities that are offered on a daily basis. We have many families that come through our doors that have special dietary requests, and we always want to ensure that families can dine with us with no stress or fear. We thank you for your recommendation, and cannot wait to see you again!

& The Entire Woodloch Family

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawley
Greshams Lake View Motel
#1 of 2 in Lakeville
Ledges Hotel
Ledges Hotel
#3 of 7 in Hawley

Been to Woodloch Pines Resort? Share your experiences!