“Nice getaway but not super healthy food” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Lodge at Woodloch

and 1 more site!
The Lodge at Woodloch
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Hawley
“Nice getaway but not super healthy food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

Pros:
- nice relaxing getaway close to nyc
- nice spa and good massages
- you can stay all day in your white robe
- nice and friendlz staff

Cons:
- I was expecting higher quality food for the money
- food is surprisingly not healthy and quite fatty
- quite expensive place for what you get

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
woodlochlodge, Manager at The Lodge at Woodloch, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Dear Bootstrapper,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed many elements of your stay, especially our friendly staff, spa facilities and treatments, and our proximity to your home in New York City. I am sorry to hear that you found the food to be unhealthy and fatty. I would like to point out that we do use olive oil in our food preparation, but we use very little fat, if any. Our Chef does not use dairy products such as creamers or butter in the dishes we offer, and is very conscious of the healthy living lifestyle behind many of our guests' choices to stay with us at The Lodge at Woodloch. Also, while our rates are higher than some hotels that simply offer a room, I would like to emphasize for other readers that all of our rates include accommodations, 3 gourmet meals daily, full use of all spa and fitness facilities, lodge amenities and services including wireless internet, coffee/tea, daily newspapers, valet parking, twice daily housekeeping service, and fruit and snacks throughout the spa. We also include a wide variety of classes, outdoor activities, and special presentations to choose from during your stay. Thank you again for your feedback; We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back in the future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
Hillsborough, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

This is the 2nd time I have been to Woodloch. I must say it is even better than the 1st. Usually by the 2nd time you find something not as good but I can honestly say it met all my needs beautifully. The entire facility is spotless, everyone who works there is completely at your service, they are never without a smile(hard to do with the varied guests they serve), the classes were great given there were many levels of fit guests, the food was ample and healthfully prepared but not like eating cardboard, many areas you can truly relax in,it was a beautiful experience that I look forward to doing again. My friends and I have actually talked of staying longer next time. The other thing that was great was many of the servers, exercise instructors and spa employees were the same as last year. That tells me that this is not a place thats just pretty on the outside but that they have true heart. I actually was scheduled with the same person from last year for one of my services. He was fantastic so I was very pleased to see he was still there. The only negative I can say is the liquor prices are high. I am thankful to have it available but it is priced out of line with the rest of the facility.

Room Tip: I have stayed in both sides. Both offer lovely views, one of a beautiful rock fountain and the other...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Potomac, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

Loved my stay at Woodlch! Excellent service, good food, wonderful spa! The most relaxing getaway! I even took a watercolor paint class which was terrific. Went with a girlfriend, we shared a room. Neither of us ever showered in the room as the spa locker room was very nice with private showers. Enjoyed the guitar singers at dinner! The whisper lounge is a great quiet place to relax and read or take a nap. Don't bother signing up for the cooking demos as they arent very interesting at least not compared to other cooking demos I've been to. But do sign up for the wine tasting! You will learn something new I'm sure and taste wines from a specific region. Can't wait to return next year! One more big bonus t hat I loved, wearing a bath robe to breakfast! Stayed 4 nights, it was the perfect amount of time!

Room Tip: Request a room facing the lake!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
woodlochlodge, Manager at The Lodge at Woodloch, responded to this review, 23 March 2012
Dear Beth L,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your relaxing getaway here at The Lodge at Woodloch. It sounds like you were able to enjoy a lot of activities while you were here; it is great to hear that wearing your bathrobe to breakfast was a highlight! We certainly want you to make yourself at home and feel relaxed during your entire stay. I am sorry that you were disappointed with the cooking demo. We would certainly love some additional feedback as to why it wasn't as interesting for you as others you have participated in. Please feel free to reach out to me directly if you are so inclined. Thank you for choosing The Lodge at Woodloch; we can't wait to welcome you back again.
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

Woodloch
 My husband and I spent two days at this destination spa. I always read reviews before going anywhere and I must say there was truth to both the positive and negative reviews.
The review about everything being small. I might have to agree with this. We stayed during the week and could easily see the pool and quiet areas becoming overly crowded.
The food was very good, but not satisfying. Does that make sense? They offer two appetizers. You could order both if you really wanted. They are extremely small. The entrees were on the smaller side, but not so small that I would make a fuss over it. The desserts were small as well.
My problem with the food service in general is that once you finish dinner, there is absolutely no choice of food until breakfast.
Room service being extended until the wee hours of the morning would be a nice touch.  How about a vending machine with some snacks? My husband and I really had the munchies at about 10pm one night and literally went hunting for some of those 'nuts' they offer in the quiet rooms. But they took everything away. I agree the snacks during the day should be more plentiful. Even at the spa.

I enjoyed my body polish and massage immensely. I've been to the Hershey spa and think this service was much better than Hershey's. At Hershey, they massage you with the exfoliant while you are laying on the table which is coated with a plastic sheath, and after the scrub, they rinse you down while you are laying on the sheath. It's not very comfortable. Here, after the scrub, you step into the shower and wash yourself off. You then lay on the massage table for your massage. A much better idea, in my opinion.
If I could improve one thing about my treatment it would be for them to heat the massage tables, or at least place heated towels over you while you are getting scrubbed/massaged.
My hands and feet were freezing, especially after the shower.

The rooms were nice. I can't put my finger on what it was that didn't give the rooms that 'luxury' feel. The hallways looked like they could have been a Days Inn. Maybe it was the wallpaper? Not sure. They were nice, don't get me wrong... There were nice touches that I enjoyed (the filtered bathroom water, the flat screen TV)

The staff all seemed very nice and eager to please.

We took an art class as well. The art studio was a joke. It was a rectangular room with a table that sat about 7 people.  I could not see the instructor's easel from my seat.
The instructor was a pretty funny character. Very nice, knowledgable , and approachable. My only complaint was that he spent the first 15 minutes of the class talking about his family and how he found his way into art. While I enjoyed his stories very much, I would have liked to have that extra 15 minutes to work on my project. Some areas were cut a bit short. I would definitely recommend taking one of his classes. Just arrive early enough that you get one of the better seats.

The property is beautiful. I'd love to visit during the spring or summer.
Oh, one more thing. Bring your own soap/shower gel. The soap there was horrible. We itched all night from dryness and we moisturizer heavily. Very drying soap.

• Stayed February 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
woodlochlodge, Manager at The Lodge at Woodloch, responded to this review, 24 March 2012
Dear missphilly,

Thank you very much for your recent review. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your treatments, our wide variety of classes, and the service that our staff provides. We do hope that you come back during the Spring or Summer to see the Lodge in a new season! Regarding your concerns about the "smallness" of spaces and meal portions, as a destination spa with only 57 rooms, we have designed the property to provide more of an intimate feeling. Even on busy weekends, we don't find that the pool and retreat areas become overcrowded. Keeping in line with the destination spa environment, our smaller meal portions and limited snacks have been created intentionally to cater to guests seeking a healthier, less indulgent experience. We are however, working on increasing food availability later into the evening and even overnight. I am sorry that you had a reaction to the soap we provide. We have chosen the Essentiel Elements product line by Gilchrist and Soames because it is 100% natural, containing pure botanicals and vegetable-derived oils. Unfortunately, it isn't possible to know how your skin will react until you use a certain product, but we are glad to provide an alternative for you when you return in the future. On a final note, I will speak with our art class instructor to make sure that all attendees have full view of his easel during every class. We truly appreciate your feedback, and use it to continuously improve the guest experience. Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay, and for choosing The Lodge at Woodloch.
NJ, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

My wife and I booked 2 nights at the Lodge for our first getaway without our 15 month-old. We wanted to go somewhere within 2 hours, and someplace that offered us a spa-like retreat experience. The Lodge definitely met our expectations. The customer service was impeccable - the staff is friendly, helpful and did whatever they could to make us feel at home. The food was good and overall seemed healthy, although we were disappointed (given our impression that the resort focused on healthy vacationing) to learn that the cooking demonstration we signed up for was to bake cookies. The activities were good as well; Maryanne was a great instructor (yoga & aqua training). The spa services were great, and it was one of the best massages I've had. The only disappointing things about the spa facilities are the 'Whisper Lounge', which almost seemed like an afterthought when you see the rest of the spa facilities, and the absence of lounge chairs in the pool area. The resort - guest rooms, common areas, grounds, etc - was well maintained and very clean. We were somewhat concerned about the comfort of the beds, based on other reviews, but the bed was OK - I wouldn't say it was extremely comfortable, but it wasn't uncomfortable either. All in all.....while not a cheap getaway, we feel the Mid-Week Magic promotion made it worthwhile.

Room Tip: While the 1st floor rooms offer a view of the lake, they seem somewhat dungeoness as the sun shines...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear NJ2anywhere,

Thank you for your recent review. We always appreciate when guests take the time to write about their stay; direct guest feedback is the most important kind we can possibly receive. Thank you for commenting on our impeccable service; we have instilled a sense of empowerment in our staff, and they do a wonderful job of making sure that every guest has a positive experience here at The Lodge. It is also great to hear that your massage was one of the best you have ever had! I will certainly pass on your feedback regarding the cooking demo to our Executive Chef. Starting in April, our Class and Activity Schedule will also indicate which days of the week we are offering baking demos versus cooking demos. This has been done in in an attempt to cater to both interests. On a final note, we don't have lounge chairs around the indoor pool, but last summer we expanded our outdoor deck, so during the warmer months we have plenty of space for lounging outside (beverage service is being offered as well). We truly look forward to welcoming you back to The Lodge in the future. It was a pleasure having you as our guest.
Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

My husband and I just returned from a 2 night stay at The Lodge at Woodloch. We simply can not say enough about how wonderful it was! The service was top notch, from the valet to the front desk, waitstaff; everyone was amazing! The room was very nice and comfortable, but we spent such little time there! There was so much to do! We had a blast taking classes (all wonderful!!), walking around the grounds, enjoying the pool and hot tubs, and socializing with the very friendly guests. The food was Amazing! We live just outside of NYC and have eaten at many great restaurants and can honestly say the food was as good or better!
We had the best time and are looking forward to going again soon

Room Tip: We had a junior suite which was great, but I wouldnt spend extra money on an upgrade, as you barely...
1 Thank njtravels1
Westfield, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

From the moment you enter the door and through our entire 2 day stay we felt thoroughly taken care of. The room was lovely, meals were good and the spa was wonderful. Classes were generally good. We would definitely return.

1 Thank Susan C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawley
Hotel Fauchere
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,526 reviews
Ledges Hotel
Ledges Hotel
#3 of 7 in Hawley

Been to The Lodge at Woodloch? Share your experiences!