“Disappointed-sorry to say”

The Lodge at Woodloch
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Hawley
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I have just returned from my 7th visit to The Lodge at Woodloch. I have always considered this to be a four star destination but my recent vacation has changed my mind. I think that some things have begun to slip a bit.

With that said, the positives first:

Our room was very nice. The service in the Spa and Ladies lounge remain outstanding; polite and very courteous. Received terrific tension tamer/deep muscle massages from Rhonda, Stephanie and Jude.

Took the terrarium class: and absolutely loved it! What a great addition to the schedule.

The resurfacing of the infinity pool on the sun deck was gorgeous; very nice choice of tile colors.

The additions of the glass doors and patio to the art studio were also a beautiful improvement.

“Happenings At The Lodge” another great idea.

Hammocks in random locations-fabulous and very enjoyable

Now the not so great:

I remain baffled at the price of liquor; a glass of wine in particular. The beverage menu explains that 18% gratuity and taxes have been added and included in the cost. However, when you check out the charge is listed on the final bill with another 18% and all taxes added to it again. Actually, we are more than overcharged.

Seriously, charging for S’mores! Shame on you. There are guests that are paying a premium for their rooms and now they are nickeled and dime?

I participated in Behind the Scenes: Farm to Table. Very interesting and thoroughly enjoyed it. I think that guests are misled into thinking that the produce grown is included in our meals; which it is not. A huge opportunity is being missed here. Why not have a food prep class, why not make your own pesto, why not a flower arranging class, why not grill and use fresh produce from the farm? There is power out there-could have a real farm to table experience. Set up a nice farm table; go ahead and charge extra-it would be worth. Do a wine tasting out there. Just so much you could do.

The most unexplainable and least easy to understand is the raw chicken that I was served on Tuesday evening. Absolutely inexcusable. Not even home cooks can make that mistake. I returned my dinner; told the service person that it was raw; Chef never came out to apologize-no, nothing from him. My friend’s meal was served; she ate alone; then my meal came out and I ate alone. An example of poor service and interest in the product served.

Wednesday evening a young couple was seated next to us: she is pregnant and a vegetarian; the Chef refused (as in would not do it) to make her anything to eat other than the sides that were being presented that evening. 5 tables were occupied; the kitchen should have been able to handle this. Frankly, I find little excuse for this.

Service in the restaurant is uneven and not timed very well. Desserts and coffee not served together. Dirty plates remains at lunch. Definitely enough staff; as three of them were at the hostess station chatting.

May want to reconsider bikes on the paved walking path; was almost run over by a guy biking very fast around a corner; and also someone fell off the bike and staff had to come out with the golf cart thing to pick them up.

You employ one the best instructors on the East Coast; MaryAnn and yet she teaches two days-why?

I am hopeful that these problems are just a blip on the radar and will be remedied.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Margaret D
Lindsey B, Manager at The Lodge at Woodloch, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Dear Margaret D,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us regarding your recent visit to the Lodge. More importantly thank you for being such a loyal guest of ours. I was glad to hear that overall you enjoyed your accommodations, the service of our Spa team and the improvements we have made to our property. We appreciate the opportunity to have you with us. Please accept my apologies for the issues you experienced during your recent visit. I wanted to briefly address some of those issues.

The 18% gratuity is added to your accommodation charge nightly to handle gratuities for the valet, housekeeping and dining room servers. The gratuity that is added to your bar tab and spa services is separate from the above and not combined. The service charge you see on the bottom of your invoice was only added to your accommodation charge and not to your miscellaneous charges.

I am glad that you enjoyed the Behind the Scenes Farm to Table tour. We strive to provide a true farm to table experience. Our Chefs and our Gardener take great pride in this initiative and we have plans to expand the garden and incorporate more fresh farm grown items into our menus.

I discussed your poultry dish with our chef. That night’s menu featured Petit Poulet. Since the Petit Poulet is essentially a whole roasted chicken it still contains veins and bloodlines that will affect the color of the meat during the cooking process. Following food safety and sanitation guidelines we cook all of our poultry to 165 degrees before serving it to our guests.

In further discussions with our Chef and Restaurant Manager they assured me that the young couple seated next to you was offered four options that were not on that evening’s menu in an effort to satisfy their dietary needs.

Thank you again for providing your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Lodge for your 8th visit!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,207)

Reviewed 8 October 2013

I love it here. Exactly what you might be looking for, a beautiful setting and peace and quiet. The food is unbelievable, the spa services are great and the lodge itself is gorgeous. Everyone is so nice and helpful. I just stayed for 2 nights here and enjoyed the much needed quiet time. I have been here twice and now plan to make this place a twice yearly escape from the hectic life at home. Thanks Woodloch for having such a beautiful place nestled in the woods.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Dear gail b,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to The Lodge at Woodloch. We are so happy to hear you were able to find the peace and quiet you were looking for during your stay. Our staff works hard to ensure our guests can find retreat from the hustle and bustle of day to day life here at The Lodge. We are looking forward to seeing you back soon!

Reviewed 7 October 2013

Classes in meditation, yoga, kayaking, biking, art classes, fly fishing, belly dancing, spa, great food, wonderful wine, incredible surroundings. What is not to like!! Even though we only live an hour away it was a true retreat! An added bonus was my husband learning yoga for his first time by a 95 visiting yoga master. A must do!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the lake
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear LaurieD84,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay here at The Lodge at Woodloch. We are so happy to hear you enjoyed all of our activities and classes we offer to our guests. It is especially nice to hear you and your husband were able to spend time with our special presenter Tao Porchon-Lynch. We do our best to provide all our guests with memorable encounters like this. We are looking forward to having you back again soon!

Reviewed 7 October 2013

We spent 3 nights at the spa and it was wonderful. We were 3 sisters, our 83 year old mother and niece. We each had a spa service everyday. The place is beautiful and the food is delicious. We each did different things during the day like working out, arts & crafts, walking the grounds, hanging at the hot tub. Everyone loved it. This was our 3rd time here and we will be back.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Pamelarosa,

Thank you for your review of your family's recent stay at The Lodge at Woodloch. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed and took full advantage of all the various activities we provide for our guests. Thank you for your continued patronage of our property, we look forward to having you all stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

We visited the Spa last weekend. A group of 10 friends/family celebrated one of our family member's 50th bday. We had an amazing time. Loved the food and the faccilities really offer everything you can think of to relax and simply enjoy yourself.
The only thing that I didn't like was the "Cranial Sacral" treatment I booked. The girl spent literally 30 minutes standing by different parts of my body barely touching me - trying to "transmit energy" to me or something. When I was hoping for an hour massage of my head and neck. i was so dissapointed that when i couldnt take it anymore, i just told her that i wanted to end the treatment because it was making me very inpatient. She offered to give me a scalp massage fo r the last 20 minutes (which was more like 15 min.and not very impressive) I felt that was a total waste of my money. I was hoping to get reinbursed or a different treatment when I complained but that wasn't the case.
In addition, two of my friends had pedicures which were a tipycal $25.00 or so pedicure at the cost of $95.00 - totally overpriced. There was nothing special about it.
Other than that our experience was delightful. We would definetely do it again and stay one more day.

Room Tip: Choose the room opposite of the "lake view" - on the first floor. We were in 5 different r...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Just returned from a three night stay the Lodge. The spa services were top rate. The food (loved the quinoa pancakes) was delicious and the staff very friendly. The ambiance was wonderful and just what I needed to recuperate from a tough few months and illnesses. My room included a a lovely balcony and was facing the woods. Everyone on staff at the Lodge was very friendly, accommodating and professional. Will defintely return.

Room Tip: I like the rooms with the view of the woods.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

EmilyGug-

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your thoughts regarding your recent stay here at The Lodge. We are delighted to hear that you were able to find peace and relaxation during your recovery. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 29 September 2013

We spent 2 nights at the spa on a wonderful package price. meals were healthy and delicious. All of the staff were friendly. We were first timers for meditation, Tia chi and yoga. We brought home with us a new healthier outlook on life. Will go back again and again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CCLady5
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawley
Hampton Inn Matamoras
Cove Haven Resort
Cove Haven Resort
#1 of 2 in Lakeville
Woodloch Pines Resort

Been to The Lodge at Woodloch? Share your experiences!