“Energetic Spa Get Away!”

The Lodge at Woodloch
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Hawley
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I have stayed in the Hawley area for many years, but this year decided to treat myself to Woodloch. Yes, it IS expensive, and I had to meditate on whether to invest - but I am glad I did and on this side of my visit have to say I got true value from the spend and would go again in a heart beat! Rooms, grounds, food and service are all 4 star!! (I reserve 5 starts for heaven:-) It is very well managed and has an extensive list of actives - this is more of a place to invest in your well being in an active way than a restful respite! I took a wonderful cooking class, and invested in meditation classes and tried my hand a kayaking...meals are included and the dinner was especially nice -select an early seating and ask for a window view! The rooms are spacious and I enjoyed the forest view - however, the walls are rather thin and since the discourage cell phone usage in the common areas, I was subjected to a rather loud and chatty person in the room above. While the staff was very understanding and offered a room shift - save yourself the hassle and request a top floor when booking. The spa and pool areas (esp outside pool) were outstanding and I rate this property as 4 stars all the way! Also, well worth the drive - which is scenic!

Room Tip: Choose high level and lake/forest view
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Lindsey B, Manager at The Lodge at Woodloch, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

tbnott-

Thank you for sharing your comments! It sounds like you were truly able to enjoy all we have to offer- everything from our wonderful cooking demonstrations to our wide variety of fitness classes, there really is something for everyone. We look forward to seeing you again!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,214)

Reviewed 1 February 2014

My husband and I recently had the pleasure of staying at Woodloch two weeks ago.

It was amazing to say the least! Yes, it is extremely expensive but it is totally worth it!

Pros:
1. Front Desk- fast check-in process, extremely friendly staff across all areas of the hotel

2. Housekeeping- excellent turndown service, room was extremely clean

3. Classes- we loved the Terrarium and Watercolor classes. The teachers were awesome and taught in a very simplistic manner- which was great for us:) Nothing beats having a glass of wine while trying to get in touch with your creative side. Just be sure, if you sign up for the 'Great Wall of China' yoga class, you arrive five minutes beforehand because we were closed out :(

4. Restaurant- every meal was absolutely delicious! The first night we went to bed extremely hungry because we weren't aware you could have seconds/ a second entrée choice. The portions are super tiny, so a second entrée is almost mandatory. Loved the fresh squeezed Kale juice in the morning and the smoothies! Great selection of wine/ champagne.

5. Spa Area- the pools are amazing!! Suggest you retreat to the whisper lounge as everyone says. The locker area was extremely clean and we loved the fireplace/sitting area they had.
Since the pool area can get packed, I suggest going late at night after dinner. We had the whole place to ourselves.

Cons:
1. We had a couples Body Scrub and Deep Tissue massage and were extremely disappointed :( At about $450 for this service, you expect to have the best of the best. The therapist did not use enough pressure after I indicated I prefer a deeper pressure level. My husband said the same, we both basically felt like we were having oil gently massaged over us. I am not sure I would book another spa service because of this.

2. Room Service- we wanted a late night snack on both evenings and were left with very few choices- chocolate covered strawberries, popcorn, chips and salsa. I was expecting a little more items to choose from- smoothies, juices, light appetizers. This was a little disappointing when there were times we just wanted to stay in the room and grab a bite to eat.

3. Afternoon snacks- this was my biggest annoyance overall. Since you are unable to order food between breakfast/lunch, lunch/dinner, they provide free snacks in one of the lounges. One two occasions we came down and there was nothing! Nothing was replenished on all occasions. When you are spending $1800 for two nights, you expect a cookie at least!!

Overall, we would totally come to Woodloch again. It is a far superior establishment to Mohonk-Mountain House, which we frequent about three times a year. Being an adult only establishment was also a huge selling point for us- something that Mohonk isn't.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank thgreatalex

thegreatalex-

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your recent stay here at The Lodge! We are delighted you had such an enjoyable experience. We do apologize for those few points of mention that were not up to standard- we are currently addressing these matters. Thank you for choosing to stay with us, and we hope to have the chance to welcome you again!

Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

This place was nearly perfect from the minute we arrived, and I am usually very picky. They offer valet, or they will drive you to and from your car. However, once parked, we never left "the compound" nor did we want to.

I'm not a spa type of person, but I love all-inclusives. Only thing extra was alcohol and spa treatments. Activities were all included such as snowshoeing, cross country skiing, and cooking demos. The gym was more than adequate, with Precor equipment. I ran 6 to 11miles a day. The indoor pool was large with 2 jacuzzis. In addition, there was an outdoor jacuzzi which I sat in every night in 9 degree weather. The sauna and steam room were also included. The Men's area had a nice lounge with a TV. I did get a regular 50min massage which was well worth it. The facilities are very clean. There is a fire pit out back perfect for sitting by with a hot chocolate at night.

The food was amazing! Actually, we are still here and I decided to write this review now! I'm not the most health conscious person when it comes to food, but I was very impressed with the meals. I could not necessarily tell I was eating "healthy" food because it all tasted so great... a different spin to the usual "spa" food. Also, the portion sizes were just right. I don't know why other reviewers were complaining. You can actually order more than one entree if you are really hungry, but I felt like I was already eating all day long... Breakfast, lunch, 3pm cooking demo in chefs kitchen, 4pm snack time in the lounge, and finally dinner! My wife is gluten free, and there are many items GF. It is actually one of the main reasons we chose to come here in the first place. They are very accommodating.

Finally, the staff is very friendly. No one was rude. Everyone was relaxed. You can wear wherever you want, including your bath robe to lunch. Also, I don't want to forget to mention the live music each night at dinner. We sat by the fire tonight listening to the music till 10pm.

All in all, this was a great getaway for 4 days... our first time here but definitely not our last. I would love to come back this summer for my birthday in June and take advantage of some kayaking and biking. This is truly a 5 star resort.

If I had to make any personal suggestions, I would like some lounge chairs by the pool to lay out on and it would be nice to add a pool table or some kind of game room...

I grew up going to Big Bear Mt right nearby, but never discovered this place till now. I will recommend this place to everyone...

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Lindsey B, Manager at The Lodge at Woodloch, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

travellingdocNYC-

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts! We are so happy to hear you are enjoying your stay here. Please don't hesitate to ask if there is anything we can do to make your stay more comfortable. Enjoy the remainder of your visit, and we look forward to seeing you again for your birthday celebration!

Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

It's rare that my wife and I repeat a vacation. But we have come to the Lodge at Woodlock for 4 years in a row now. I just feel so healthy and relaxed here. Clean air, clean food, beautiful spa. Wonderful service. All inclusive except alcohol. I highly recommend if you have kids and just want 2-3 days away to reconnect.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Lindsey B, Manager at The Lodge at Woodloch, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Edward R-

How wonderful you and your wife are able to return year after year to reconnect! The Lodge certainly is a fabulous environment in which to renew relationships. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 6 January 2014

Everything about this property is superb. The rooms, the meals, the amazing pool, the even more amazing outdoor hot tub. the terrific spa treatments. You'll never find a more relaxing, beautiful and hospitable getaway. And the staff are every bit as wonderful as the facility. We vacation here twice a year. It's expensive but it's worth every penny and I can't wait to return.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Roz W
Lindsey B, Manager at The Lodge at Woodloch, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Roz W-

What wonderful comments, thank you so much! We are so happy to hear how much you enjoy your repeat stays. We are looking forward to welcoming you back!!

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Two people I know very well reported to me about their Lodge at Woodlock Springs Spa appts.

First, my friend went to have a pre natal massage for lower back tightness, she was not impressed. She has been to many massage therapists and this was her 3rd pregnancy, she was not a novice with the experience. She was 7 months pregnant at the time and not high risk. She told me the massage therapist told her a lot of what would not be done. She thought the practitioner seemed unsure and tentative. My friend came away feeling let down by the expensive treatment, and that the therapist did not have much experience or appropriate training with pre natal massage. Prenatal massage should only be offered by trained and qualified personnel.

Ok, then, another friend of mine who has been to high end spas all over the world was looking forward to a hot stone treatment after a long flight. This time the practitioner poured oil on her body directly from a bottle and wrapped stones in a towel before they we put in place. Stones are not to be wrapped in this process, evidently the massage person did not want to clean the stones between patrons. Toward the end of the massage, one of the stones was so hot, she had to ask that it be removed. She also said that the essential oils used in the treatment were not of the best quality. (she owns an essential oil business in another country). She was shocked the massage cost 200.00 for such mediocre service.

Oy, both of my friends said the facilities of the Lodge Spa are very fine, however, the staff who worked on them were lacking in skill. I smelled off putting synthetic fragrance wafting around in the waiting area. And a receptionist made a sour face when an attendant asked if there was someone available to give us a tour. All in all I was embarrassed, as I had recommended the place. All of us expected impeccable service, and it was not given. This might sound like nit picking to some....this spa should realize that many of their customers are discerning, experienced and willing to pay for quality. This spa needs rigorous training programs in place for employees. After all, bricks and mortar can only go so far, in the end, human beings make or break the Spa experience for discriminating customers.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank lavendernj

lavendernj-

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your friends' recent experiences here at The Lodge at Woodloch. We are saddened to hear that their treatments were not up to standard. The practices you described are certainly not our normal practice. Please be assured that our therapists are highly trained and certainly qualified to perform any and all of the spa treatments we offer. In the future, please don't hesitate to let us know if something is not to your liking while you are here- we would love to be able to address the problem immediately. If you or your friends would like to speak further on this matter, please feel free to contact us at 1-866-953-8500 and ask to speak with our Spa Director Nancy Deaton. We do thank you for your comments, and hope to have the chance to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

The accommodations, the meals, the spa, the activities, you name it. It is all First class, five star.
Whether sitting in the outdoor hot tub in the snow or in the whisper room or by the fireplace. The spa treatments and the classes were great. Overall everything was just wonderful.
We can't wait to return.

Room Tip: all are great
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

bruce-rhonda-

Thank you so very much for your positive comments! Here at The Lodge our staff always strives to provide a memorable and relaxing getaway for each of our guests. We are delighted you had such a fabulous time. We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawley
Hampton Inn Matamoras
Skytop Lodge
Skytop Lodge
#1 of 1 in Skytop
Woodloch Pines Resort

Been to The Lodge at Woodloch? Share your experiences!