“Wonderful Special Birthday celebration with my siblings sister I law brother in law and most of all my significant other”

The Lodge at Woodloch
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Hawley
Caldwell, New Jersey
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

So very special staff rooms classes spa treatments perfect
This was a return spa weekend for me but enhanced with family
There is so much to do and having the winter experience was great thank you all at Woodloch

• Stayed March 2014
Lindsey B, Manager at The Lodge at Woodloch, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Adelinna-

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your recent stay here at The Lodge! We are so pleased you enjoyed time away with your family, and hope to have the chance to welcome you back!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
New York City
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I was very excited for my weekend at Woodloch and left disappointed. My experience was not great and it took me a while to figure out why but I have… expectations. I expected Woodloch to be a destination spa but in reality it isn’t, it’s a resort spa. It may sound like semantics, but it makes a big difference. As a destination spa traveler (think Mii Amo, Golden Door, Canyon Ranch) I am well versed on what that experience should be. Both T&L and CN Traveler categorize Woodloch as a destination spa and I believe that is misleading. There are many wonderful things about Woodloch, but you have to go in knowing what you’re going to get in order to fully enjoy your time there.

For starters, you do not have to step foot in the spa when you stay at Woodloch. You can be a hotel guest and nothing more. The capacity at Woodloch is too high to have a relaxing experience. The travelers to Woodloch were not there for zen, the noise level at this spa and the downright rudeness of fellow spa goers was truly shocking. Talking loudly in the quiet room despite requests to stop is common. Screaming about how grateful you are to be away from your children and your dread at having to go back to them at the end of the weekend is not proper spa etiquette. Guests claim to be there for detox while sipping from cocktails. I later found out that the weekend my friend and I were at Woodloch coincided with a Gilt/Jetsetter special. Advice: avoid any weekend that has one of these specials going on.

My other issue was with dinner. You must make a reservation and dress for dinner. This is because people not staying at the resort can go to the restaurant for dinner and their needs are put ahead of overnight guests. There is no reason outside guests should be put ahead of those paying a premium to stay there. Each evening I felt like just when I was starting to relax I had to run around getting ready for dinner at my reserved time. At a destination spa you should be able to eat whenever you want in whatever you want. Also, times are not adhered to. We received our evening flyer which noted breakfast service ended at 10:00. The next morning my friend went to breakfast ahead of me at 9:30. She called me five minutes later to let me know I had to get to the dining room asap b/c they were closing the kitchen at 9:30.

The spa itself is nice. I do wish it was laid out more thoughtfully as the changing area is right in the center of the room. When guests are changing they are exposed to those in the waiting area and those entering the spa. I wasn’t upset about this, but it was obvious some women weren’t comfortable being on display.

The GOOD:
The spa treatment itself was spectacular. I had a massage. My therapist (I believe her name was Amy) was amazing. I recommend her highly.

The service at dinner was excellent. When I was torn between two entrees and asked the server for a reco she later brought me what I ordered and a small sample of the second dish I didn’t. Very much appreciated.

The grounds are lovely. The location of the spa is fantastic. It is on a beautiful lake and the mountain scenery is beautiful. The building itself is also very nice, designed like a ski chalet.

The General Manager is to be commended. My friend had a very bad experience one evening and asked to speak to him about it. He came to speak to us and was genuinely concerned. He not only said he wanted to make it right, he took action and did. I think under his leadership Woodloch will only get better.

Overall, my experience wasn’t a great one. Again, I believe I was expecting something that wasn’t aligned with what Woodloch is. There are many excellent reviews on this site, likely all well deserved. I wouldn’t advise you not to visit, just to know what to expect when you do.

Room Tip: Don't go any weekend that has gilt/jetsetter specials going on.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank mls1976
Lindsey B, Manager at The Lodge at Woodloch, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
mls1976-

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your recent stay. We do want to start off by apologizing for the disappointment you experienced during your stay. It is our intention to always provide a relaxing and rejuvenating experience for each and every one of our guests, and we apologize that this was not the case during this visit.

While the majority of our amenities are located in our 40,000 square foot spa facility, guests are able to simply enjoy a book by one of our fireplaces, or perhaps a cup of tea overlooking our beautiful lake. The ability to be as busy or as relaxed as you choose is one of the many things our guests do enjoy about our property. While we were quite busy in January with a fairly high guest count, we do offer quite a few areas throughout the property that do provide a bit of a quieter setting.

Regarding your dining experience in Tree- we are so pleased to hear you enjoyed our gourmet spa cuisine. As a point of note, dress is casual in the dining room for dinner service- we do just ask that no bathrobes are worn for dinner, as is common for breakfast and lunch services. We do seat from 5:30 PM- 8:30 PM in 15 minute intervals, but we do apologize if these times proved too constricting for the schedule you were hoping to keep.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your review, and we hope to have the chance to welcome you back!
Northern VA
Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

I would say that I am pretty critical about hotels. This place was fantastic! We were 5 girls on a 2 night trip. We all agreed that it was flawless. It was clean, sophisticated but not pretentious. The food was the biggest surprise, it was incredible! Everyone was perfectly welcoming and full of smiles. Definitely will return.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank sidney11
Sidney11-

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! We are delighted that you enjoyed your time and look forward to seeing you again soon!
Tarrytown, New York
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Beautifully appointed lodge in a lovely setting. Well-thought out and maintained facilities with the comfort of guests in mind. Numerous nooks - many with roaring fires - for lounging or conversation. Top of the line spa services including a variety of pools, waterfalls, a eucalyptus steam room, sauna - all well-tended. And the art work is outstanding. Grand for just relaxing or a full schedule. And the food is splendid. We're gathering friends to go again.

1 Thank Susan S
Susan S-

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay here, and look forward to welcoming you back!
Brooklyn
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We stayed here in March 2013 at the last minute after our honeymoon plans broke up, and now we are wrapping up a three-night stay as our 'babymoon' plans broke up. We'll surely have a soft spot for The Lodge at Woodloch for these reasons anyway, but the substance of our opinion and this review is of course about the spa's ability to relax and rejuvenate its guests. The spa succeeds, and that's why we return.

The real reason, in our opinion, to come to The Lodge at Woodloch is for the service. Having this high a level of service is relaxing in itself. The spa pours money into staff: during meals there seems to be an average of one staff member for every two, maybe three tables, so water glasses are always full, forgotten needs (lemon with said water) can be easily fulfilled, and serving of courses is excellent. Restaurants in NYC could learn from this staff.

This level of service of course is not limited to the dining area, but includes porters, reception, spa/gym, and housekeeping staff. Everyone is unfailingly polite (although some of that may just be getting away from a place where you avoid contact with passersby) and quick to be of assistance. This level of service doesn't mean that you're being pampered (I think someone else noted that if you want to be left alone, staff will leave you alone, and that is definitely true; one person's pampering is probably another person's constant confrontation with overly solicitous staff). it just means that when you have a need for something, there is always a staff member who is politely and quickly gets you what you need. This in itself makes for a great stay.

We are not true spa people (we finally got a massage, for example, and while the masseuse and masseur were excellent and the environment was relaxing, I find that in the end I appear to not be a person who gets a lot of pleasure out of spa treatments; I get as much relaxation out of finding a good chair and reading for a while), so we prefer to come when it is quiet (off-season, with a few weekdays if possible) so that we can just enjoy the experience of working out or swimming in less crowded facilities, being able to have a 'meal out' without a wait, etc., etc. I don't know whether The Lodge at Woodloch can maintain its ability to relax guests during busier times, and I don't have a lot of comparative experience at spas anyway, but I wouldn't hesitate to come back for a stay during a more 'peak' time.

The food is very good to excellent, especially considering that is it is constructed and cooked with an eye towards health, that this is an 'all-inclusive' property (which to my mind usually does not bode well), and that this is a spa. Portions are surely smaller than at restaurants, but the spa clearly pays a lot of attention to guests eating healthy and well, and this is an important part of our satisfaction. Some items/dishes are better than others, of course, but we were generally happy to very happy after our meals.

In sum, we have twice come to The Lodge at Woodloch stressed and/or exhausted, and left relaxed and rejuvenated. That's what we want from a spa, and that's why we would come back.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dont_Stop_Believin
Dont_Stop_Believin-

Thank you so much for your lovely review! We are so happy to have had a hand in turning your plans around and create such memorable and enjoyable stays. Thank you for choosing The Lodge, and we hope to have the chance to welcome you back soon!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Visiting the Lodge at Woodloch is such a special treat. This was my 5th visit, and was pleasantly surprised to have been upgraded to a junior suite because of all of my visits. I went a few times the first few years it was opened (under different management), and have now made it an annual February tradition the last 2 years.

The exercise classes are always great, and also really got a lot out of the chakra mediation class that I took for the first time.

When it comes to the food, we enjoy it every time. We love that it's considered "spa cuisine," and the portions are small, but you feel completely satisfied and healthy at the same time. I learned a lot from Chef Adam's cooking demonstration, but was also impressed with his menu options each day/night.

This was my second time taking John's watercolor class, and I look forward to it every time. Not only does he have fun stories, he convinces you that no matter how weird your piece may look as you're doing it, it will look great at the end... and it does!

Ending the night by the fire pit is a must. So relaxing!

The customer service from the dining room to the gym to the room are A++

Can't wait to come back

ihearttravel100-

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts! We are so appreciative that you chose to stay with us time after time- we hope to welcome you back again soon!
Red Bank, New Jersey
Reviewed 22 February 2014

My sister and I just got back from a peaceful couple of days at The Lodge. The service was excellent - extremely attentive and friendly, yet unobtrusive. If you want to be left alone, they leave you alone...if you need something, just ask. The setting is tranquil and the pace is nice and slow. A magical place to relax, reconnect and just BE. Food and treatments were high quality. I would highly recommend.

2 Thank char m
char m-

What lovely comments, thank you so much! We take great pride in our level of service and hospitality, and we are very happy we were able to share that with you! We hope you join us again!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawley
Hotel Fauchere
#1 of 2 in Lakeville
Silver Birches Resort
Silver Birches Resort
#4 of 7 in Hawley

Been to The Lodge at Woodloch? Share your experiences!