“Still fabulous...if you go midweek”

The Lodge at Woodloch
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Hawley
Bradley Beach, New Jersey
“Still fabulous...if you go midweek”
Reviewed 3 April 2014

It would be difficult to write this review without commenting on some really ridiculous behavior I saw on the Sunday I arrived...that definitely detracted from the "experience". The Lodge IS amazing. The facility is always sparkling, spa treatments - wonderful, classes and water features -fantastic. .The food is inspired. Everything you could hope for is there for your enjoyment.
So WHY are some women completely disturbed if they do not have their IPhone while they are in the hot tub?? Or have to stand in the shallow end of the pool with a laptop? Or make the whole point of the trip to gossip horribly about other women in their lives...loudly?
It was shocking to me on the Sunday I arrived...seeing the throngs of women arriving. Daytrippers, wedding parties... loud, rude, walking into things because they are glued to their screens. Garbage left laying around....UGH. I don't know how the wonderful staff there can stand it. The only peace and quiet to be found was in my (absolutely fabulous) room.
Then on Monday morning, all was once again right in the Woodloch world....with quiet and calm prevailing. Thankfully.
I really love Woodloch. This was my 7th visit. Its where I go when my life needs the reset button. I am dealing with a serious health issue and went there to figure things out. On Monday and Tuesday I was able to, so that was great. I just don't think I will go there again on the weekend. I have thought over the past few days about how is this Woodloch's fault? (It isn't) OR...how it can be improved. After all...its a business and they have to have a full lodge to stay in the black. Could some areas be dedicated quiet areas (like the whisper lounge)? Could some areas have timed periods of quiet? That might be hard to enforce, but sometimes a sign can do a lot. Is it even SAFE to have electronics in pools? Could a rule be made about no Iphones and computers in the pools and hot tubs? It seems CRAZY...but there were many people doing it. It wasn't an isolated one or two guests.
It really says a lot to me about the direction the human race is headed in...BUT...that is an opinion for another site! I still really love Woodloch and the fresh perspective I get when I visit. I am sure I will continue to love it..... on Mondays through Fridays.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are beautiful, clean and welcoming.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank samdanmom
Lindsey B, Manager at The Lodge at Woodloch, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
samdanmom-

Thank you for taking the time to post your review! You are correct, our weekends do tend to be a bit busier with day spa guests and bridal parties that come in to receive hair and make up services. Please accept our apologies on behalf of any guests that may have put a damper on your Sunday. We are delighted, however, to hear that you enjoyed the many amenities we have to offer, as well as our breathtaking property. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Every time I have been at the Lodge at Woodloch, I leave feeling pampered and refreshed. I recommend this as a retreat or a rejuvenating experience. The hotel is comfortable, the meals exquisite, and the spa services are the best!! My only beef is the inattention to dietary restrictions or food allergies. If you have a food allergy, please call ahead and let them know. That is what I have to do, but you will still need to remind them every meal and check your plate carefully. The foods I am allergic to showed up on my plate 3 times in a 2 night stay, in spite of my calling ahead, reminding them on check-in and reminders before each and every meal. Otherwise, this is one super sweet place for rest, relaxation and rejuvenation.

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking at the lake
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank BambiLaFawn
BambiLaFawn-

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments! We do apologize for the oversights regarding your food allergies- our Food and Beverage team, along with the Kitchen staff, take great care in properly preparing dishes when handling a food allergy, and our sincerest apologies for letting you down on this occasion. We are very pleased to hear you did enjoy your stay overall, and hope to have the chance to welcome you back again!
Yardley, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 April 2014

My sisters brought me to this resort for my 50th birthday and it did not disappoint. We had the best time. I read some of the negative reviews and I have to say that I totally disagree with all of them. We only stayed one night but arrived at 9am on our arrival date and stayed until 6pm on our departure date so we really had 2 full days to use the facilities. The place is immaculate, all amenities are available anywhere you need them and always refilled in a timely manner. The staff was constantly cleaning and picking up. The classes are great! All instructors are friendly and the entire staff is very helpful. Food was very good as well, with choices if you wanted to stay healthy and options for some indulgence. Wine seemed pricey at dinner, but we brought our own. You can't bring your own into the dining room but we sat fireside before dinner and the staff was very willing to open our bottle and provide us with glasses. My facial was amazing and I loved the whisper room. There was always fresh fruit, trail mix, coffee and a large tea selection available anytime throughout the resort. It was extremely peaceful and we felt that we had lost touch with the outside world for 2 days. Will definitely return!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank JRFC50
JRFC50-

Happy Birthday! It sounds like you had a fantastic birthday celebration, and were able to take advantage of the myriad of activities we offer here on property. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back soon!
WASHINGTON, DC
Reviewed 26 March 2014

My sister and I visited this resort for her b-day. From the moment we entered the property we felt like we left all our cares back home.

The activities were fun, the food was great and the only complaint I have is that I wish I had stayed longer!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
tlmjdoit-

We are delighted that you had such a memorable time here at The Lodge at Woodloch! We look forward to your return trip, and be sure to take advantage of our Extended Break package when planning your next visit!
Morristown, New Jersey
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We just returned from at 3 day stay at The Lodge at Woodloch. We had an amazing experience. From check in to check out the staff was outstanding. A special thanks goes out to Robin in Tree, who went out of her way to give us the best table in the house each night for dinner. The food was and service exceeded our expectations. The room was lovely, all of the amenities were included. We took several classes each day, I did think they could have been a bit more challenging, however, I understand they are meant to accommodate all levels. Besides, who wants to work that hard on a vacation? This place is a true Oasis and we will definitely return.

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor, which was away from the noise.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
prof45-

Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding your recent visit! We will be sure to pass along your comments to Robin, our dining room hostess. Thank you for choosing to stay with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back!
Caldwell, New Jersey
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

So very special staff rooms classes spa treatments perfect
This was a return spa weekend for me but enhanced with family
There is so much to do and having the winter experience was great thank you all at Woodloch

• Stayed March 2014
Adelinna-

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your recent stay here at The Lodge! We are so pleased you enjoyed time away with your family, and hope to have the chance to welcome you back!
New York City
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I was very excited for my weekend at Woodloch and left disappointed. My experience was not great and it took me a while to figure out why but I have… expectations. I expected Woodloch to be a destination spa but in reality it isn’t, it’s a resort spa. It may sound like semantics, but it makes a big difference. As a destination spa traveler (think Mii Amo, Golden Door, Canyon Ranch) I am well versed on what that experience should be. Both T&L and CN Traveler categorize Woodloch as a destination spa and I believe that is misleading. There are many wonderful things about Woodloch, but you have to go in knowing what you’re going to get in order to fully enjoy your time there.

For starters, you do not have to step foot in the spa when you stay at Woodloch. You can be a hotel guest and nothing more. The capacity at Woodloch is too high to have a relaxing experience. The travelers to Woodloch were not there for zen, the noise level at this spa and the downright rudeness of fellow spa goers was truly shocking. Talking loudly in the quiet room despite requests to stop is common. Screaming about how grateful you are to be away from your children and your dread at having to go back to them at the end of the weekend is not proper spa etiquette. Guests claim to be there for detox while sipping from cocktails. I later found out that the weekend my friend and I were at Woodloch coincided with a Gilt/Jetsetter special. Advice: avoid any weekend that has one of these specials going on.

My other issue was with dinner. You must make a reservation and dress for dinner. This is because people not staying at the resort can go to the restaurant for dinner and their needs are put ahead of overnight guests. There is no reason outside guests should be put ahead of those paying a premium to stay there. Each evening I felt like just when I was starting to relax I had to run around getting ready for dinner at my reserved time. At a destination spa you should be able to eat whenever you want in whatever you want. Also, times are not adhered to. We received our evening flyer which noted breakfast service ended at 10:00. The next morning my friend went to breakfast ahead of me at 9:30. She called me five minutes later to let me know I had to get to the dining room asap b/c they were closing the kitchen at 9:30.

The spa itself is nice. I do wish it was laid out more thoughtfully as the changing area is right in the center of the room. When guests are changing they are exposed to those in the waiting area and those entering the spa. I wasn’t upset about this, but it was obvious some women weren’t comfortable being on display.

The GOOD:
The spa treatment itself was spectacular. I had a massage. My therapist (I believe her name was Amy) was amazing. I recommend her highly.

The service at dinner was excellent. When I was torn between two entrees and asked the server for a reco she later brought me what I ordered and a small sample of the second dish I didn’t. Very much appreciated.

The grounds are lovely. The location of the spa is fantastic. It is on a beautiful lake and the mountain scenery is beautiful. The building itself is also very nice, designed like a ski chalet.

The General Manager is to be commended. My friend had a very bad experience one evening and asked to speak to him about it. He came to speak to us and was genuinely concerned. He not only said he wanted to make it right, he took action and did. I think under his leadership Woodloch will only get better.

Overall, my experience wasn’t a great one. Again, I believe I was expecting something that wasn’t aligned with what Woodloch is. There are many excellent reviews on this site, likely all well deserved. I wouldn’t advise you not to visit, just to know what to expect when you do.

Room Tip: Don't go any weekend that has gilt/jetsetter specials going on.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank mls1976
Lindsey B, Manager at The Lodge at Woodloch, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
mls1976-

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your recent stay. We do want to start off by apologizing for the disappointment you experienced during your stay. It is our intention to always provide a relaxing and rejuvenating experience for each and every one of our guests, and we apologize that this was not the case during this visit.

While the majority of our amenities are located in our 40,000 square foot spa facility, guests are able to simply enjoy a book by one of our fireplaces, or perhaps a cup of tea overlooking our beautiful lake. The ability to be as busy or as relaxed as you choose is one of the many things our guests do enjoy about our property. While we were quite busy in January with a fairly high guest count, we do offer quite a few areas throughout the property that do provide a bit of a quieter setting.

Regarding your dining experience in Tree- we are so pleased to hear you enjoyed our gourmet spa cuisine. As a point of note, dress is casual in the dining room for dinner service- we do just ask that no bathrobes are worn for dinner, as is common for breakfast and lunch services. We do seat from 5:30 PM- 8:30 PM in 15 minute intervals, but we do apologize if these times proved too constricting for the schedule you were hoping to keep.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your review, and we hope to have the chance to welcome you back!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawley
Hotel Fauchere
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,557 reviews
Ledges Hotel
Ledges Hotel
#3 of 7 in Hawley

Been to The Lodge at Woodloch? Share your experiences!