“Came home yesterday, ready to return” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Lodge at Woodloch

and 1 more site!
The Lodge at Woodloch
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Hawley
“Came home yesterday, ready to return”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

I desperately needed a mini-break from New York, and found my way to the Lodge at Woodloch.

My 2-night stay unexpectedly turned out to be a meditation/yoga retreat. By the second night, I felt blissful. Hopefully, I will be back on my mat regularly.

Not long after I arrived, the spa squeezed me in for a superb deep tissue massage with Vicki. Because I booked my trip at the last-minute, hers was the only spa treatment I received. However, it didn't matter as there were many interesting activities scheduled. Besides meditation and yoga classes, I also took art classes. They were instructive and filled with good-natured laughter. The food is of high quality, especially the 4-course dinners. Overall, service was excellent, but with one exception.

On arrival, having missed lunch, I wandered into the Garden Room as S was clearing the snacks from tea. Although the spa has fruit and trail mix, I needed something a little more substantial. I explained to her that I have low blood sugar and asked if I could have some of the cheese and crackers that had just been served. She refused and told me to pay for a platter at the bar. After I had paid almost $500/night?

Everything went swimmingly after that. I also had my nature fix by the lake and bog.

Tip:
If you want a massage and can't get one, the waterfall jacuzzi is a close-enough substitute.

Tip:
As long as it's quiet, the room category doesn't matter. I was only there at bedtime.

Enjoy the s'mores and more!

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Grossulargarnets
Lindsey B, Manager at The Lodge at Woodloch, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Grossulargarnets-

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts regarding your recent stay! We are delighted you found your stay to be relaxing and enjoyable, and hope to welcome you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

For my wife's 40th birthday I surprised her with a trip to the Lodge. I never heard of it but the reviews were positive so I jumped in.

Positives:
-Well maintained and well appointed property.
-Service was very good and employees attentive
-Small number of guests so not super crowed
-One restaurant so no time wasted on deciding on where to eat
-Food was good; portions are not huge but you definitely won't go hungry
-Spa facilities are in excellent shape and very well thought out
-We thoroughly enjoyed the 80's show at the Woodloch Pines. Still singing along!
-Wine tasting was fine; perfect way to loosen up
-Enjoyed kayaking on a small lake as it was my first time
-Overall a solid experience

Reasons I would try other destinations before returning:
-Price; two nights $2400 with limited alcohol or spa services used
-No outdoor pool
-Limited activities for men or people not super into yoga classes
-Alcohol not included for such a high rate (at least give a daily credit)
-Rooms are nice but have stayed in much nicer for comparison

I just think we are not the target people for this property but overall would recommend it.

Some areas of improvement:
-Don't lose our dinner reservations and make me rebook them
-Give tour of property at check in especially the spa
-Offer more activities outdoors

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank EBABWBMB
Lindsey B, Manager at The Lodge at Woodloch, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
EBABWBMB-

Thank you for taking the time to post your review! We are delighted that you so thoroughly enjoyed our gorgeous grounds and breathtaking spa facility! As you mentioned, you were also able to take advantage of our kayaking class- this is just one of many fitness activities available to our guests! We are proud to offer over 22 classes daily, spanning from Power Napping all the way to intense cardio-focused classes. Our package rates also include three gourmet meals daily, served in our Tree Dining Room, which is complete with floor-to-ceiling windows. This truly allows you to experience the outdoors at every turn of your stay. We are thankful that you chose to stay with us, and hope to have the chance to welcome you back!
McLean, VA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

After returning from the Lodge at Woodloch, I re-read some of the reviews that had convinced me to go there in the first place for a weekend gateway after business in NYC. I am not sure I stayed at the same property as the other recent reviewers or if I had a room that was not like the others? Let me start off by saying, the room we experience at this property is not a five star. If you are looking for a five star hotel experience as well as spa, you need to keep looking, this will not suit!

We entered the facility (beautiful on the outside) and began wandering down the hallways toward our room, the further in to the property we went, the more I wondered if this property had seen any updates since it was opened...when we arrived at the room, I was wondering if the furniture had been acquired from a shuttered Motel, it was old, worn and I did not expect this utter lack of quality at this price point...

The bed was the most uncomfortable hotel bed that we have stayed in in at least 10+ years (and we stay in a lot of hotels!). The second night when I explained to the front desk clerk that we both had horrible back pain after sleeping on their bed, she suggested they add a foam "egg crate" layer. For a spa at this price point, I expected at the very least a comfortable bed, crisp high quality sheets and large, comfy towels....not an egg crate from Walmart (yes, the front desk clerk said if they were all being used by other guests - query how many others found the mattresses uncomfortable?), the hotel would just run to Walmart to pick up another one, she noted that they are only $20 or so!).

Spa: The spa itself is -- hands down -- a five star experience from the spa menu, to the facilities to the offered services. If only it could be matched by the accommodations!

Food: The food (included) was not bad...the only thing if you are planning to stay more than 2 days, there is a lot of repetition required. Rating on food alone, I would say 3.5 stars. Also, there are cookies and tea put out every day, but we never say anything more than crumbs -- if you make that available, you might want to adjust your quantities so that it can last more than a few minutes!

Service: Throughout the property, every person was lovely -- friendly, helpful and appeared to be genuinely concerned about your well being.

If this place went through a full interior makeover to give it a more high end spa-like feel (rooms & common areas, particularly bedding), I would return.

Room Tip: I would not recommend the room we had!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank DiscerningTraveler88
DiscerningTraveler88-

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments regarding your recent stay. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed our beautiful spa facilities and delicious spa cuisine! We have also passed along your comments regarding our guestrooms to both our Engineering and Housekeeping departments, who will be sure to check the furniture in that particular guestroom to ensure that it is up to the Lodge's standards of comfort for our guests. We thank you for choosing to stay with us, and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back!
Bowie, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

This was my third annual visit with my best friend. We were there for three nights. All I can say is, for me, one of the criteria for an excellent spa is that for the entire time, my eyes are either completely closed (receiving a fantastic treatment), or at half mast (because I am sooooo relaxed).

Woodloch does that for me. The service, at all times, the treatments, the classes - I did the bodypump class - loved it, the food, the beds, the room - just absolutely so worth it.

I do have to say - and this is no reflection on the resort - because it has been addressed: we are such a wired-up nation. People really need to learn to 'unplug'. No cell phones, no tablets. Readers are fine. But what a relaxing thing to just not be available unless it is an emergency - in which case, they can just call the front desk. My 'Zen' was almost disrupted by one of my family members, but all turned out well.

I love the resort and will definitely be back. Oh and the one per night Lady Godiva Chocolate Martinis weren't bad either. :-)

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank dlafoot1
Lindsey B, Manager at The Lodge at Woodloch, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
dlafoot1-

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts! We are so happy to be able to provide that level of relaxation to our guests each and every day. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

I've visited The Lodge at Woodloch twice, with both trips equally amazing. From the moment you arrive at the guard desk, you are greeted with a welcoming hello that is repeated throughout your stay. The "mid-week magic" is so aptly named because it defines everything about Woodloch....pure magic. The Spa is divine: restorative, relaxing and restful. The body polish and massage leave my skin so soft and the waterfall massage is the perfect way to remove tension. The staff is wonderful; friendly without being intrusive. And the food is great too. Truly an EXCELLENT stay every time. Can't rate it high enough.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Nickie D
Nickie D-

What lovely comments, thank you so much! We certainly value your repeat visits, and are looking forward to welcoming you back for yet another magical stay!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

A perfect place to unwind, this woodland retreat is simply magnificent! Spa facilities are excellent. Food is exquisite in both quality and taste. Rooms are faultless. Would definitely come back here again and again...

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank mr_mrs_neill
mr_and_mrs_mmz-

Thank you for taking the time to post your review! It is wonderful to hear you enjoyed your time here- we look forward to welcoming you back!
Wall Township, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

The best place I've ever stayed. The service at Woodloch is EXCELLENT in every single category. Found most of the food on the "bland" side. Very little spice/flavor/variety. Nothing really exciting. Was expecting gourmet, top of the line. Very disappointed about that. Desserts were amazing though. I found the food to be in line with cruise food but the desserts to be gourmet, far above cruise quality. Also thought everything would've been in the "health food" category. Was surprised it wasn't. Spa attendants were all wonderful, especially Johnny. What a sweetheart! Was thrilled with how organized the place is and how easy it was to coordinate my schedule before arrival. Loved the patience that was taken with me while I decided everything, because there is soooo much to choose from! My room was clean and extremely comfortable. Loved the view of the waterfall. Loved that my mother & I had our own sinks and could get ready together without being in each other's way. Loved afternoon "tea" treats. Loved having American room attendants who understood everything we asked for and complied with bright smiles every time. Really, every single person went above & beyond and made us feel like they really cared that we were there and enjoying ourselves. Loved walking around all day in my robe then dressing for dinner. Perfect place for a mother/daughter retreat.

Room Tip: all rooms have excellent views and are comfortable...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank MonCtyCate
MonCtyCate-

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts! We are so happy you enjoyed your mother/daughter getaway. Also, we will be sure to pass along your comments regarding the cuisine to our Food and Beverage team. Thank you for choosing to stay with us, and we hope to welcome you back!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawley
Hotel Fauchere
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,526 reviews
Ledges Hotel
Ledges Hotel
#3 of 7 in Hawley

Been to The Lodge at Woodloch? Share your experiences!