“A rare and special place” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Lodge at Woodloch

The Lodge at Woodloch
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Hawley
Reisterstown, Maryland
“A rare and special place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

This small and beautiful resort demonstrates attention to every detail to create a truly memorable stay. The variety of classes and activities, the quality of the food, the attentive staff, and overall luxury and cleanliness of accommodations make it a place you will carry with you even when you re-enter back into your hectic everyday life. Can't recommend more highly if you are looking for an escape that will allow you to relax and discover.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
4 Thank K2thefab

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Great place for a girlfriend getaway! From the moment we drove up to the front door to the last good-bye to the bellman the entire staff is super friendly and willing to go above and beyond with any requests. The decor is beautiful and serene. We enjoyed the abundance of activities offered. You could be as busy as you want or just find one of the many beautiful quiet areas inside or out to unwind and relax. We loved the spa feel to the entire resort and enjoyed having breakfast in our spa robe and slippers as we prepared for our day of fun and challenging classes. I highly recommend the Great Wall of Yoga and Drums Alive! The activities change day to day and week to week so if you are staying for more than a few days you'll get plenty of variety.
The food was all organic with many vegan and gluten free dishes for those who prefer it. I found the menu diverse and the food was very good. Excellent wine list too!
The resort never felt over crowded and it was nice to run into the other guests at the spa, the classes and again in the restaurant. The age span was wide from college age girls to women in their 80's all enjoying the same classes and/or treatments. It looked like it was a good place for couples as well.
I'll be back ...

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank dolcevita713
Cliffside Park, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Perhaps the timing to getaway midweek was a big factor in my rating as i found myself relaxed and having 'no worries' during my whole stay at the lodge. Most of the staff were always smiling and always ready to help-- from the property's security, valet parking, front desk, housekeeping, spa staff ( i.e. handed in pool slippers & extra large towels) , restaurant staff (i,e.Chef especially during cooking demo & our server 'mallory') , activity guides. Lots of options in terms of indoor/outdoor activities to nourish mind, body & spirit.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank goodplai
Rockville, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

I was trying to find a 3 to 4 day getaway for me and my husband and I found it at The Lodge at Woodloch . We live outside of Washington DC and agreed on no planes, a days drive, no golf courses, no gambling, and preferably lakes over beaches. I enjoy yoga, biking, and anything water related. He enjoys rest and relaxation . We both appreciate a good massage and we have been known to travel just to dine at a restaurant that has been recommended. I booked a midweek rate that included our room, all activities, and 3 meals a day that included tips. My husband commented the first night how nice it was not having to tip to valet the car, bring the bags to the room, or sign the check after dinner. We just got to be. Something so simple, tips included, became something so relaxing and immediately appreciated by us both. The resort has activities scheduled throughout the day, a fitness center , complimentary outdoor bikes , a small lake to kayak or paddle board on ( we were disappointed to discover that the lake is really a bog and there is no swimming allowed but there is access to their sister resort 2 miles down the road with a larger lake for swimming and other water activities ) , a spa, and a salon. We do not golf but it is available close to the lodge. The activities range from different styles of yoga including The Great Wall of Yoga where you use straps anchored into a wall for inversions and stretches , meditation , water exercise classes in the indoor pool ( which was harder than I expected but a lot of fun ), kayaking, paddle boarding ( I have done this before and it is easier than it looks ),and so many other things that we did not do such as : fly fishing, geocaching, hiking, and cooking demonstrations. You can be as busy as you want or as relaxed as you want. One of my favorite moments was walking down to the fire pit at the lake and roasting smores. Also, one morning I was having my coffee in a hammock and three deer sauntered by me.This place is like camp for grown ups and just grown ups because I believe you have to be at least 16 . The guests were mostly older middle age couples, mother / daughter pairs, some younger singles, and a few clusters of girlfriends on getaways. The food is good not great but definitely healthier than most other places because they use produce from several organic gardens on site and cook everything as healthy as possible serving satisfying healthy meals not supersized overloaded entrees.This is not a foodie destination. We did enjoy all our meals and rated the shrimp and grits as excellent as well as the tenderloin. Water, tea, fruit,cookies, and nuts are available throughout the day. Dining reservations are needed or you can dine in your room for a $10 surcharge. The Treetop Restaurant has beautiful views and the guest guitarists added some evening vibe. Which brings me to the question what is a spa destination? For us , a spa destination is The Lodge at Woodloch that offers physical and zen activities throughout the day and spa treatments to help you feel your best. We both enjoyed our massages. My tension tamer massage with deep tissue was one of the best massages I have ever received. The activities that I tried were not very challenging or athletic and the bike path is extremely short unless I missed something and the lake ( bog ) is small . Maybe I just did not pick the more challenging offerings. If you are ready to try some new activities this might be the place to go and treat yourself to some new experiences , spa treatments, and healthy cuisines .This is definitely a place you want to go to for a relaxing spa stay. Tips included. Although, when we left my husband wanted to tip everyone because we felt the whole staff at the Lodge at Woodloch was fantastic and warm and helpful and just really really nice.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Cleanliness
6 Thank Tbadali
Philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

I am almost hesitant to write this review because I don't want the "secret" to get out! This hotel does it right - with only 57 rooms, there are only ever 114 guests staying here. The ratio of staff to guests is at least 2 to 1. The hotel is spotlessly clean, beautiful and relaxing. It is set on a beautiful wooded property that features 2 miles of paths through the woods. They have a huge garden from which they grown their own produce and it is featured at every meal. There is a beautiful private lake where you can kayak or just sit in an adirondak chair and read or nap. There are hammocks spread around the grounds, as well. At night, they light a huge fire pit and hand out "s'mores packets" so you can roast marshmallows and chit chat with the other guests. There is live acoustic music every night at dinner. There are 100's of exercise/meditation/yoga/painting/cooking/etc classes going on all day long. The spa and locker rooms are magnificent and the pool, saunas, hot tubs, indoor waterfalls are amazing. The menu features fresh, healthy choices but there is also a bar which features great wines and mixed drinks. Because it is an all-inclusive, you don't have to tip and can just enjoy your stay. The best part is that the staff is incredible - everyone is friendly, happy to be there, and knowledgeable in their area of expertise. It is the perfect adult getaway. We stayed for four nights but I could have stayed forever. I never got bored and had plenty of unwinding time when I wanted it. This can be a place where you are active all day or where you just relax. You can be 90 or 19 and love this place.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank PhilMamma
Lindsey B, Manager at The Lodge at Woodloch, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
PhilMamma-

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments! We are so happy you had such a memorable visit with us, and hope to welcome you back soon!
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

We saw so many spectacular reviews, we had to try this place. First, the food. It is really bad. Like Ramada Inn bad. But all the menu descriptions sound like you're eating a Daniel Boulud restaurant. The only thing that's edible are the turkey burgers. If you ignore this review and go anyway, the portions of this not very good food are ridiculously small. They call this place a spa but I don't think you have to be on a diet to go? We are very thin people and just started ordering two of everything.
The activities. The bird watching guy, is the mountain bike guy and the Kayak Guy. I don't know about kayaking, but this nice fellow has no idea about birds or mountain biking. What they offer isn't mountain biking. There are no mountains on the property. And there are only like a mile or less of a trail. I'm a mountain biker. This trail was practically paved. The fishing may have been OK, but the river they fish on (forgot name) is constantly being messed with by dam water flows. That means it could be that when you go the water is super high and muddy and unfishable like it was when we went. The fishing guide was excellent. We just couldnt fish.
I had a massage and paid extra for deep tissue and the woman didn't know what deep tissue was. Again, super nice person who unfortunately wasn't a knowledgeable masseur. (SP?) The other thing is, I planned to exercise here. There is literally no place to run unless you want to do hills. I mean HUGE hills. I'm a runner. I'd never run down steep hills like that again. Knees! The road the place is on is super busy with crazy drivers so can't run on road. No shoulder either. Also the pool is not appropriate for doing laps. This place is supposed to focus on activities, and yet you can't actually do anything. The gym is well-equipped, but I got a gym in NY. That's not what I want to do when I go to a place like this. The other thing is this place is rated by Travel and Leisure number 1 in the world or top 10 or something. Somebody is paying someone a lot of money for those reviews. I am lucky enough to have been to luxury spas all over the world. This one is the very bottom for all the reasons listed. OK. Rant is over. People there are super nice. Except for one woman at the desk who never smiled. Which is pretty much her job. Other than that, the staff is wonderful. Whoever is managing that place should go back to Denny's.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
11 Thank masterofme1
masterofme1-

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to the Lodge. We are disappointed that we were not able to provide you with the type of Woodloch hospitality that hundreds of travelers have enjoyed while staying with us. It is this hospitality that keeps our guests returning again and again. Our staff takes great pride in providing excellent service to all of our guests and we never want anyone to leave disappointed. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your visit with you. Kindly reach out to me at 570-685-8548. Thank you. Rob Baldassari, General Manager.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

This place was a big surprise. I was expecting a very sedate acerbic intense spa experience and had been hesitant about coming here, but what I got was very different. We found the food very tasty, personnel quite friendly and the general experience rather laid back. I was happy not to see a bunch of guests wearing headphones listening to music and looking into their smart phones. The clientele is refined and the room count (57) helps ensure a high level of quality is maintained throughout the experience. Luggage got to the room before we did. Staff members we approached looked like they'd been waiting all day for someone to come and talk to them and seemed genuinely glad to receive us, be it at the chef's garden or the waterfront. I got the Amex platinum upgrade from a deluxe room to a suite. People seemed very happy to try and accommodate requests. The rooms were perfectly good although a bit dark if you face the forest during the summer. They have lots of activities here which is helpful if it rains and also makes this property compare well to the Mayflower in Washington Connecticut or Glenmere Mansion in Chester, NY which are other adult-oriented spa destinations in the area. We enjoyed the various nature trails, a painting class, and we liked the guitarists performing nightly on the property. If you get bored, they will drive you a few miles away to their sister property and you can see a nightclub show or hear a band but beware it is a very different crowd there. The spa has a great gym, nice facilities and is very spacious. Professional level of treatments is high. Food was tasty with a wide variety and a good amount of really yummy home-made stuff such as good pastries and sorbets, pasta and soups. I get the feeling that people that come here don't lose weight while here. Staff seemed very happy to work here and like their employers. We thought this place was very good value for money. I really have nothing negative to report unless I try real hard to find something. We would definitely come back.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 649ic
ivanciment-

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay here, and found our amenities and offerings to be beyond your expectations! We look forward to seeing you again!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawley
Hotel Fauchere
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,527 reviews
Ledges Hotel
Ledges Hotel
#3 of 7 in Hawley

Been to The Lodge at Woodloch? Share your experiences!