“Bed and Breakfast at it's best”
Review of Settlers Inn

Settlers Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Hawley B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We recently attended our friends son's wedding in the Poconos and decided to stay at Settlers Inn due to the location. I loved that you were able to go on line and see each room prior to booking. It made it fun to choose which room was best for you, along with the view. Upon arrival and check-in, the staff was great and we loved our room. Cozy; but spacious with the big, fluffy bed (which was very comfortable) and a very nice sized bathoorm. It even had room for a sitting area. Thje view outside our room was of the garden, what a little treasure. We had breakfast in the restaurant and true to the B&B experience, breakfast was included and I mean a big breakfast, not just a doughnut and coffee. The front porch was a nice place to sit and catch-up on the day, the hotel location was perfect -- just close enough to everything. We would definitely visit this spot again next time we are back in the area.

Room Tip: If you love a room with a view, check-out 202, the garden is just lovely
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 28 July 2013

have eaten here many times before...the food was good, and the service was also decent. When we were ready to leave and asked for the check we were presented with a tab that was 30% more than what we actually ordered. The fact that NOTHING on the tab matched what we ordered seemed a little suspicious....would we have been presented a different bill that would have charged us 30% less? I really don't think so. The fact that the waitress never apologized for presenting the wrong check only reinforced the fact that we will not be visiting here again any time soon...

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank jdubz_13
Reviewed 26 July 2013

On a friend's warm recommendation, we found the Settler's Inn to be a gracious, charming place to celebrate a special anniversary. The rooms we saw through open doors, and including ours, looked picture perfect and the staff tried their best to make our stay enjoyable. Just as the lovely Victorian garden blossomed after evening's rain, we do think that there is always room for improvement, to get that high four star rating attached to the inn.

Some things cannot be changed--as a number of reviewers already noted--namely the location of the inn at a junction of two busy roads. Trucks loaded with huge logs and even bigger bails of hay sped by while we enjoyed a quiet evening on the lovely front porch. The town itself was unfortunately very quiet during the day, with hardly a bird flying over the main street and we sincerely hope that on our next stay we will enjoy a bit more life and bustle there.

It's the little things that could be changed easily: a stack of cushions piled by the entry to soften the seats of the various garden chairs and make an afternoon of reading in the garden more comfortable. That is what they do at our favorite B & B in Provence, France. (Yes, we all returned the cushions back into the house!) The chairs on the lovely restaurant patio would also be much more pleasant with extra simple cushions. On the other hand: what is the huge mound of feather padding on the beds doing in the midst of summer? The bed across our room looked positively pregnant, and so did ours, making it quite an exercise to settle in it. After we rid our room of all extra padding, top and bottom, it made a paradise to stay. I would love to see the main entry hall bit more illuminated upon entry: it made me think of deep winter and need for the fireplace to be lit. It simply didn't match the bright pretty colors outside!

After all this, the Inn still remains a little gem on our list for future visits!
We did have a wonderful stay. Many thanks!

Room Tip: If affordable, rooms away from the street and facing the garden are more quiet.
2  Thank Janka77
Reviewed 19 July 2013

We have stayed here for the past few summers when we come to Pennsylvania to visit our girls at sleepaway camp. Each year it is just perfect. The rooms are beautiful and spacious. Bathrooms are updated and very clean. Beds are extremely comfortable. The inn itself is just beautiful. We love to spend time in the small sitting area they have in the front of the hotel with a drink or stroll through the immaculate and gorgeous gardens they so meticulously maintain in the back. The fact that they have such a nice restaurant right on the property is also a definite plus. Don't miss the french toast casserole in the morning! We look so forward to our stay every year. It is definitely one of very few places in that area that is of the high standard that this wonderful place is. We just love it!

Room Tip: all of the rooms have their own special touches and all are beautiful, we happen to like the rooms o...
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Interesting and nicely maintained and updated arts and crafts building, very nice garden, good restaurant. Although on somewhat busy local road, double windows so quiet even though I had a room facing the street, QUIET air conditioning - yes it is possible!. They have bikes available for use - and they have helmets, and the bike tires were pumped up, and the brakes were in good shape - amazing but true - biked around town in the early morning - lots of quiet roads and cute houses. Public beach at Lake Wallenpaupak which is only 2 miles away was yucky - too bad.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 July 2013

We enjoyed our trip to the Inn very much. We bought a package that included a trail ride at Vanderbeek Farms.
The food was very good. The room was cozy. The staff was friendly and responsive to our needs.
This was our third time to the Inn for overnight accommodations. It met all expectations based on previous visits.
I did take the time to read some of the less than favorable reviews. I was a little surprised and can tell you that these views were not consistent with our stays at the inn.
You do need understand that this is an older building and with the age comes a great deal of character, charm and ambiance. With this there is a bit of a trade off as you are not staying in a building that has been built in the last ten years.
Meals were good, especially breakfasts. I would describe the dinners as of the gourmet type - very tasty with very nice "presentation". My wife described the pork meal as the best she has ever had.....which if you every had her cooking pork you would understand that this is quite a complement.
I did witness a situation where the Inn staff and management went our of their way to satisfy a couple who had an experience at the Inn. Personally from what I saw the experience was self induced, but nevertheless the staff bent over backwards to make amends.
So, we would go there again, without hesitation. We have referred our friends there and have heard nothing but positive feedback from their visits that have occurred over the past 6 months.

1  Thank Bill D
jeanne g, Owner at Settlers Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2013

Thank you for spending your anniversary with us at The Settlers Inn ! So glad you enjoyed your stay and appreciate the historic nature of the property. It was built in 1927 and originally had 54 rooms - we have made many changes and continue to upgrade while maintaining the historic integrity of this arts and crafts gem. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 8 July 2013

I'm not even sure where to start. We found The Settlers Inn via Select Registry, a network of high-quality, independently owned B&B's across the country. We have stayed at three other Select Registry B&B's and we have really enjoyed them.

We checked out The Settlers Inn on Trip Advisor before booking. We read the negative reviews but they were so outnumbered by positive reviews, and trusting in the Select Registry listing, we booked anyway.

It was busier than anticipated when we arrived (a Wednesday afternoon in July), and I think we took the last space in the parking lot. The outside of the property looked nice - plantings all around, wicker furniture in the front outdoor seating area, and a path off to the left. We walked in to the dark-ish lobby and were overwhelmed by the strong odor of fireplace ash. My fiance remembered that he had read a mention of that in one of the reviews. Ah oh well, it's an adventure, right?

We went up to the front desk where the clerk was helping another couple. Slowly. Very slowly. Once they were finally checked in we thought it would be our turn, but she came out from behind the front desk to escort them to their room and left us waiting there with a "be with you in just a minute." Another woman came out from a door behind the front desk while we were waiting but did not offer to help us. Ah well,at least we'll be walked to our room, too, right?

There was no offer to assist with taking bags up the steps so we were left to lug them up ourselves. No big deal, part of the charm, right? We were led to room 203. It was nice, but a little cramped with the bed immediately inside the door. The beautiful old windows had a pane of glass installed over top so there was no way to open them. Ah, not a big deal.

The bathroom looked nice at first glance. The water line is obviously shared with another room, because even though my fiance was elsewhere, the water temperature (ouch!) and pressure changed a few times while I was showering. Once the shower/tub was wet, there was a very strong smell of mildew for the remainder of our stay. Well, at least dinner should be good. Four diamonds, right?

On the way down to dinner we noticed that the "sitting" room (i.e. door to fire escape, setee and water dispenser) a few doors down had a large vent dangling from the ceiling, hanging only by layers of paint attached to sheet rock. (We both grabbed for our phones - see two pictures I uploaded). That was a little alarming, so on the way to dinner we told the front desk that they should have someone go have a look at that right away. Her response was somewhere between confused and disintersted. I was beginning to lose hope.

We didn't have a reservation but were seated promptly for our farm-to-table dinner. Our server was an older lady, very nice, who seemed as though she was new to all this. She took our drink orders. A couple was seated behind us with a different server - they ordered drinks, received them, and ordered their meals before our drinks arrived. (The Cuban Fizz was eventually very good.) Once we placed our food orders, we never saw our server again, except for when she helped the manager bring out our meals. ("be careful your plates are very hot" is restaurant speak for "they have been sitting under the heat lamps for a while") There were plenty of server's assistants floating around but none of them would engage - they'd just refill a water or take away a plate with no words or eye contact to see if you needed anything. The wine and cocktails we tried were good, but the food was pretty not great. We decided to pass on dessert in the interest of getting back to our room before 2014 and had to flag down a server's assistant to get our check.

On the way back to the room we noticed the vent was still hanging there. Oh... whatever.

It had been a hot day and we turned the a/c unit on to cool the room down. It never seemed to really get cool, though; it just took the edge off. The bed was comfortable a first. It took a while to sink in to the deep featherbed. (The result of this come morning was a mound in the center of the bed between my fiance and me.)

At some point in the middle of the night we were awakened by the sound of the vent finally dropping to the floor. Seriously, Settlers Inn?

We headed down for breakfast in the morning with lowered expections, just hoping for better service than we had for dinner. We walked by the vent and torn paint on the floor of the sitting room on our way to breakfast.

Our pleasant young waitress was very attentive and apologized profusely when she spilled the entire pitcher of syrup, that was intended to be poured on my waffles, on my lap. No problem - it happens. I asked her to bring me some butter and went to the restroom to clean up. When I got back and finally got to try my waffles, I thought I detected a garlic flavor in the butter. Nah, can't be. Took another bite. Yep, that's garlic. So weird - am I losing it? I asked my fiance to try it; he said "It tastes like everything in the refrigerator - they must not cover it."

We'd had enough. Abort mission. Abort. Abort. We should have heeded those negative reviews.

At least the big breakfast was included with the room price and we didn't get charged for extra syrup.

3  Thank erinb904
jeanne g, Owner at Settlers Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2013

As the owner of a very unique well cared for historic hotel, I need to respond to the reviewer of "Heed the Negative Reviews" and the same reviewer who posted "don't". There are two areas that I would like to address. One is a photo posted of a vent hanging from a damaged ceiling. On June 30, 2013, approximately three days previous to this reviewer's stay our inn was deluged in a flash flood with severe water damage. We were interviewed on local news. One of the damages that occurred was the ceiling that this reviewer photographed. I have posted the photograph on TA of the repaired ceiling. I have also posted a photograph showing the flooding of our garden, also totally restored within ten days. The other issue I would like to address is the "odor of smoke". We have a massive fireplace in the common room of The Settlers Inn and because of the huge amount of rain, the chimney was damp and the smell of wood smoke was prevalent in our lobby. This was addressed with dehumidifiers and the problem is currently abated.
Just three days after this flooding began a very busy four day holiday weekend. We are sorry to have let down this guest and if they would have asked to speak to management regarding their impression of their stay we would have addressed the issues at that time. In the meantime I invite the reviewer to contact the inn and we will make amends.
The pleasure of our guests is our primary goal at The Settlers Inn. We are proud of our record of good customer service and our mostly positive ratings from our guests.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawley
Greshams Lake View Motel
#1 of 1 in Skytop
Cove Haven Resort
Cove Haven Resort
#1 of 2 in Lakeville

Been to Settlers Inn? Share your experiences!