“Charm ends at the lobby” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Settlers Inn

Settlers Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Hawley B&B and Inns
Poconos
“Charm ends at the lobby”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2007

I'd always wanted to stay at the Settler's Inn and a weekend fishing trip on Lake Wallenpaupak gave me the perfect excuse. A family member
and I checked in on Friday afternoon and the woman at the reception desk was very welcoming & friendly. She called a man out to escort us
to our room and carry our bags to the 2nd floor (no elevators) and he
gave us a very disapproving once-over...okay, we were in jeans and sandals, but we were on a fishing trip, after all - I reserve my Dolce & Gabbana for amusement parks. Anyway, we were lead to a very tiny, very cheesy room that was desperately in need of some updating
- the terra cotta painted walls were a bit too orange to have that warm, homey feel, and came off bright and offensive. I would've dealt
with it, but a check into the bathroom revealed no jacuzzi tub, an anemity I'd specifically requested when making the reservation. I brought this to the attention of our porter, who appeared reluctant to do anything to resolve the isue - indeed, he made us feel like the mistake was ours. He finally disappeared in a huff and returned a few minutes later, grabbed our bags, and ordered us to follow him to another room. He never did admit any responsibility on the part of the hotel for the mix-up.

The new room was even worse - so small, it barely fit the lumpy queen bed, dresser & wardrobe that were crammed into it. The wallpaper was a horribly dark, old-fashioned red & orange print which clashed with the dark green carpeting. The furniture, too, was very dark, and it was over-sized, giving the room a claustrophobic feel. But, there was a jetted tub in the ugly little bathrrom, which was painted the color of mud, so I guess I got exactly what I'd asked
for!

There were some good points to our stay - the complimentary bottled water, cheese & cracker platter and chocolates in the room were a nice touch, and breakfast, ordered off a menu and included in the room price, was absolutely delicious. The grounds and lobby area, including the bar & restaurant, are charmingly decorated and very pretty. There are even some pretty rooms - the vacant room doors were open and we peeked in a few - but we just happened to be offered
our choice of what appeared to be their two ugliest. My luck...! I'd probably visit again for a meal, but I wouldn't stay.

• Liked — Breakfast was delicious
  • Disliked — Ugly accomodations and rude staff
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank pawriter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2006

My wife and I went to The Settlers Inn recently and I must say, I have never experienced such fabulous hospitality any place else. Our waitress was jo, she was a very nice, well versed professional, we are very picky eaters and our food was prepared better than we ever could have imagined. We were staying at the settlers for our 5th anniversary, what a very very special place. Not only is the food excellent but the staff wants to take care of your every need, the chef even came out to speak with us about the food he prepares and all of the influences in his menu. Great Place!!!!!!

• Stayed January 2006, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2005

Settlers Inn is nice enough, but is neither luxorious nor romantic.

During our one night stay in July, the guests were primarily families with children and older couples.

Dinner was far more casual that I expected -- some guests wore shorts and t-shirts. The food at both dinner and breakfast was very good.

Hotel staff was friendly and welcoming, but wait staff in the dining room was a bit inept.

We had a two room suite: one room had a double bed, and the other had two twin beds, but the rooms connected through the bathroom. This arrangement was a bit uncomfortable because it was impossible to go from room to room while the bathroom was occupied. The rooms were fine but not outstanding. I found the bed uncomfortable and I could easily hear sounds through the walls.

As another reviewer states, there's not much to do in the immediate area. Honesdale and Lake Wallenpaupack are each about a 15 - 20 minute drive away.

If you are in the area and need a place to stay, Settlers Inn is a fine choice, but I wouldn't go out of my way to make it a destination in its own right.

• Stayed July 2005
6 Thank RebeccaAKABecky
Camp Hill, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2004

This inn has a wonderful Arts and Crafts charm. My husband and I spent his birthday weekend at the inn a few years ago and we are going back twice this year. It is a tastefully decorated, cozy small hotel with a large, crackling fireplace and a lodge-like feel. The restaurant is very unique and adds to the experience with its PA farm-based menu.
This Inn is in a small town, but for us, it was fun just to explore the town and especially its abundance of antique shops. The lake is also nearby along with tons of hiking possibilities. I highly reccomend this treasure as a weekend getaway!

3 Thank tinyten4
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2003

The inn is well kept and the staff is friendly but there is not much to do in this small town. Everything is about 20 to 30 minutes away. This became a problem at dinner time. We got tired of eating at the inn and there are only a few other places in town. The dinner cost about $20 per plate and the food is decent but I had a horrible experience at lunch. Both my husband and my food was way too salty. Breakfast was wonderful though.I stayed in room 302 and my friends in 216. Room 216 was a lot smaller than 302 although we paid the same price, $135 for each room. Room 216 faces the main street and 302 faces the garden. I had trouble sleeping there the first night because of the humming sound of the exhaust fan.Overall it was a very charming place to stay but it is a little too far away from everything else for me so I will probably not go back there again.

14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawley
Greshams Lake View Motel
Skytop Lodge
Skytop Lodge
#1 of 1 in Skytop
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,122 reviews

Been to Settlers Inn? Share your experiences!