“Recommend this Hidden Gem”
Review of Haines Shoe House

Haines Shoe House
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Hellam
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Please read the hours listed here: We open on the First Day of Spring - Memorial Day: Fri, Sat, Sun 11-5p. *CLOSED EASTER SUNDAY* Memorial Day - Labor Day: Wed - Sun 11-5p (Closed Mon and Tue) Labor Day to Halloween: Fri, Sat, Sun 11-5p. The Haines Shoe House is closed Nov. until Spring. Built in 1948 by Mahlon N. Haines "The Shoe Wizard" as an advertising gimmick for his shoe business. The Haines Shoe House now offers guided tours, gift shop, ice cream & tasty treats for your enjoyment! Tours of the Shoe House are $5 per person and children 5 and under are FREE to tour with a guardian. Please call ahead for larger groups of 15 or more so that we can accommodate your group. We have seating inside and picnic tables on the grounds so that you can enjoy your treats, ice cream or a picnic lunch! There is also a clean porta potty on site for your convenience. Thank you and we look forward to seeing you soon!
Reviewed 20 October 2017

I've heard about this historical site from my husband, who read about it in the paper and toured with friends. When Canadian visitors showed interest; I had my chance to see this unique house with so many artifacts with "Shoe themes." The 20+ hand carved bulldogs tell a story of Mahlon Haines' retirement star performances. Each room is located on another level with a few narrow steps to each. There were 2 bathrooms, full kitchen as well as sitting area. A very well planned house that was used for seniors and honeymooners for no charge. My greatest surprise was to learn of his philanthropistic endeavors. So glad Melanie made this her career (along with the sweet shop) and her mother-in-law gave a great tour. Be sure to see the shoe house for the dog and another smaller one for the mail.

Melanie S, Owner at Haines Shoe House, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2017

Thanks so much for this excellent review!! We're so glad you were able to finally tour the Haines Shoe House and bring along some friends from Canada too! Makes me happy to know you enjoyed it so much as well! Stop back again sometime for some ice cream and bring along more friends from far away places! Thanks, Melanie

All reviews
in 4 reviews
"wizard"
"becks"

Reviewed 4 October 2017

Cute as a button building. Nice history lesson. Good tour guide. Be sure to look at photos and check out dog house.

Melanie S, Owner at Haines Shoe House, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2017

Thanks so much for stepping into the Haines Shoe House! I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit! Stop back again when you're nearby! Thanks, Melanie

Reviewed 27 September 2017

While visiting Maytown, PA with my granddaughters, I found a brochure for the Haines Shoe House. We took a quick 15 minute drive and the girls were enchanted with house. The tour was informative, the owner was wonderful, the ice cream and brownies...yummy. They played outside with the games behind the picnic tables and had a great time. Be prepared to climb 4 short stories of stairs.

Melanie S, Owner at Haines Shoe House, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2017

Thanks for a wonderful review! Glad you and the girls had a great time at our Haines Shoe House with the tour and enjoyed the games and treats!! Stop back again!
Thanks, Melanie :)

Reviewed 18 September 2017

We were on Route 30 in Hellam, PA (between York and Lancaster) when I caught a glimpse of a "shoe house" just off the highway. After trying to describe it to my husband, I asked him to get off at the next exit so that we could try to find it, and we did! What a GEM! This was built in 1948 by an eccentric shoe salesman, by the name of Mahlon Haines. For $5 per person, we had a WONDERFUL tour of the "house" which has now been lovingly restored! It's obvious that the new owners (for two years) are putting their heart and "sole" into sharing this wonderful historic property with others. Melanie (the owner and tour guide) shared interesting stories about the original owner, and there are many interesting artifacts throughout the house. I was impressed with their attention to detail, including flowers that were potted in boots on the porch, a little "shoe house" night light on a dresser in a bedroom, "shoe house" salt & pepper shakers, and much more! This far exceeded my expectations, not knowing really what to expect! It's a wonderful, unique, fun, family oriented place to visit, and you can end the tour with some AMAZING ice-cream. (I had the chocolate marsh mellow, and it was AWESOME!) You will not be disappointed in this wonderful example of "Americana" at its best! I would give it more than 5 stars if I could. I LOVED this place, and I LOVED the warmth and friendliness of the owner!

Melanie S, Owner at Haines Shoe House, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2017

WOW!! Thank you so much Becky!!! We really appreciate honest reviews like yours! I'm so happy you enjoyed your whole experience at the Haines Shoe House!! I love when people take in all the details that we put into the house. Thank you again, I'm so glad you stopped by! Stop back again for some more ice cream when you're near by! Thanks, Melanie

See more reviews
Reviewed 12 July 2017

Haines Shoe House was built in 1946. I have lived here since 1971 & never visited. The Budweiser Clydesdale horses were in town so I took our 4 yo grandson to see them and then a surprise visit to The Shoe House. He was fascinated & frankly so was I. It has 5 levels, each room has a window w/an inner window but on the outer window is a stain glass replica of the shoe house. This is so one can see where in/on the shoe you are. It is a guided tour & our guide was very knowledgeable.I could try to tell you the story but would take more space than allowed. It has 2 bedrooms, a kitchen, sitting room & maid's room. And each one has it's on story. There is quite a lot of memorabilia & pictures - all w/explanations & very interesting. There is even a dog house made in the same shape as the main house. If you are in this area (York, PA) this visit would be time well spent.

Melanie S, Owner at Haines Shoe House, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a great review!! I'm so happy you an dthe grandson enjoyed your time at the Haines Shoe House and your tour!! Please stop back for some more ice cream or treat sometime! And if you ever find a neat old Haines item we'd love to add it to the collection with a mention of you. Thanks again, Melanie