“Waited years as RCI Owners to get into here - & best tip is stay in Bldg 3 due to noise of trains.”

The Suites at Hershey
Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Hershey
Reviewed 14 June 2013

If you are staying here, I can only imagine its due to the absolute ease to getting to Hersheypark and Chocolate World as the main attractions, or possibly even some Amish tours and events near-by. I mean with our 3 kids, we did other things relatively close but the park and water park were the hightlights for them. I may have found alternative accomodations and changed plans if it wasn't, even with us owning a RCI Resort and trading into here. The resort is limited being a smaller facility. The picture used for the icon badge on here is taken from the vantage point of the outside pool looking towards the buildings; and that's the extent of the property. There are three hotel buildings for people and they have chocolate related names: I can't remember the first building, second is "Chocolate", and third is "Cocoa". There is a few other amenities mentioned, but as we drove around, the basketball court was actually a 1/4 court right off the main route coming in, a grill area on the other side of that road, a fire pit - yep you guessed it along that road, and the Cocoa Train Look-Out that boasts letting you be able to watch the trains deliver the Cocoa and products into the Hershey plant is right there too. But the rest of that story is that the train track are smack up against the property and the look-out is maybe 3-6 wooden steps up to a very small deck to see the trains that you can see from the ground, car, and especially your rooms from that side of the buildings. When we drove in and were in the process of checking in, the train noise was incredible loud just at normal operation and then the whistle added increased irritance. The lobby is the small building right next to the outside pool and if you look at the picture badge, that prominant 4-level building closest is Building 1.

Building 1 is said to have the worst train noise for all the buildings since it is the closest to the tracks . We asked to be in Building 3, top (4th) floor and have road side room because it is the furthest away. The whole 7 days, I have only heard 1 train whistle for approx. 3-4 seconds in the early morning but I was still up. There was small windows of traffic noise in the morning where trucks using Jake Brakes on the highway right in front of us.

The inside pool is a little small, and has a "kiddie" side to it that is separated with a wall in the pool. It's rectangular, no-frills but the pool room was cool the several times we used it but so was the water. The pool surface was rough and the kids scraped their hands and feet, including their knees several times. No life guard; a couple of security cameras though.

The room is big enough for our family of 5. The Master side had a King bed, TV, two closets, a large jetted tube, two separate sink areas, master bath with shower. The other room had two twins, TV, closet, and large 2 room bathroom with sink, shower. These were separated with a living room and kitchen with eating area. This space also had your top/bottom washer and dryer. The fireplace is gas with TV on top. A semi-comfortable couch, and two non-reclinerable chairs and table round out the open plan space that is mean for living room. The eating area had a large table with L-bench-type seat on one side and that's probably sitting 4-5, and 2 chairs.then the kitchen has utensiles and dishwater, stove/oven/microwave, refridge, coffee maker, blender. Maybe we had a bad one, but the ice in our freezer automatic ice maker tasted terrrible.

There is only one small elevator in each building. And most of the parking in under each building, and the spaces are tight for vehicles of mid-size or greater to swing it and out when others are around. So guess what type of vehicles are at a resort a mile from Hersheypark? haha Hope you have parking sensors, patience, and children that listen when after parking to not swing the doors open the hardest they can.

But the location is fantastic for Hersheypark and their attractions. You can see the park from the windows. Plus there is an outlet mall adjacent to the resort property, but very limited to food (Red Robin, Wendy's, Duncan Doughnuts, Subway, Turkey Hill gas station and convenience store) but alot within 2 miles if you are able to punch up on your GPS.

The staff has been very nice, professional, and accomodating. So was the WiFi. You had to re-log in every day, but free WiFi for all of these devices was great.

So would we do this again? Possibly. If we weren't RCI owners, then we would have to try to look elsewhere and then some high prices for Hershey Hotel or something close.

Room Tip: Building 3, Top or High Floor, Even Side (street side) due to train noise
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Seamus S
There are newer reviews for The Suites at Hershey

Reviewed 24 May 2013

First, this resort is small -- only three 3-story buildings. And is located in close walking distance to Tanger Outlet Mall, fast food, mini mart; Hershey Park is about 1.5 miles away.
Next, this resort's check in process was a breeze. NO mention of "a 60-90 minute Orientation" with a $50 gas card bribe!
Third, the condo is spacious: one king bedded room with a separate garden jacuzzi tub area (plus full bathroom with shower), and the other large bedroom has two queens and a full bath that also opens to the main living area. The Huge kitchen is well stocked with enough dishes, pots, pans and utensils to make cooking at home pretty painless. And the washer dryer is actually quiet.
My kids loved the flip-a-switch to turn on the gas fireplace! Kids also got a kick out of the "old timey" televisions -- box style, vs flat screen!
Except for the kids (not mine) running up and down the halls, it was a quiet building. I could hear the train, but it wasn't bothersome.
The indoor pool is between buildings two and three, nice sized and housed in an atrium building so it feels like outdoors without the bugs. Outdoor pool wasn't open yet, and it rained every day of our vacation anyway. Speaking of which, the covered parking was such a blessing when we had two days of storm with possible hail!
I have been to other Bluegreen properties that were so enormous, it was tiring just to navigate the property. The Suites at Hershey are a quiet, clean, comfortable place to stay while you visit all the area has to offer.

Room Tip: Indoor pool is between buildings two and three. Game room is in lower level of building two.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank asiapointriders
Reviewed 13 May 2013

This resort hotel/tiimeshare was wonderful. I rented this unit online through TUG.com timeshare rentals. We stayed in a two bedrooom unit that was well equipped and security key card was even required to access the elevator. Plus it has covered parking, so that was really a plus since it rained a few afternoons and we didn't even have to get wet. Indoor pool was open and could have been a bit warmer since we visited in early May, but other than that, everything at this resort was great. They furnished everything from paper towels, dishes, and laundry detergent to a washer/dryer. Beds were very comfortable and plenty of extra pillows. The main bedroom has a king bed and the second bedroom had two full beds. Each room had a huge bath. It was a great location! Just a couple of blocks from Hershey Park and all that Hershey offers - Zoo America, Herhsey Gardens, Chocolate World, etc. Close to everything in PA - we visited the Amish Country, Philadelphia (Liberty Bell/Philadelphia Mint/Miniature Golf at the Park), Gettysburg, Hershey Park, etc. Check-in and check-out took all of 5 minutes. I would highly recommend this hotel/timeshare to anyone who is considering visiting Hershey Park and the surrounding areas of PA.

Room Tip: Other people have complained about the trains, but we were never bothered by them at all. We may ha...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank chazman629
Reviewed 11 May 2013

had a nice stay here , close to amish country and gettysburg visted both while there , did not hear the trains at all, close to all hershey attractions very clean rooms more than enough room for two people

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank wegedog
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We stayed at The Suites at Hershey for one night while visiting local attractions. It’s a timeshare resort but we were not approached about buying at all (I don’t believe they have sales personnel on staff at this location). We were four adults and one toddler (me and my husband, our son and my parents). The room, a two-bedroom suite that is the standard at this resort, was great for our group. We had the shared entrance, living room and full kitchen and dining area in between. Having a two bedroom suite meant my parents had their own bed and bathroom and so did we.

When you have a toddler and two people working off morning water pills, it’s much easier for everyone to enjoy breakfast in the room. And it’s so nice to have an actual table to use to do so! It was also nice to have the refrigerator for milk, medication and other snacks. While we didn’t prepare any meals during our short stay, had we stayed longer we definitely would have brought some groceries and taken advantage of the fully stocked kitchen.

We did not notice any noise from trains during our stay. I wish we would have stayed longer so we could make use of the indoor pool, playground and game room. During the summer there is also an outdoor pool, fire pit and grills available.

If you run out of things to do at the resort and decide to leave the property the location of this hotel is hard to beat. It’s right in the heart of the Hershey attractions. The parking lot for the hotel is connected to the parking lot for the outlets so when my husband left to pick up dinner from Red Robin he didn’t even need to navigate the local traffic. We were also within walking distance to Troegs Brewing Company which would have been very convenient for taking advantage of the daily brewery tours and tastings.

Overall we had a great stay and I’m always keeping my eye out for great deals so we can stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank jordgubben42
Reviewed 24 April 2013

We stayed at the Suites at Hershey, PA April 21-25, 2013
1. Please note...if you plug 176 East Hershey Park Drive, Hershey, PA 17033 into your GPS, it may not take you directly to the property. The latitude/longitude of the reservation office is N 40 degrees 17 minutes 773 seconds by W 76 degrees 38 minutes 646 seconds.
2. Check-in was very fast.
3. You will need your room access card (the receptionist gives you) to access the elevators so be sure to have it ready. The receptionist didn't tell us about this when we arrived.
4. The units are spacious. We had a two bedroom suite and there was plenty of room to spread out. The maximum occupancy is 8 people if you are traveling with family.
5. This would be a great timeshare to go to if you have kids or grandkids. The Hershey Theme Park is less than a mile from the timeshare.
6. If you are interested in Civil War history, the National Civil War Museum is about 20 minutes from the timeshare. The Gettysburg National Cemetery is about 1 hour from the time share. Please note that the Senior Pass given to seniors for use at National Parks isn't accepted at either attraction.
7. You might be wondering about the title of my review. There is a railroad track right behind the timeshare. Trains pass by all day/night long so if you are a light sleeper you may want to request a room in Building 3 (The Cocoa) building which is farthest from the railroad tracks. You might also ask for a room with windows that face away from the railroad tracks.
8. The high temperatures when we stayed here were in the low sixties which is about 10 degrees cooler than normal. You will need a jacket in the mornings and you can walk around in a t-shirt and shorts in the afternoon depending on how your body handles temperatures.
9. This time of year is good if you want to avoid crowds, kids, etc...The timeshare was very quiet.
10. The beds were very comfortable. I would like to have one of these beds at home.
11. The best part of the trip is that no one asked me if I wanted to attend an "Owner Update"!
12 The main reason I didn't give the timeshare a 5 was because of the noise from the trains. It wasn't unbearable but they woke me up at night when the conductors were blowing the whistles.
13. I didn't use any of the amenities (i.e. swimming pool, gazebo, etc...) so I can't comment on them.
14. I liked that you park your cars under the timeshare. That helps keep them out of the elements.
15. Tanger Outlet just across the street. You can walk it if you want.

I hope you find my review helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in Building 3 (Cocoa) with windows that face away from the railroad tracks.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank pizzaface64068
Reviewed 15 April 2013

We've been trying to stay here at the Suites at Hershey for the longest time, using one of our weeks thru RCI. We successfully got a week during my kids April break and the park happened to be open for a weekend Springtime at the Park.

Check in was easy, and we were checked in very quickly. Our room was in building one, on the second floor. Our unit was very spacious. One of the nicest RCI properties we've ever stayed at. Clean and beds very comfy. There is a full kitchen and two full baths. Unit can sleep up to 8 people. There was a washer and dryer, and pretty much everything you could need for a stay.

I will have to say that my biggest complaint, and the only reason I can't give a 5 star..... the TRAIN!!!! I know that we were in the building closest to the train, but can't imagine that it would matter much. I was woken up all night long by the train, and by the time morning rolled around, I lost count of how many times I heard that whistle! As comfy as the beds are, it was one of the worst night's sleeps....

Room Tip: Stay as far away from the train station as possible!!!!!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family