“Chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate!”

Hershey's Chocolate World
4-Day Amish Experience from New Hampshire
Ranked #1 of 6 Tours in Hershey
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Come EXPLORE THE MANY WONDERS OF CHOCOLATE at the first HERSHEY'S CHOCOLATE WORLD Attraction located in CHOCOLATETOWN, USA - Hershey, Pennsylvania! Treat yourself to an assortment of one-of-kind experiences and discover the sweetest feeling of pure happiness. Plan your chocolate adventure today! Hershey's Chocolate Tour Create Your Own Candy Bar 4D Mystery Show Chocolate Tasting Experience Hershey Trolley Works Hershey's Largest Candy Store Food Court Bakery
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stairs / lift, Baby buggy parking, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access
Medford, New Jersey, United States
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate!”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Very busy and chaotic. But if you NEED chocolate- this is the place! The Hershey Story ride is nice. We chose not to buy tickets and wait for a chance to make a candy bar- there are plenty there to purchase.

1 Thank Linda A

22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Free and fun”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We visited Chocolate World while visiting Hershey, on a day we weren't actually going into the park, so we parked our car for free in the Chocolate World parking. This parking lot is a little off the beaten path, and parking is free for up to 3 hours. Kids age 5 and 6 loved the free ride, and rode it twice. It reminded me of Disney's People Mover, but better. Very well done. The gift shop was one of the best amusement gift shops I've seen, with lots of cute and creative offerings. Not the usual schlock. HCW is a great way to kill an hour or two and you can spend more time there if you want to partake in paid attractions. We did the Trolley Works tour which I reviewed separately. When we go again, we'll skip the trolley. I'm chuckling a little at myself, because before we left this "free" attraction, we had spent $125. But, we left with souvenirs and had a great time.

1 Thank GinaNairn
Dothan
61 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Free Chocolate and cute 15 minute presentation”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Make sure you do the "factory tour". It's free, you get some chocolate and it's cute. Go in the afternoon (2-4pm) when it's less crowded. Also, the gift shop there has sale items that are cheaper than at the Hershey Story and the Hershey Lodge/ Hotel.

Columbus, Ohio
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“A bit of a disappointment”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I chose to purchase the $39.95 ticket which included all four paid activities at this attraction. The create your own candy bar was cool as I got to choose the ingredients included in my bar, the type of chocolate used, design the packaging and it was made right there in front of me! However, our guide did inform us that chocolate at the actual factory is not made like this, this was just a tourist attraction. It was still cool seeing my name show up on each station as my bar progressed down the assembly line. I enjoyed the chocolate tour ride as well, which was very informative about the town of Hershey and the life of Milton Hershey. We took a bus which was designed to look like a trolley which included a driver and tour guide (conductor) who were dressed in neat little outfits! It included a basket of several types of chocolate kisses to munch on and a chocolate bar at the end. We toured the town including the sites of the old and new factory, the vast campus of the Hershey school, etc.

However, the chocolate tasting was a waste of money, I tasted three pieces of chocolate, three of which were just regular pieces of Hershey's chocolate that I could have gotten in any store - no exotic chocolates from Switzerland or Germany to compare to Hershey. I guess I should have paid greater attention to the fact that the website only says: "Complete with Hershey's Samples". All of the information that I learned in the chocolate tasting was a repeat of what I had already heard at the Hershey Museum over on Chocolate Avenue. The 4D movie experience was deliciously corny and kid-centric, but since I am corny sometimes, I enjoyed it somewhat. However, if you are not travelling with children and are not corny, I would not recommend it.

There was a free 15 minute ride which was a simulation of the Hershey factory that was filled with singing cows! Once again corny and kid-centric, but I enjoyed it. I even got a copy of the picture that they take of you at the end for which I paid about $20 for. It was worth it to capture my time there since I probably won't be returning to Hershey any time soon.

There is a large food court inside with many different types of food availabe. It was all over-priced and didn't really strike my fancy, so I can't comment as to if the prices matched the quality. I did visit the vast gift shops of which I think there were about five which sold any type of bauble your heart could desire to commemorate your visit to Hershey.

Knowing the story of Milton Hershey and the school for boys he and his wife began as a result of them not being able to conceive their own child was inspiring (as told on the chocolate tour ride). I would have loved to take a tour through the actual factory, but I guess that would be unsanitary, having so many people walking through the place while the chocolate is being made.

Overall, it was a very touristy attraction which had its pluses and its minuses. If they could improve the chocolate tasting, that would surely be an awesome experience instead of the hum-drum that it was.

Visited May 2014
6 Thank Kimberly B
Hickory, North Carolina
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Too many animatronic cows”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I was disappointed in my latest visit to Hershey's Chocolate World. Gone are the beautiful murals on the way to the free ride, depicting the tropical rainforest and the journey of the cocoa bean to Hershey. The murals were a fascinating prelude to the tour itself. Through the years we also saw the lovely diorama of Lancaster County that was previously part of the ride disappear and be replaced by tacky, singing animatronic cows, and now there are even more.
The other features of Chocolate World are interesting but pricey, as is the food court. There is a lot of variety in the products available, and some that cannot be found at regular stores, but you won't find any factory specials here!